New handles for pullman tampers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New handles for pullman tampers...

i just received my new redgum greg pullman tamper- what a change its made after the $25 convex based one!

id had trouble tamping into the outer edge of the basket- now with the new custom fit one its a simple level, tap of cleat and then tamp and twist

i found that there is more crema, and the flavour of espresso from the 14 g ridgeless basket is almost the same as that of the 18 g basket used with the old tamper

you could say im seriously impressed! custom quality at factory prices

brett

Re: new pullman tamper

Yes,

Greg does a world quality tamper....

Comment

Weve just got our own Pullman tamper in Houn pine. What a machine, saw the rave on CS and thought Id give it a go.

It fits the 49 mm basket of the PRESSO just fine! Its only a whisker too small for the Atomic, Ill have to get a separate one for that machine....oh well. Such is life!

Comment

I received my redgum Pullman tamper today. I have used a frieds one before so I knew what to expect but geez this is such a great piece of equipment. Who would have thought a tamper could make such a difference to the quality of the shot, but it does! Greg is a great guy to deal with too. I may grab one for a mate as part of his wedding gift too and get a message engraved into the side of it. Just top quality stuff!

Comment

Good to know, spare baskets for the Veneziano should be delivered by Friday and will be in the post to Greg by Monday. I have NEVER heard so much positive feedback about a product or business in my life. I cant wait to experience it for myself.

Bart.

Comment

hi bart- i took the new tamper to a friend who is a professional roaster- he was impressed

he said a test of a good tamper is to give it a spin in a filled basket- this one really spun

one of my sons said it was like it was spinning on a bed of air (have you played air hockey?- like that)

works very well and looks great

brett

Comment

Originally posted by Bart link=1155203314/0#4 date=1155377030
              Good to know, spare baskets for the Veneziano should be delivered by Friday and will be in the post to Greg by Monday. I have NEVER heard so much positive feedback about a product or business in my life. I cant wait to experience it for myself.

Bart.
              Bart,
              I had several emails from Greg. Informing me of the staus of my order and giving patient advice on my requirements. A lesser man would have bitten my neophitic backside.
              He shipped fast, he did what he said he would and the tamper rocks!!!!!

Comment

Neophitic, great word! I only hope that I can work it into a conversation one day. After consultation with the trusty Oxford pocket, I have discovered that, I too, am something of a neophyte. But Im learning quickly, and not just about coffee either, this site is most edifying (another word I love) on many subjects. Im sure Greg will get a few inane questions from me too, but hey, thats how we learn. 8-)

Bart.

Comment

Id previously played around the pullman and reg barber with 3 different bases (flat, US convex, and Euro convex) and found the US convex reg barber gave me the best results. I thought it may have something to do with the shape of the shower screen matching the convex angle of the tamper.
                  I pulled out the pullman tamper over the weekend to give it another try. I was surprised by the quality of shots such that it has now become my tamper of choice. Almost every shot since Saturday morning has been drinkable; some the best I have made - gooey, thick, and dark.

The craftmanship of the pullman is fantastic and it feels great in the hand.

Comment

you dont stuff around do you MattG... a Pullman and a Reg Barber..!
                    (is there a jealous smiley..???)

Comment

Im hoping to order a Pullman tamper soon ... a few questions, though, to the people who already have one:

Is it really important to post the baskets to Greg for him to match the size?

Also, what happens if you end up getting some different baskets for your machine? E.g. I noticed on another thread that some people recommend getting an 18g basket (Marzocco part no. 700757) for the Silvia ... would this mean I would need a different size tamper? Is there one size of tamper that would fit the standard silvia single and double baskets, and a bigger, 18g basket?

Hmm ... its all a bit confusing. Any pointers, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Francis link=1155203314/0#10 date=1155817384
                        Im hoping to order a Pullman tamper soon ... a few questions, though, to the people who already have one:

Also, what happens if you end up getting some different baskets for your machine? E.g. I noticed on another thread that some people recommend getting an 18g basket (Marzocco part no. 700757) for the Silvia ... would this mean I would need a different size tamper? Is there one size of tamper that would fit the standard silvia single and double baskets, and a bigger, 18g basket?

Ed, you will need to ask Greg to make a tamper for either your smallest basket or your favourite one- and use an alternative for anything smaller. Please not that the LM triple is too deep for a standard rancilio group handle...It will only be suitable in a naked portafilter or a LM group handle...

2mcm

Comment

Ive just ordered one from Greg and as I live in Adelaide will pick it up from him personally tomorrow (or should I say later on today) - now that Im finally getting good coffee from the Rocky+Bott Im interested in coffee again.

Comment

You wont regret it David- hes one of the very decent boutique crowd making beautiful things on a shoestring budget
                            all the best
                            Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Francis link=1155203314/0#10 date=1155817384

As has been mentioned by 2muchcoffeeman, the LM basket with part number 700757 will not fit the Silvia group handle. I just ordered the LM basket with part number 300013. It will fit the handle and even though it says 14g it will fit much more than the Silvia 14g basket. Ive never actually weighed the coffee I can fit into mine, but I have heard other people say they can get around 18-19g into it.

And regarding the pullman with different baskets, I have used a pullman on both the standard Silvia basket and the LM and it fits both perfectly. Id say they are extremely similar in size.

Comment

Working...
                              X