Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will any 58mm naked portafilter fit gaggia classic pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will any 58mm naked portafilter fit gaggia classic pro?

hello. after 8 years of a lurker here, i finally took the plunge!
    upgraded from a delonghi magnifica S (4 years still "going strong") to a gaggia classic pro ($630)

and without any experience with manuals, the first 10 shots pulled were already some much more flavoursome than the delonghi.

problem i have is to fit a cup under the portafilter and so am looking to get a proper coffee cup (as opposed to mugs) and a naked portafilter hoping to fit them under the brew head and hopefully accomodate a small scale as well.

the gaggia one is quite exxy and i was wondering if ANY 58mm portafilter will be ok? there are some going in amazon around the 30-50 dollar mark.

many thanks in advance from a newbie.

The Gaggia should take a standard 58mm filter basket.
    You could also try removing the drip tray cover so you can fit your coffee mug under the grouphead.

Comment

flynnaus hi. when i remove the filter basket there's a thingeemagee cone under, so changing the filter basket alone doesn't solve my problem with the 2 spouts under the portafilter?

i have tried removing the metal drip tray yea, but that means that i have to tilt the cup to get it out which is a real pain? it disturbs the beautifully done crema?

Comment

Hmmm. Better go for a cup then and keep your mugs for your Aeropress or plunger brews.
        I'm not sure what you mean by a 'thingeemagee cone'. IA bit of a google search revealed that the Pro might be using a portafilter with three lugs (to lock it into the grouphead) rather than the usual two.

Comment

IIRC someone was marketing a shallower drip tray for the Classic to give more cup space.
          I fear it was more expensive than a naked filter holder.
          If you were closer I would happily modify your standard porta-filter with a hole saw.
          It is a simple job if you know someone with a drill press but again, the hole saw bit is not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by andysydney2003 View Post
            the gaggia one is quite exxy and i was wondering if ANY 58mm portafilter will be ok?
            As a general rule no, portafilters are proprietary. Most (not all) E61 group heads have interchangable PFs but thats unusual. You'll need one that specifically fits a Gaggia Classic.

I assume from your name you're in Sydney? I am in the Liverpool LGA, but once all these sparkling Covid restrictions are over you're welcome to drop in and I'll convert to naked it for you. Alternatively you can post it to me and I'll post it back but you'll be without it for a little while. Or if you buy one you can get it sent directly to me and I can pay it to you.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the standard E61 portafilter will not fit a Gaggia 58mm grouphead. The locking lugs on a Gaggia portafilter are not at the 'quarter past nine' position, rather at the 'ten past seven' position. Then there's the thickness of the lugs which may prevent the handle from locking in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpeg-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	874192

So while you use just about any 58mm basket or tamper, you are probably only able to use Gaggia portafilters or compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post

As a general rule no, portafilters are proprietary. Most (not all) E61 group heads have interchangable PFs but thats unusual. You'll need one that specifically fits a Gaggia Classic.

I assume from your name you're in Sydney? I am in the Liverpool LGA, but once all these sparkling Covid restrictions are over you're welcome to drop in and I'll convert to naked it for you. Alternatively you can post it to me and I'll post it back but you'll be without it for a little while. Or if you buy one you can get it sent directly to me and I can pay it to you.
              thanks dude. yea i’m in sydney but seeing the replies here will probably invest in a gaggia specific naked one at some stage. thanks for the offer though - very generous of you mate!

Comment

Andy sydney, you may be able to get some more clearance just by unscrewing the spouts off the bottom of your portafilter

Comment

Working...
                X