Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Coffee Equipment do you all have - Part 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Coffee Equipment do you all have - Part 2?

Hi all,
    I have a long and torturous journey to where I am now... I started with plungers at 13, degraded to International roast at 16 (got a job) moved on to stove tops 3 years later and just recently found Coffee Snobs....
    Hallelujah.
    I got myself a cheap Cafe Roma and was making "great" coffee, then saw a cheap Brasilia Lady on ebay so I snapped that up. The coffee I was making on the Cafe Roma was watery, sour and altogether terrible compared to my new girl. I pulled my first shot last night and couldnt believe it, syrup was coming out. SYRUP! dark brown and DELICIOUS...I couldnt wipe the smile from my face all night. All day today I was just itching to get home and make another one or more.

Anyway, to answer the question:

Brasilia Lady
    Anfim Milano
    Cheap Tiffiny Popper (with vents in the bottom. tsk, tsk)

Rob.

Re: What Coffee Equipment do you all have?

Originally posted by Princess Latte link=1078801550/180#180 date=1155706443
    I am researching the Kitchenaid Artisan Espresso machine. Can anyone tell me what they are like? Will I get value for the (huge) outlay? :-/ :question
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs!

Ive heard some bad things about these machines.... especially in the area of texturing milk taking forever.....

Im (well my wife actually) a lover of Kitchenaid appliances- having several, but I dont think I would touch this one! There was also a big recall of Kitchenaid coffee machines in the US recently because of a fire risk....

You might find the reviews here useful (and some are pretty damming!)

http://www.wholelattelove.com/reviews.cfm?ItemID=678

By the way, the firm hosting the reviews also sells the machines!

I honestly believe you could get much better value for your dollar (and better support also) by going to one of the site sponsors and checking what they have....

Good luck!

Comment

Let see...

Gaggia Carezza
      Nemox Lux
      2x conical burr hand mills
      bodum Santos
      Hario 3-cups Deco
      Presso
      2x bodum fresh press
      2x moka pots
      2 cups briki/ibrik/cezves (however your wanted call it)
      1 cup drip filter
      Pullman tamper
      Reg Barber tamper
      16 different looking espresso cups
      hotpan for roasting and stirfry

Comment

B & D Popper

SS tamper (this and the SS jugs and other gear came as a gift from in-laws when coffee making got just too much effort - apparently!)

Cadbury Triple Choc Ice cream knockbox

Faema "Family" espresso (second-hand from in-laws)

And a great deal of lust for items mentioned in earlier posts.

Comment

Iberital LAnna 1 Group Automatic Hand Fill, Iberital Double and Single Spout p/fs
          Naked p/f & Assorted Baskets; Double & Triple Ridgeless, 2 LM Doubles, Iberital Double, Iberital Single
          Rancilio Audrey with PID Controller, Rancilio Double Spout p/f, Rancilio Double & Single Baskets
          Spidem Trevi Automatica Superautomatic

Macap M4 Doser Stepped
          Iberital MC2 Timed Doserless
          Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)

Gene Cafe
          IMEX CR-100
          20kg+ of COE Greens

Grindenstein Knock-Box
          The Original Coffees Been Knock-Box
          Thor Tamper
          2 Reg Barber Tampers
          2 Generic Tampers
          2 Tamping Mats & Bespoke Tamping Stand
          0.6 Litre Moda Frothing Jug
          1 Litre Frothing Jug

Aerobie  Aeropress
          Bodum Milk Frothing Jug
          Large and Small French Presses
          Morphy Richards Drip Filter
          Bodum Single Cup Drip Filters
          2 Percolators
          DeLonghi BAR14
          Morphy Richards Steam Toy

2 p/f Attached Manometers
          Fluke Temperature Meter
          Barista & Cleaning Brushes, Milk Thermometer, Blank Filters, Cleaning Stuff & Other Bits

Brita Water Filter Jug
          2oz, 9oz & 11oz Pavinas
          Other Assorted Cups & Glasses

Melitta/Moda Roaster (now gone to a new home)
          Scace Device (soon)

Edit: Typo error

Comment

Hmmm, Cakeboy, so you like the occasional coffee? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1078801550/180#187 date=1156552357
              Hmmm, Cakeboy, so you like the occasional coffee? :P

And the occasional cake too, Id hazard to guess!

Comment

Nah, Im a tea drinker on a diet

Cool scooter

Comment

Re: What Coffee Equipment do you all have - Part 2

Evolved from choking down some brown stuff called Nescafe for many years to vittoria pre ground put through a Krups manual machine to a recently acquired Gaggia Cubika (very underwhelmed with this one) that my other half scored for 2 hunded bux

Also upgraded from a Sunbeam spice grinder to an Iberital manual grinder (heaven). This has pushed the Gaggia to its limits....

Onward and upward!

cheers

Jeff

Comment

Greetings from timberline (aka +9,500 ft elevation)!

Im trying not to chew my fingernails down, waiting for delivery of my first espresso machine! Its a used Bezzera BZ40 (Who knows what trials await this blonde caffiene fiend? Will this be the embarcation of a complete rebuild, or a starstruck affair that rises flawlessly to our heroines exacting demands? Only time will tell. . .) I bought for pennies on the dollar.

I took the plunge and was scope-locked (finger out of the trigger-guard, but the safetys off) on a used BZ40 for a while, as it is manageable on my fixed income, and should work like a champ here near the end of the unpaved road, within rock-throwing distance of timberline on superb, deep well water.

So, hello!

Comment

Hello lethalblonde from a huge elevation of 193m AMSL!!

Enjoy the coffee experience and we look forward to more of your contributions here.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalblonde link=1155724732/0#9 date=1158871458
                        Greetings from timberline (aka +9,500 ft elevation)!
                        Hhhhmmm.....What a wonderful place to be!! One of my favorite parts of the country! Im envious!!

Im trying not to chew my fingernails down, waiting for delivery of my first espresso machine! Its a used Bezzera BZ40 (Who knows what trials await this blonde caffiene fiend? Will this be the embarcation of a complete rebuild, or a starstruck affair that rises flawlessly to our heroines exacting demands? Only time will tell. . .) I bought for pennies on the dollar.

I took the plunge and was scope-locked (finger out of the trigger-guard, but the safetys off) on a used BZ40 for a while, as it is manageable on my fixed income, and should work like a champ here near the end of the unpaved road, within rock-throwing distance of timberline on superb, deep well water.

So, hello!
                        Welcome to the wonderful world of home roasted coffee and quality espresso! Hopefully your new toy will arrive in good condition and only need a good cleaning and minor rebuild before its pumping out that golden nectar.

From all reports the BZ40 is a great machine to have in the home and should last you a lifetime properly maintained. Parts are readily available and theyre easy machines to work on from all Ive heard (theres a thread in here about another user whos rebuilt his BZ and Mal is currently going over his newly acquired BZ). I waited for years before I was able to finaly lay my hands on an M28 Cimbali which I then totally stripped down and completely rebuilt.

The time and cost of doing a complete rebuild was well worth it gives you a great starting point for developing your extraction process with no worries that its the machine thats at fault.

I can think of few better settings to enjoy a cuppa than sitting high up in the Rockies overlooking an alpine valley. Im jealous!!

Java "Loves the Rockies!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

:

Last year it was traumatic to spend over a hundred dollars for a Capresso MT500 (factory refurb) - but the improvement to a cup of coffee was more than I could have guessed (okay, Im a half-step away from being a shut-in these days, but still. . .)!

Roasting started as a way to make fixed funds more bearable (and I do love both the process as well as the delightful result), and now its espresso!  

Im reminded of the caution attributed to the Port Townsend wag who said, "Good wine makes being almost poor much more bearable.  The problem occurs when good wine becomes the reason youre staying almost poor."

When I read about and see the pictures of the astonishing investments some have enshrined (most tastefully, I must add) in their homes, I can only compare it to the dazzling collections other afficinados of fine, functional machinery of other sorts proudly display and skillfully use.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Comment

This is my first post on this site and I thought a good starting page.
                            It all started with my first real coffee in Copenahgen DK (1994) and since I have not touched instant coffee.
                            I started witht the stove top "Miss lavazza". Also used Perculator and found that if you used tin carnation milk you can get some ok results.
                            Then I moved up to the Breville cafe aroma (i think). This machine lasted for about five years. Recently it decided to stop steaming so I decided it was time to take the next step.
                            After much research (alot from this forum) I purchased a ECM GIOTTO and what a machine. After a few minor problems it is working a treat.
                            Thanks also to this forum I found my Sunbeam em0480 to be faulty and got it replaced today(to get good poor the grind was set on 1) now for a double poor it is set on 12. oh and I also found the milk cartoon mod to work a treat.
                            Thanks for the tips and advice.
                            I love coffee.
                            Dave

Comment

Yes!

The Elektra arrived, and needed just a descaling and some food-grade lubricant (and three thorough rinses) - its perfect for my needs.

The Innova is a breeze, and the right choice for a dedicated espresso grinder for light home use.

Now to focus a little more on making specific espresso roasts; meanwhile, Im delighted with this as a starting point (no, no quarter-inch of crema up here above 9,200ft as yet)!

Comment

Working...
                              X