Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL problems

So I've had my BDB since 2016. In the early years (meaning, while under warranty) it leaked. Breville fixed it under warranty. I have since learned all about DIY maintenance of this device. I've replaced O-rings, rebuilt the steam wand valve, and replaced the solenoid.

Lately, it hasn't been putting out much steam. I've never descaled. I use Culligan home delivery water. So since the machine has been reminding me over the last couple years that I should descale, I figured let's try it. I used Dezcal powder, one packet mixed with 1 L of water, per the directions.

The descale went without issue. The water came out clear. I don't think there was any scale build up. I flushed the boilers several times.

But now it's acting wacky. Specifically, the steam boiler will fill up and heat up. I try for steam, and I get 3 beeps. But I do get steam! I get varying amounts of steam, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

But, if I leave it sitting for a while, the pump for the steam boiler will kick back on, and stay on. If I open the steam wand valve, it will keep pumping water, right through the steam wand.

Took the lid off, looking for leaks. Not finding any.

I've flushed the boilers probably close to 10 times now, because I now find out that Dezcal residue in the boilers messes up the sensors. All the flushing hasn't helped.

Inside, I've poked around with a multimeter.

Is it normal to measure 120 VAC on the outer shell of the steam boiler, even when the power is off (but plugged in)?

It's been a while since I replaced O-rings, so I don't remember for sure, but I've probably done it while it was plugged in, but powered off. Of course I didn't get shocked, that I would remember. So I'm thinking this is not normal to measure mains voltage on these parts.

Now that I think about it, I think I remember reading that the heater coil could short out like that, passing AC voltage into the water, probably causing these symptoms. Maybe the Dezcal really did kill it.

So what do you guys think?

Sounds like the most linkely explanation. It also sounds like the power point you have it plugged into does not have RCD protection. I can't state this plainly enough: UNPLUG THE MACHINE FROM THE WALL AND DO NOT PLUG IT IN AGAIN. I also cannot recommend highly enough that you get RCD protection on all your power point circuits.

Comment

Roger that. You are correct, that outlet isn't protected, even though the one right next to it is.

Looks like it's time to call Breville.

Comment

Working...
      X