Kitchen Aid Steam Wand Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitchen Aid Steam Wand Upgrade

I just joined this forum and I cant believe all the things I was thinking had been discussed by people before. I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say that I also thought the steam wand was pathetic, especially when trying to clean it (the end just slips off).

I dont think Ill have the guts to change it myself either. Im hoping the service guy will do it for me.

Cheers all.

Comment

Re: Kitchen Aid Steam Wand Upgrade

I realise I am reviving a very old thread, but I thought I'd post that I too have upgraded my Kitchen Aid Steam Wand with the aid of user wrstikoff's post above (and the linked Picassa album of photos).

Thank you so much for the photos - it made it very simple indeed.

It took about 90 mins in total, and most of this was me taking it apart a second time to hunt down a leak (I didn't test it as thoroughly as I should have done before I put it back together).

In case anyone else is interested, I replaced the wand with a Rancilio Silvia (v1/v2) wand, which cost 11.95GBP from Amazon. It fitted with no modifications required, although a I used a couple of extra o-rings and some PTFE tape to get a good seal with the new wand.

It seems to be working well, but time will tell how robust the mod is.

Thanks again for the very useful info in this post, and I hope someone finds my additional info useful too.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by roblevine View Post
        I realise I am reviving a very old thread, but I thought I'd post that I too have upgraded my Kitchen Aid Steam Wand with the aid of user wrstikoff's post above (and the linked Picassa album of photos).

Thank you so much for the photos - it made it very simple indeed.

It took about 90 mins in total, and most of this was me taking it apart a second time to hunt down a leak (I didn't test it as thoroughly as I should have done before I put it back together).

In case anyone else is interested, I replaced the wand with a Rancilio Silvia (v1/v2) wand, which cost 11.95GBP from Amazon. It fitted with no modifications required, although a I used a couple of extra o-rings and some PTFE tape to get a good seal with the new wand.

It seems to be working well, but time will tell how robust the mod is.

Thanks again for the very useful info in this post, and I hope someone finds my additional info useful too.

Cheers,

Rob
        Hi Rob!

I have a question for you.

How did you fasten the v1 wand do that there were no leaks? Did you have to modify the wand for it to fit?

I have the same, and it's always been leaking slightly from the wand/nut connection, not where the nut is attached to the valve.

How and where did you place o-rings? Did you use some kind of lubricant?

@all: I've also been thinking of upgrading the wand to a rancilio silvia v3, anyone here with experiences with that wand?

Best,
        Christoffer

Comment

Okay, I bought the Rancilio Silvia V3 wand, and successfully installed it to my KitchenAid. I explained the process in another post, here. Hope this helps someone!

Comment

KitchenAid + Rancilio Silvia V3 wand

Hi again,

I now successfully completed the upgrade from Rancilio Silvia V1 to V3. Here's how I did it:

Alright,

I grew tired of the Rancilio Silvia v1 wand, and pulled the trigger on the v3.

The nut on the v3 is too large (3/8" female vs 1/4" female in the v1/2) to screw into place directly. Therefore you'll need a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter.

With the reducing nipple in place the wand fits the valve fine, the problem being that it doesn't fit through the hole made for the wand anymore. I just took a rough file to it, and after 5 minutes of filing and trying the hole for size it fit perfectly.

Other than the above, I applied teflon tape on the threads, and I took the spring and the white plastic piece from inside the nut in the original KitchenAid frother, which puts some pressure on the ball joint, perhaps helping with the seal. These seem to be included in some of the V3 upgrade kits, make sure they are to be on the safe side.

I did take some pictures detailing the process - but as I'm not able to attach anything to the post directly I instead uploaded them to the cloud. Here's the link: KitchenAid + Rancilio Silvia V3 wand

The v3 looks so much better than the v1, and at least for now, doesn't leak at all. I'm happy - for now

Best,
            Christoffer
            The above is taken directly from my post in the other KitchenAid thread, here.

Comment

Originally posted by ckarv View Post
              Hi again,

I now successfully completed the upgrade from Rancilio Silvia V1 to V3. Here's how I did it:

The above is taken directly from my post in the other KitchenAid thread, here.

Hi ckarv,

Sorry for the delay in not getting back to you - I didn't notice your post!

It's sounds like you've got everything sorted out in the meantime. Congratulations

To answer your previous question anyway: I didn't use any lubricant but did wrap some PTFE tape around the thread to the nut.

For the o-rings, I had to experiment a bit and, unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the final configuration.
              If I remember correctly I had an arrangement of one or two o-rings around the shaft of the wand and a further one or two whose inner diameter was slightly smaller than the wand pushed up into the valve. This meant when the wand was bolted in, the top of the wand was pressed up against these.

I think I might need to replace my valve anyway (unrelated failure), so if I get in there again I'll take pics this time.

Rob

Comment

• vanko21
                vanko21 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello,
                Has anyone made any improvements to the topic?
                I'm "repairing" now KitchenAid.
                If there is any news .... please for guidance.
                What to use? Rancilio Silvia V3?
                Thanks.

Здравейте,
              някой направил ли е някакви подобрения по темата?
              "Ремонтирам" сега KitchenAid.
              Ако има някакви новини .... моля за насоки.
              Какво да използвате? Rancilio Silvia V3?
              Благодаря.

Comment

You'll find you'll get far more responses if you use English.

Java "" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hello,
                  I apologize a lot!
                  has anyone done anything similar on the topic?
                  I'm "repairing" KitchenAid now.
                  If there is any news .... please for guidance.
                  What to use? Rancilio Silvia V3?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X