EM6900 Reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6900 Reliability

Reading this and other web sites all you seem to see are people complaining about their EM6900 not working properly, some are onto their 3rd replacement machine. Is this a biased view from a few with problems or symptomatic of the model. Is there anyone out there who has not had a problem with their EM6900? I also read somewhere that the mark II version of the EM6900 will be released on 1 October 2006. Any truth in this?

Re: EM6900 Reliability

Its a $500 machine that out performs machines costing nearly twice the price. No wonder there are issues. Blame cost engineering, otherwise how on earth did they get the cost so low. After playing with a working one on the weekend, Im very impressed with the package and its abilities. If they can get the bugs ironed out it will be an absolute category killer. The EM6910 sounds even better with user controllable brew and steam temperatures.

I brewed a nice looking shot from this machine on the weekend. If they get it sorted out, itll be awesome given its price and ability.

Corey, who tipped the release date, seems to have inside knowledge. However, the oroginal release date was delayed by about 6 months. So dont hold your breath.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

While Im due to get my 3 replacement machine from Sunbeam on Friday, a Mate of mine who bought his at the same time (and place) has never had a problem - and this was since March this year... and I know he makes at least 2 cups a day minimum... having said that, he has been using the EM0480 grinder and I have been using the Delonghi KE100 (I know, its not a capable grinder for the EM6900 however Im restricted financially atm) - This is the only variable between us.

As Sparky said, once the bugs are ironed out, it will be without a doubt a killer machine - Bugs aside on the current one, it is an awesome machine. I do miss my coffee though... its been 2 1/2 weeks :-(

Marc

Comment

Thought Id post an update. Just received my replacement EM6900 and Id like to note the differences Ive found. Good things...

1. Much higher Steam presser/\/Temp and dryer steam - less water.
        2. Longer and more agile Steam arm
        3. Smaller Single and Double Baskets
        4. Blue (It appears to "Glow Blue when the machine is warmed) Group seal.
        5. The Portafiller is slightly different to the point on the top rim it is a flatter surface, and fits the Baskets better.

It appears I have the new Updated EM6900 (Not the talked about EM6910)... and Im impressed - Finally. I just hope the screws/\/bolts holding the group head and thermoblock are upgraded also so it doesnt break like my previous 2 machines.

Now, to get my hands on a decent grinder....

Hopefully this is the begining of many good reports on this machine.

Comment

marcstolk...did you get this back directly from Sunbeam?

I sent mine back to them by courier and they told me to just send the machine (so I kept all the other bits, grip, baskets etc)...I wonder if I will get my machine back or an updated one.

Id be happy to get some smaller (right sized) baskets...but Id also be happy just to have a working machine.

A questionfor you
          ...How log does it take to texture milk? (say 300ml to 65 degrees) on your new machine?

Comment

Originally posted by lattelover link=1154489886/0#4 date=1155001317
            marcstolk...did you get this back directly from Sunbeam?
            Yes, I did. Took 2 weeks all up - But I kept ringing them finding out when it will be repaired/\/replaced.

I sent mine back to them by courier and they told me to just send the machine (so I kept all the other bits, grip, baskets etc)...I wonder if I will get my machine back or an updated one.
            What happened to your machine? - If what happened to mine happened to yours, Im sure youll get another new one.. and youll probably get the updated one like I did. One thing is for sure, youll have extra accesories.. Portafiller, baskets, Milk Jug etc... I have 3 Porta Filers now

What happened to mine was the Group head came apart from the Thermoblock - Not good!

Id be happy to get some smaller (right sized) baskets...but Id also be happy just to have a working machine.

A questionfor you
            ...How log does it take to texture milk? (say 300ml to 65 degrees) on your new machine?
            Hard to say, as I only do enough milk for 1 Latte - Say 200 ml to 65 Deg, Id say no more than 30 seconds... Definately under 60 secs thats for sure. Much quicker than the earlier 2 machines - and the steam arm is longer :-)
            I must time it to get actuate time though...

Comment

Mate - how long is the arm. I would like to measure mine and see if I have the update or the older one. I purchased mine about 3 months ago I guess (red and silver) and it hasnt hinted at trouble and the pressure guage reads accurately re the coffee extraction.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1154489886/0#6 date=1155084404
                Mate - how long is the arm. I would like to measure mine and see if I have the update or the older one. I purchased mine about 3 months ago I guess (red and silver) and it hasnt hinted at trouble and the pressure guage reads accurately re the coffee extraction.

Cheers
                Well, Ill have to measure it when I get home after work... but the indicator was the smaller Baskets...

Ill take a pic and post up... of the front and a pic of the smaller baskets...

How well does your steam work??

Comment

thanks mate. Seems to work well. I half the big jug (that came with it) working well and whirlpooling. The whilpool is easier to see if you use water. When I use milk you can see it swirling from time to time if you clear off some of the top froth, but otherwise the top froth obscures it if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Comment

Yep, understand..... Sounds like you have a new version... but well see when we measure the steam arm.....

Comment

Originally posted by Semaj link=1154489886/0#0 date=1154489886
                      Reading this and other web sites all you seem to see are people complaining about their...
                      Always try to remember that the majority of people only speak up when something is wrong.

If Ive got a machine that I think is making fantastic coffee and couldnt be better, Im less likely to be posting about how wonderful it is, vs how bad it might be.

Its excruciatingly difficult to determine how good/bad a product is based on forum content/posts. Any forum, not just this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce_ link=1154489886/0#10 date=1155096011

Always try to remember that the majority of people only speak up when something is wrong.

If Ive got a machine that I think is making fantastic coffee and couldnt be better, Im less likely to be posting about how wonderful it is, vs how bad it might be.

Its excruciatingly difficult to determine how good/bad a product is based on forum content/posts. Any forum, not just this one.
                        Whilst I agree with this as a general principle, when you have more than 1/\/2/\/3 persons having similar issues with a particular machine, its good to let it be known publicly, for any other reason than to force the Manufacture to make changes to the product which in this case appears to have happened.

When someone asks about a particular machine/\/model in reference to a possible purchase, youll find in most cases a balanced view from various angles will be evident etc. I do have to say, in regards to the EM6900 that Sunbeam are taking the product very seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1154489886/0#6 date=1155084404

Cheers
                          As promised... Pic of the front view of my machine... see below for basket sizes
                          . I measured the steam arm - Its 16.5 cm // 162mm from tip to bolt (stone throw measure)

Comment

Basket sizes

Comment

Basket sizes

Comment

Working...
                              X