Rancilio Silvia Tips+Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia Tips+Upgrades

Finally got an espresso setup after falling down the specialty coffee rabbit hole 18 years ago, was brewing v60 and aeropress up until now.

Just got a eureka specialita and rancilio silvia and loving it so far, my question is what workflow tips do you guys have for this machine and what upgrades other than PID have you found usefull?
    i see some people like to steam before pulling the shot and others steam after. Also what small upgrades are worth getting over time I know theres a myriad of things out there like upgraded shower screens, bigger baskets, distribution tools and precision tampers.

Thanks, Andre.

Correction, meant to say 18 months not years sorry

Comment

A few small things that made good improvements for me were a VST basket, WDS tool, funnel and dosing cup.

Comment

currently eying an upgraded basket heard they make a good difference. you think a VST basket is worth the extra money over something like a pullman? also what size basket are you running? i think my silvia came with a 14 gram from factory but i see alot of people use baskets in the range of 18-20 is there any reason for that other than preferred dose size?

Comment

The traditional Italian shot size is 7g per shot (so 14g for a double). Modern espresso uses around 10g (or sometimes more) per shot. Since your portafilter will take ridged baskets well, you don't have to pay VST money to get a VST basket. You can buy La Marzocco Strada Precision baskets, which are pretty much identical to ridged VST baskets but cheaper (from same factory but slightly different QC process). Also slightly different sizes. Search Google for "Strada Precision Filter Basket 17g La Marzocco" to find where to buy them.

Comment

Thanks ninja I'll give them a suss

Comment

Originally posted by Andre843 View Post
              what workflow tips do you guys have for this machine and what upgrades other than PID have you found usefull?
              One of the most noticeable improvements in the cup for me on my old Sivlia came from adjusting the pressure down from the 10bar or so it came set at.

Comment

Nice. What pressure are you running at now? Heard some people like 6.5 bars over 9. Haven't tested mine yet so I'm not sure what it's running from factory.How did you test your pressure?

Comment

I ended up settling at 8.5bar but did not try 6. 8.5 produced very tasty shots for me.
                  I borrowed Greg Pullman's loaner gauge https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...ge-on-the-road to help set the pressure back.

Comment

• Andre843
                    Andre843 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome I might give that a try

Hey Andre, I've been looking at getting a Silvia for a while... but am now thinking I should invest a little more and get a unit with a PID.

How are you going with your Silvia... I'm not really looking to mod so wondering if I should keep looking for a unit with a PID.

Cheers

Comment

• Andre843
                    Andre843 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm thoroughly enjoying my machine currently without a pid and am enjoying the shots I've been pulling, no doubt a PID would improve its consistancy and workflow but in its factory state ive had a good experience.

as it's the only espresso machine I've owned its hard for me to provide an objective review because I don't have experience with other machines.

What's your budget for a machine? I think if your budget allows considering something with a PID from factory should be a consideration if you're not looking to mod.
                Working...
                X