Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct definition of espresso and sunbeam em6900

Hi All,

I have a new sunbeam em6900 that I will start using in a couple of weeks and have been doing some appropriate reading to become familiar with its quirks before trying it out.

The question is - what am I aiming for in terms of "good" espresso? How many mls of pour of what time period? How does this different with the different sized baskets (if thats the right word?!)

Also, due to the different basket sizes, that I believe are much bigger than a normal "domestic" machine, do I need a larger grind if I fill them up? Should I use a finer grind and half fill them up?

In addition, there has been some talk of the espresso gauge on the machine being a little conservative - that the best results come from the black section - can anyone substantiate this?

My grinder is now, after returning one of them orrible little Breville Cafe Romas, an EM0480 and its one hell of a machine !!

Many thanks,

DrT

Re: correct definition of espresso and sunbeam em6

Hi,

Regarding the baskets, youll need to grind a little courser, fill the basket - very light tamp and fill again and tamp with body weight pressure (learning onto it as your twist the tamper). This is how I do it. If your pour is too fast, adjust the grind finer until you get the desired pour. It will take a few gos but once you find the sweet spot, youll be right.

General rule of thumb is to get the pour dropping vertically from the spouts and having a nice resisting dripping honey effect after the initial extraction starts - Liquid Gold :-) (assuming your using fresh beans of course)

Ill try get some pics tonight and post up.

The espresso gauge - dont concern yourself with it, its just not calibrated correctly. Its really just a guide. I usually pay no attention to it. My interest is in how the pour is. In fact mine is faulty, but couldnt be bothered sending the machine back to Sunbeam for the 4th time. Im just happy its still working (and working very well I might add) 3 weeks straight :-)

Agreed, the EM0480 is a awesome grinder. AndyCJ (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1138058473) did the lose grind solution and I did the same - very good idea and works exceptionally well.

Enjoy,

Marc

PS... Check if you have the blue group head seal... if not, call Sunbeam and have them send you out one. - Just in case :-)

Comment

Thanks for that marcstolk.

From http://www.coffeeco.com.au/altcof/altcoffeepage4.html I gather a correct espresso pour is 30ml in 25 seconds from a 7g serve to the portafilter.

All things equal, does this mean 60ml pour in 50 seconds from a 14g serve?

Yes, as it would seem for the sunbeam, if you go beyond the 7g for a single shot and likewise for the double shot the grind will need to be coarser to get the same flow rate - but should you still aim for 30/60ml or is this unrealistic? As in, even if you get the same volume over the same time from more coffee grind in the portafilter, will you need to let it go longer to account for the same quality of taste purely and simply considering the difference in extraction from a coarser grind?

DrT

Comment

Sounds about right. Remember these are just a guideline. Theres always allowances like bigger baskets etc.

From the Sunbeam single basket, Im getting 35-40 second pour for approx 35-40mil... this is just a guess - I should actually measure it... but yes, the single does have a longer pour time and volume.

Comment

What-ever the size of the basket is, when properly filled (so the showerscreen screw leaves a light impression on the dry puck), with the proper grind, and the proper tamp, the shot should start to blond at 25 seconds.

In a 7g basket this should yield 30ml, and in a 14g basket 60ml.

These are starting points/averages and the exact time and yield will vary from one machine/coffee to the next and of course where you end up at should be determined by your tastes.

Java "Its all about the taste!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1157598377/0#4 date=1157617533
            What-ever the size of the basket is, when properly filled (so the showerscreen screw leaves a light impression on the dry puck), with the proper grind, and the proper tamp, the shot should start to blond at 25 seconds.

In a 7g basket this should yield 30ml, and in a 14g basket 60ml.

These are starting points/averages and the exact time and yield will vary from one machine/coffee to the next and of course where you end up at should be determined by your tastes.

Java "Its all about the taste!" phile
            I agree its all about taste so feel free to experiment a little (!) either side of the 25 sec/ 30ml rule. Some of us like ristrettos (smaller quantity but there are different ways to achieve this) but few like larger quantity extractions (I cant remember the Italian phrase for this but it translates as water you have washed your socks in!). Play around with it just a little because you may find what seems good now can become amazing with little changes!
            Brett

Comment

Yep, what Java and Brett said. Its all part of the experimenting :-).. good fun.

Comment

Hi again Marc - mine is still going strong (with black seal, but long wand!) after 3-4 months with regular use. Is that fair dink about the seal, even though mines ok. Should I e-mail that bloke from Sunbeam? Would you have his e-mail address by chance?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1157598377/0#7 date=1157667211
                  Hi again Marc - mine is still going strong (with black seal, but long wand!) after 3-4 months with regular use. Is that fair dink about the seal, even though mines ok. Should I e-mail that bloke from Sunbeam? Would you have his e-mail address by chance?

Cheers
                  I wouldnt bother emailing Damien Court, I think Sunbeam heavies have muted him even though his intentions was excellent. 3 emails have gone unanswered and numerous phone calls. I just gave up.

FYI..

dcourt@sunbeam.com.au

Sunbeam changed the seal material to virtually indestructible substance. These were Damiens (dopio on CG) words anyway.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/australasia/231555?LastView=1157672143&Page=4

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1157598377/0#8 date=1157672607

I wouldnt bother emailing Damien Court, I think Sunbeam heavies have muted him even though his intentions was excellent. 3 emails have gone unanswered and numerous phone calls. I just gave up.
                    Sunbeam heavies huh? That conjures images of men in suits and dark glasses packing fully automatic toasters... scarey.

Well at least Damian sent me one of the EM6900 thermoblocks before he went off line. Its slowly making its way torards becoming operational. Im pretty keen to get it running in my new Bezzera Hydra machine...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1157598377/0#9 date=1157686080
                      Originally posted by marcstolk link=1157598377/0#8 date=1157672607

Sunbeam heavies huh? That conjures images of men in suits and dark glasses packing fully automatic toasters... scarey.

Well at least Damian sent me one of the EM6900 thermoblocks before he went off line. Its slowly making its way torards becoming operational. Im pretty keen to get it running in my new Bezzera Hydra machine...
                      At least he tried to help. Probably doesnt even work there anymore... who knows...

Comment

Are you suggesting that he might be ..... toast!?

Comment

maybe he shifted divisions and got fried?

Comment

thanks mate. I will try him, but at least mine is kicking along really well.

Comment

He might have been....relocated (to Sunbeam China)

Comment

Working...
                              X