Odyssey Espresso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odyssey Espresso

What does everyone think about Odyssey Espresso? Proposed price of $US850 for base model with options to add spring, gauges etc. Seems like a great option if looking around La Pavoni pricing.

I’m just waiting to be able to order one.
    Orders should open in about a week and maybe delivery by Christmas.
    Hopefully it is at least as stable as a LP and preferably even more so.
    Up to 50ml shots PID, thermocoupled group, spring or direct lever, solid stainless steel, analogue or digital pressure gauge.
    Hard to go wrong.

Comment

• Caffeinator
      Caffeinator commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. The only weird thing is the switch placement. I am otherwise tempted.

• amberale
      amberale commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll just put it on a smart plug anyway and I can’t see me using the steam very often.
      On the other hand he is a self admitted cappuccino nut so the steam may be fantastic.
      I just hope it doesn’t all collapse, I think the market is open to a modern LP category machine.
      The mini Londinium might fit the bill but I fear it will be closer to the Strietman in price.

Do you think the 58mm portafilter is a good move?

Comment

• yochiya
      yochiya commented
      Editing a comment
      The flair 58 is reasonably comparable and a huge success.

I'd be interested to understand your reservation. Why would it be a bad idea?

• TailorCoffee
      TailorCoffee commented
      Editing a comment
      probably only because theres so much talk about the LSM groups 54mm basket size helping create a more forgiving shot with the deeper puck.

• yochiya
      yochiya commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, always wondered what the deal was.

I'm super excited and Love everything about it on paper. Keen on the pricing with the extras especially the spring. Would be awesome to swop in and out.

Comment

What are the advantages over a La Pavoni?

Comment

• amberale
        amberale commented
        Editing a comment
        For me it is a modern design with PID temperature control, SS piston and group no plastic.
        It has the options of a 6bar spring an 8 bar spring or manual lever all in the one package, an in house option of analogue or electronic pressure gauge and it promises the ability to be plumbed in the future.
        Lets not even mention the Geeky datalogging.
        Ok, we are taking a lot on trust at the moment but i haven’t spent any money yet either.
        I don’t understand the negative comments I am hearing.
        Why wouldn’t people be happy to see someone trying to make this?

keeping a close eye on this. hoping to put a preorder in next week unless shipping prices to Au is expensive. havent had a lever before, but this would probably be a great addition to my Mara X setup

Comment

Is the pre-order price of $850 discounted? I guess it is otherwise there is not a huge incentive to preorder.

One thing that someone pointed out was a misalignment between the switches raising some build quality concerns. Have a look the the vid at 42s, image attached.

I'm chalking it up to it being a demo model, bad camera angle and bad eyes. But not too sure I'd be happy if it turns out the be like that.

Still excited to see how it comes out.
        Attached Files

Comment

• amberale
          amberale commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not at all stressed about the switches or the drop of water from the steam wand/boiler connection in todays video of a shot.
          This is still the prototype and doesn’t even have the trim on.
          It is a bit disappointing that they have left themselves open to disparaging comments by going early with the publicity but people(myself included) have been hassling them for details for months.

If the pricing is around $1000 then ill be all over it. been thinking about a la pavoni, but might wait now for this... the option to run a spring or full manual is very tantalising.

Comment

• amberale
          amberale commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m guessing $1200-1500 aud landed in Oz.
          I’m budgeting $2k aud for one with the lot plus fries.

So black or white folks?

Comment

• amberale
          amberale commented
          Editing a comment
          I want polished stainless.
          I’m interested in how polished chrome ceramic coating would affect the thermal stability.
          I’m also interested in Carbon Fibre wrapping the top plate and side panels.
          Either would also give some protection from the hot surfaces.

• yochiya
          yochiya commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you are on the money there. Polished stainless is certainly looking on point. CF wrap sounds like an awesome idea.
          Last edited by yochiya; 6 August 2021, 12:08 PM. Reason: typo

• Lyrebird
          Lyrebird commented
          Editing a comment
          Amberale

I don't think the coating will have any appreciable effect on thermal stability.

FWIW carbon fibre wrapping the panels won't give you much protection from hot panels: Across the fibre lay the thermal conductivity of CF in epoxy is about the same as glass but it's much thinner : about 0.3mm per lamina so figure 0.6mm if your wrapped in double laminate (which is what I did to my Izzo Alex). That gives a thermal performance similar to that of a Pyrex beaker, not your first choice for insulation. Also be aware that ordinary epoxies don't like high temperatures and you need a controlled temperature curing oven for the ones that can handle higher temps.

You can add insulation in the form of things like nomex honeycomb / CF sandwich panel but that gets very expensive very quickly.

We've been following the development for months and I've gotta say, it looks super impressive and innovative. Ignoring the couple of small things already mentioned from the prototype video, which I have no doubt will be fixed up for production (that's what prototypes are for), from the attention to detail shown in the development process, the build quality is looking like it will be top notch. Add to that the features, like the PID temp control,flexibility of lever brewing methods, proper steam wand, the ability to geek out on all the data that will be available on the app, etc.

If it lives up to the expectations (I'm optimistic) and looking at the price point that it is looking at coming in at, it's definitely looking like a winner.

Steve

And definitely the chrome finish for me...

Comment

Originally posted by yochiya View Post
          So black or white folks?
          White for me. Nice clean lines.

Comment

• amberale
            amberale commented
            Editing a comment
            Just so hard to keep clean.
            If my P64 was black then I would go for the black one.
            Hmm….

There is a new vid up, building a little bit of hype it seems. Holy crapoly I'm giddy though.

Comment

Anybody seen any mention of any level of electrical compliance anywhere? CE would be a good start towards inspiring my confidence to open the cash stash.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
              Anybody seen any mention of any level of electrical compliance anywhere? CE would be a good start towards inspiring my confidence to open the cash stash.
              I haven't even seen mention of voltages yet (but might have missed that). Has anyone said 230v ones are being built?

I doubt it will have UL cert yet and CE would be a fairway off and SAA for AU/NZ maybe never is my guess unless a local distributor wants to invest half a year into getting it.

It's going to need a bit of work to meet any cert at the moment, currently looks like 1970's Italian wiring although they do appear to have used more than one colour wire

Click image for larger version

Name:	4O9A9041.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	876668

Cool project and cute gizmo but with only a few prototypes made I expect it's a fair way from being certified anywhere. Electrical certification is a long process, we've done it many times and it's a headache and never gets easier, only more ridiculous each time the previous certification expires.

Comment

• Caffeinator
                Caffeinator commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like they're going the Decent model I think. No local distribution whispers so far on the grapevine.

• amberale
                amberale commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely talking about 110v and 240v units from the start.
                Apparently working towards CE certification once orders commence.

• GoatKing
                GoatKing commented
                Editing a comment
                The Decent model was a big part of me opting not getting the DE1. It's like $1000 in shipping costs alone.

“Amberale

I don't think the coating will have any appreciable effect on thermal stability.

FWIW carbon fibre wrapping the panels won't give you much protection from hot panels: Across the fibre lay the thermal conductivity of CF in epoxy is about the same as glass but it's much thinner : about 0.3mm per lamina so figure 0.6mm if your wrapped in double laminate (which is what I did to my Izzo Alex). That gives a thermal performance similar to that of a Pyrex beaker, not your first choice for insulation. Also be aware that ordinary epoxies don't like high temperatures and you need a controlled temperature curing oven for the ones that can handle higher temps.

You can add insulation in the form of things like nomex honeycomb / CF sandwich panel but that gets very expensive very quickly.”

Hi LB.
              I’m not sure just what effect proper thermal ceramic powder coating would have.
              I have used it before on extractors on old sports cars.
              I have no idea if it boosted HP(possibly into the 70hp mark, total not improvement) but it definitely lowered under-bonnet temps.
              The carbon fibre figures surprise me a bit but my experience with them is as heat shields on motorcycles and in those situations there is usually a gap on either side of the CF rather than a tight “wrap”.

I seem to remember Ross indicating that the thermal mass and properties of the stainless components is used in the controls/algorithms for the Argos’ heat management.
              That makes me ponder what effect modifying the thermal loss properties of the top plate and group would have.
              I’m not concerned about it, just brainstorming and wondering about touching hot spots.
              Sorry about the laymans terms.

Comment

Working...
              X