Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Hi all,
    I am new to coffeesnobs and after reading some of the topics here its time to take the plunge into the big wide world of espress.This is where you guys come in. I am thinking about buying a rancillo silvia and rocky combo as it seems to be what everyone here likes, but i am unsure wether it is really what will best suit my needs. What i am after is a semi auto machine that is easy to use and produces consistent coffe (sick of drinking the rubbish that most coffee shops up here try and pass off as coffee). After reading the reviews here it seems that the silvia may be a bit fiddly to achieve consistent coffee, is this the case? The other option i have been thinking about is the Imat mokita, what do you guys think would suit my needs better. I have a budget of around $1200 might be able to stretch a little further if needed. My fav style of coffee is a Latte with a double shot of espresso and i am the only coffee drinker in the house but i usually drink approx 3-4 cups at home per day and another 2-3 at work. Can you also please point me in the direction of a reputable dealer in brisbane
    thankyou all

Re: Need some advice

silvia lovely ecm botticelli has similar features but slightly larger boiler, more stable temp (no need to surf) and temp gauge
    i love mine- talkcoffee may do deals also barazi- there may be an ex demo one still on the for sale section from barazi for 750- usually approx 1000
    all the best

brett

Comment

thanks brett,
      ive ordered a silvia rocky combo from chris 2mcm now cant wait till it arrives

mattm

Comment

Originally posted by mattm link=1154940650/0#2 date=1156071925
        thanks brett,
        ive ordered a silvia rocky combo from chris 2mcm now cant wait till it arrives

mattm
        mmm... nectar of the gods- youll do fine!

brett

Comment

only ordered on thursday but already wishing it was here!!! dont think i can wait much longer.

mattm

Comment

Be patient Matt- should be with you tomorrow!

regards

Chris

Comment

I was the same waiting for my machines.

Hang in there just a little longer.

Comment

thanks chris for all your help really looking forward to tomorrow

mattm

Comment

.....So what happened, Mattm?

--Robusto

Comment

robusto,

having a ball experimenting with new silvia and rocky, nearly had it a week now and its the best thing i have ever bought(and ive bought some pretty good gear in the past)

still experimenting with coffee,grind etc but making pretty good coffee so far

not good enough to drink as a short black varies between bitter and sour and trying the temp surf thing but havnt found much difference doing this, probably due to inconsistent dosing tamping.

however add some milk and presto best coffee had in a long time(i may be alittle biased) except for the shots i had at merlo last friday

thanks for your interest and ill keep you all updated

mattm

Comment

Youre on the way --- the journey of a million miles begins with a few beans.

Try to change one variable at a time. Get that right, then move on to something else which may still need improvement.

You want about 17 to 20 grams for a nice 60 ml espresso.
                      An electronic scale will assist you dosing the correct amount.

Then, get a bathroom scale, put your loaded portafilter on to that, and tamp down to the 2 stone mark.

Youll now have the correct dose and correct tamp.

See how long it takes for a 25" extraction.

Too long? Grind coarser.

Gushes out? A finer grind is in order.

Having got those two variables right, temperature is next.

I use a PID, but if you brew around 50 seconds from when the Silvia brew light comes on, youre in the ball park. I think 40 seconds is too cold.

All this should conspire towards a very acceptable espresso---providing, of course, you start with the right raw material: fresh beans roasted right.

---Robusto

Comment

robusto,
                        i think i may have stumbled across part of my problem......the cheap plastic tampa that comes with the silvia.

after a close inspection of the puck after a shot tonight ive discovered what looks like to me is the problem!!! It looks like the outside 3mm or so of the puck is where most of my brew water is going through as it is a completely different colour to the rest of the puck.

i have been using the standard tampa on the bathroom scales and tamping to about 15 kilos

do you think this could be why my shots are bitter?

im going to make a new tampa tomorrow at work(one of the benefits of being a fitter and turner) that fits the baskets a bit better and try it tomorrow night

ive run out of coffee beans so am planning a trip back to merlo in the morning to by some more(made the mistake of only buying 2* 500 g bags last week and they have already gone(probably why i cant sleep at night)

Im also expecting a delivery from coffe parts tomorrow with the larger pf basket and from what ive read this will probably help as well

mattm

Comment

Absolutely Matt- the plakky tampers are a complete waste o time....Id bet that with a poor tamper and the smaller basket, you are getting chanelling....This should disappear with the new tamper and larger baskets.

NB- youll probably need to back your rocky off a notch or two to get that perfect pour....let your palate be the guide!

2mcm

Comment

thanks chris,

i ordered that gear from coffe-parts yesterday and they said it should arrive tomorrow, first job will be to give it a good clean then ill try the new basket and tamper and coffee.

really love the silvia and thanks for all your help over the past few weeks its been very much appreciated

ill keep you posted how things are going

ps got in trouble from the misses this morning for making a coffee at 4am, but made up for it by making her a hot chocky tonight(gotta love that khali hot chocolate from coffee hit

mattm

Comment

could somone please tell me how i know if im getting channelling. Will i be able to see small tracks/grooves/holes etc or will the puck have different colours through it?

My new goodies arrived from coffeeparts today so i removed the showerscreen and soaked it and the pf and baskets in the espresso cleaner, then reassembled and backflushed using the newly aquired blind filter......yuck how does a machine get so dirty inside after just one week?

Then the biggest surprise!!!! using the larger porter filter basket p/n mar1-521994 from coffee parts made a coffee, took 47 secs from turn on to 60ml, set grinder 1 notch coarser 35 secs from start to 60ml, one notch coarser again 28 secs from start to 60mls in 2 shot glasses(30 in each)

biggest surprise was that during the pour only had about 3mm dark liquid in bottom and a nice treacle coloured crema making up the rest of the 30 ml, and after approx 1 min still had 6-7 mm of crema on top so i took the taste test straight from the shot glass.....

mmmmm first shot ive made on silvia that ive been able to drink fully as an espresso, still a bit bitter/sour not sure which, hard to tell but definately drinkable

pour starts off really dark almost like the colour of dark chocolate then slows down to an almost drip after about 5-6 secs stays dripping for another3-5 secs then steadied out to a slow pour of a trecle type colour for the remainder. No sign of blonding switched off after 30 secs and had about 28ml in one glass and 32-33 in the other.

drank one shot straight, turned the other into a latte while frothing milk for the baby chinos and hot choccies and this latte was excellent, best yet even milk is getting pretty good can support a teaspoon verticle in a baby chino

mattm

ps chris ive got to work all weekend so ill call you on monday and talk

Comment

Working...
                              X