Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I killed my Silvia

This is partly a whinge, partly a question.   :P

I have CFS, which leaves my powers of concentration something to be desired.    Because of this, twice now, I have left Silvia on, when I finished making coffee.  :-[ Both times, the steamer was on as well.

I could kick myself – I remembered to clean the spout after steaming the milk, I just didn’t turn it off.  The first time I had visitors, the second time I was running late for a meeting.  Both times, Silvia was dead next time I went to use it.  All lights on, not heating.  

First time, I was lucky enough to have a visitor who helped cart her down the stairs (and was still around to cart her back up)  I took her to the coffee shop around the corner where I bought her.  He said he will have a look, to see if he could fix her or it needs to go to the doctors.  Rang me half an hour later that she just needed to be reset.  I said, why didn’t I think of that – I could have done that.  He said no, it needs to be taken apart to do that.

This time I wasn’t so lucky.  It happened Friday.  I made my morning coffee, didn’t get home until about 4, which is when I discovered it was still on, but it was no longer heating.  No volunteers to cart her down the stairs (no fun when you have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel).  When I got there, he said he couldn’t look at her, was short staffed.  So, no coffee machine all weekend.  

Just phoned them, it is fixed, so I presume it needed a reset again.

Now, for my questions.  

Is it normal for this to happen?  Or is there some underlying fault?  After all, it is supposed to be OK to leave it on to warm up (realising of course, that one wouldn’t leave the steamer to “warm up”  ;D).  And if it is normal, is it really that hard to reset it?  I’m presuming that I may do this again (although I’ll try very hard not to  ) so I don’t want to have to cart it down the stairs and back again each time (and although he didn’t charge the first time, he probably will, this time)

Re: I killed my Silvia

Originally posted by Judy link=1148872402/0#0 date=1148872402
    This is partly a whinge, partly a question.   :P

I have CFS, which leaves my powers of concentration something to be desired.    Because of this, twice now, I have left Silvia on, when I finished making coffee.  :-[ Both times, the steamer was on as well.

I could kick myself – I remembered to clean the spout after steaming the milk, I just didn’t turn it off.  The first time I had visitors, the second time I was running late for a meeting.  Both times, Silvia was dead next time I went to use it.  All lights on, not heating.  

First time, I was lucky enough to have a visitor who helped cart her down the stairs (and was still around to cart her back up)  I took her to the coffee shop around the corner where I bought her.  He said he will have a look, to see if he could fix her or it needs to go to the doctors.  Rang me half an hour later that she just needed to be reset.  I said, why didn’t I think of that – I could have done that.  He said no, it needs to be taken apart to do that.

This time I wasn’t so lucky.  It happened Friday.  I made my morning coffee, didn’t get home until about 4, which is when I discovered it was still on, but it was no longer heating.  No volunteers to cart her down the stairs (no fun when you have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel).  When I got there, he said he couldn’t look at her, was short staffed.  So, no coffee machine all weekend.  

Just phoned them, it is fixed, so I presume it needed a reset again.

Now, for my questions.  

Is it normal for this to happen?  Or is there some underlying fault?  After all, it is supposed to be OK to leave it on to warm up (realising of course, that one wouldn’t leave the steamer to “warm up”  ;D).  And if it is normal, is it really that hard to reset it?  I’m presuming that I may do this again (although I’ll try very hard not to  ) so I don’t want to have to cart it down the stairs and back again each time (and although he didn’t charge the first time, he probably will, this time)
    Judy- the behaviour is normal for the machine as the boiler does not have an auto-fill function. The reset is simple and we could show you how to do it in the next CS gathering....NB never poke around in a "live" machine...i.e always unplug it....

Might I suggest that its a good idea not to forget to turn the machine off if it will be idle for some time as you have been lucky so far. Usually it will only be a matter of a reset...however, one day the element will go and then youre looking at the best part of $250-300 to replace the boiler and its fixed element...Beware!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1148872402/0#1 date=1148888248
      Might I suggest that its a good idea NOT to forget to turn the machine off if it will be idle for some time as you have been lucky so far. Usually it will only be a matter of a reset...however, one day the element will go and then youre looking at the best part of $250-300 to replace the boiler and its fixed element...Beware!

Chris
      Hi Judy,

I can sympathise with your predicament. A couple of strokes a few years ago have left me with Short Term Memory and Concentration problems that usually frustrate the hell out of me for remembering to follow-through on the simplest of day to day tasks. As a result, I have discovered that I need to develop routines for all these tasks, including brewing my espressos.

I just practise them (the tasks) until theyre down pat and then never deviate.... unless some change to hardware or sequence dictates the necessity to review the routine. Im not saying you have to go to these lengths as my situation is quite extreme, but maybe just developing and practising mental check-lists for these sorts of things will reduce their recurrence.

The doctor has now left the building.....

Mal.

Comment

Judy,
        The safety thermostat isnt meant to be used as a quasi switch and only has a limited life span. It will fail one day and if it does, youll be up for a new thermostat, element, and most likely a new boiler as well.
        My suggestion is to make post it notes or a label maker your friend. Stick the label or post it in an appropriate part of the machine to remind you to turn it off .
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Judy,
          why dont you purchase a powerpoint timer thingymahgiggy..
          i have one that turns on at 6am and then turns off at 9am
          too easy.
          you can override it when you need to and have it turn on and off when ever you want. cheap as from Mr Bunning.!

Comment

All good suggestions gang! Anything to save the cost of a new boiler and other bits... Thats the best thing about this place...

C

Comment

A bit off topic , but I just have to express my surprise:

In a shop I recently saw a standard Silvia for sale with a price tag of almost $960!!

What the??

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1148872402/0#2 date=1148908440

I can sympathise with your predicament. A couple of strokes a few years ago have left me with Short Term Memory and Concentration problems that usually frustrate the hell out of me for remembering to follow-through on the simplest of day to day tasks. As a result, I have discovered that I need to develop routines for all these tasks, including brewing my espressos.

I just practise them (the tasks) until theyre down pat and then never deviate.... unless some change to hardware or sequence dictates the necessity to review the routine. Im not saying you have to go to these lengths as my situation is quite extreme, but maybe just developing and practising mental check-lists for these sorts of things will reduce their recurrence.

The doctor has now left the building.....

Mal.
                I also get myself into routines with these sort of things, which works great until someone or something interrupts my concentraton. This time for instance, all it took was me glancing at the clock while cleaning the spout, and thinking "oh s**t, Im late". Seems, I fogot to turn it off, just picked up the coffee and ran to the bedroom with it to finish dressing :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lovey link=1148872402/0#3 date=1148966427
                  My suggestion is to make post it notes or a label maker your friend. Stick the label or post it in an appropriate part of the machine to remind you to turn it off .
                  Hope this helps.
                  I think the post-it would need to be stuck to the middle of my forehead ;D Normally, it is like a reflex thing, I clean the spout, open the valve to let the pressure out and turn it off. Even turn it off at th power point. Except when I get rudely interrupted by my brain.

Comment

Originally posted by KoNG link=1148872402/0#4 date=1148970410
                    Judy,
                    i have one that turns on at 6am and then turns off at 9am
                    too easy.
                    you can override it when you need to and have it turn on and off when ever you want. cheap as from Mr Bunning.!
                    Hey, thats a great idea! Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1148872402/0#5 date=1148970603
                      All good suggestions gang! Anything to save the cost of a new boiler and other bits... Thats the best thing about this place...

C

Yes, I agree! Than you very much, everyone! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Judy link=1148872402/0#9 date=1149079003
                        Originally posted by KoNG link=1148872402/0#4 date=1148970410
                        Judy,
                        i have one that turns  on  at  6am and then turns  off at 9am
                        too easy.
                        Hey, thats a great idea!  Thank you very much!
                        I find it really helpfull too..
                        the only thing is sometimes its too helpful and i wil arrive home to a still packed basket, and group handle in the head..

did you find yourself a timer...?

Comment

Originally posted by KoNG link=1148872402/0#11 date=1149124912

did you find yourself a timer...?
                          Not yet, only read the post last night ;D

Comment

Originally posted by KoNG link=1148872402/0#11 date=1149124912

I find it really helpfull too..
                            the only thing is sometimes its too helpful and i wil arrive home to a still packed basket, and group handle in the head..
                            Funnily enough, I have never done that! Possibly because I start cleaning the head while waiting for the steamer to come to temperature.

Comment

;D , im normally trying to find my steaming jug at that point... fridge, freezer, drying rack, dirty dishes pile..... or still next to silvia from the day before..?!?!? ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X