Breville Bambino Plus: looking for tips/hacks and mods to maximize shot quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ProfessorEgg View Post
    I ended up buying the Pesado basket. There isn’t an IMS reference like the Amazon one, it just says “PSDBV18g by IMS” on one side and “Pesado 26 Made in Italy” on the other.
    Let’s us know how you find it mate.

Comment

Will do! Waiting for my grinder to arrive next month so I can try it with some fresh beans, right now I'm still using the free Veneziano pre-ground coffee that came with the Breville Father's Day promotion 😂

Comment

Will do! Waiting for my grinder to arrive next month so I can try it with some fresh beans, right now I'm still using the free Veneziano pre-ground coffee that came with the Breville Father's Day promotion 😂
        I just picked up a Bambino Plus, also looking at these baskets. Are they compatible with the stock portafilter, or need a Pesado pf to match?

Comment

Originally posted by WoweeZowee View Post

I just picked up a Bambino Plus, also looking at these baskets. Are they compatible with the stock portafilter, or need a Pesado pf to match?
          Can confirm they're compatible with the stock portafilter. It fits tighter than the stock double wall basket because the Pesado has straight sides all the way down, but it fits well!

Comment

Can confirm they're compatible with the stock portafilter. It fits tighter than the stock double wall basket because the Pesado has straight sides all the way down, but it fits well!
            Thanks! Going to order an 18gm now.

Are you picking up any other 54mm accessories? Naked portafilter, tamper?

Comment

• ProfessorEgg
              ProfessorEgg commented
              Editing a comment
              Nah probably not, not for the time being anyway :P

Someone mentioned removing the plastic piece from the stock portafilter.... I have a Breville Bambino Plus and even though I've purchased a bottomless portafilter and a non pressurized basket for it , I am still using the stock pressurized portafilter until I can get the hang of dialing in my shot. Is the plastic piece in the stock portafilter the one that can be removed? Or is it the one on the regular Bambino model

Comment

• level3ninja
              level3ninja commented
              Editing a comment
              Dialling in shot with a pressurised basket is completely different to a non-pressurised basket, and will throw you for a loop when you first switch. I would suggest ditching the pressurised basket unless you plan to stick with it forever.

Originally posted by JAVAPADAWAN View Post
            Is the plastic piece in the stock portafilter the one that can be removed? Or is it the one on the regular Bambino model
            I have suggested removing it. Was based on a comment regarding the pf for the Sunbeam EM6910. Having the plastic in there just gives a place for gunk and grime to breed. I have noticed no different in the shots having removed it.

Comment

Originally posted by jafa1970 View Post

I have suggested removing it. Was based on a comment regarding the pf for the Sunbeam EM6910. Having the plastic in there just gives a place for gunk and grime to breed. I have noticed no different in the shots having removed it.
              If you are planning to get an IMS/Pesado basket it won’t fit with the plastic insert there as these see bigger baskets.

An easy way to remove it is to first warm the whole PF with boiling water.. then push the plastic insert out. That’s for the Bambino stock portafilters

Comment

Howdy Y'all. First post.
                Want to share two Bambino 'hacks' I haven't seen here.

In general, I use it in manual mode and weigh my shots.
                Bottomless portafilter, single wall basket, DIY WDT, calibrated tamper (all cheap Amazon stuff)
                The (new) grinder is the 1Zpresso JE-Plus (big difference) from the Virtuoso and Zassenhaus Santiago.

1) I cut an Aeropress filter to use on top of the puck to smooth out the showerhead flow.

2) I figured out a simple way to extend my preinfusion which is usually maxed out at 5 seconds:
                I preinfuse to the max allowed, then start and immediately stop the brew, then repeat as per usual.
                This 10 second pre-infusion completely changes the texture and extraction and might help with lighter roasts too.
                I say 'might' as I am medium roast kinda guy...

Comment

• Mochi
                  Mochi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can do manual pre infusion up to ten seconds by holding either of the shot buttons. After ten seconds the bambino automatically switches to full pump flow and pressure and runs until the button is pressed again or 60 seconds has been reached. Probably an easier way of getting a longer pre infusion.

I really wish this machine allowed for longer pre infusion times like the Barrista Pro allows for.

I replaced the stock shower screen with the IMS shower screen (this is different to the IMS basket), so far I wouldn't say it is worth it and am thinking of returning it. I notice more channelling in the centre of the puck after I pull a shot. To compensate I have to reduce the dose so that the puck isn't as close to the shower screen.

I'll pull a few more shots before deciding to return it.

Comment

• RenWid
                  RenWid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you have to do anything with the hole for the screw? Seen some sites claiming you have to increase it by 0.5mm but it can be done with a screw driver.

What bottomless portafilters are people using? Seems to be some cheap/well reviewed options around but also consistent reporting that the fit isn’t great which is holding me back.

Comment

• jafa1970
                  jafa1970 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought one from Seven Trees Coffee in Perth. Works fine, have not had any issues with it.

• RenWid
                  RenWid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought a Neouza from Amazon, thinking that I would start with something cheap to see if I could live with the change to the Bambino+. Not only does it fit better than the Brevuille original (no need to hold the machine when inserting) but the 25+g basket that it came with is better than the Breville single walls, though I have aready bought an IMS competizione (had to order it from Ireland), which in my opinion is the most important mod, after a good grinder.

• WoweeZowee
                  WoweeZowee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @renwild thanks I’ve just ordered the same Portafilter. I’ve already got a Pesado basket.
                  Picked up the generic looking distributor/tamper they all seem to sell as well.

What bottomless portafilters are people using? Seems to be some cheap/well reviewed options around but also consistent reporting that the fit isn’t great which is holding me back.
                I bought one off amazon which fits okay. A really good bottomless filter you can find here: https://pesado.com.au/collections/naked

I have the dual spout version as I wanted something that could split shots better than the provided one that came with the Bambino Plus. Fits really well into this machine and I assume the bottomless version would be the same.

Comment

Lance Hendrick posted an instagram story where he did the dimmer switch mod on the bambino plus. Which essentially controls the current to the pump allowing for manual control of the flow rate and pressure from the pump.

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that portafilters fitting the Bambino Plus will also fit the standard Bambino?

Comment

• rastanac
                      rastanac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, they should fit across both.

RenWid Did you get your IMS competizione from Blue Star Coffee (EU)? How did you go with the shipping, how much was it?

I am also rocking the Breville Bambino Plus + Smart Grinder Pro combo, and has been keen on trying a different filter basket (haven't decided whether to get the IMS or Pesado).

Thanks!

Comment

• RenWid
                      RenWid commented
                      Editing a comment
                      rastanac They offer EU3 bulk mail shipping (no tracking, no insurance), took about 3 weeks. Total was $30 with shipping and CC charges
                  Working...
                  X