Silvias steam valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvias steam valve

Havent posted for a while, but still enjoying reading the banter that you put up!

Has anyone had issues/concerns re the steam valve on Silvia?  ie whenever I steam and shut off the valve, invariably it would require a re-tighten later after she has cooled off.  Is this normal?

Also, should the steam valve be easy to turn ie like the top of a jar, or should it be a little scratchy like a worn tap?  (My silvia is about 12 months old)

Re: Silvias steam valve

I have a similar issue with my Silvia.
    About 2 months ago whilst replacing the steam wand (cos I scratched the original) I had the lid off. I noticed a little piece on the inside of the steam valve assembly that looked to have slipped a little. I slid it back into place. Seemed to help at the time.

It still does not always close 100% (I often have to give it an extra tweak) , but it seems better than it was.

With regard to its turning, I never have to use much force to turn it on or off, but it does sound somewhat squeaky. Mine is about 2 years old.

Comment

Yep, mine drips a bit. This is reputed to be a common problem and, AFAIK is because the compression valve can be over-tightened, which eventually destroys the valve seat. There are some good photos here.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Hey Luca and fellow Coffeesnobs

The solution to your leaky Silvia problem lies in this alt.coffee post:
        http://groups.google.com/group/alt.coffee/browse_thread/thread/d46498aecfec0939/697dc0340993a0e5?lnk=st&q=Silvia+Steam+Wand+Rebuil d&rnum=1#697dc0340993a0e5

Apparently, one shouldnt overtighten and rebuilding the steam wand is part of the ongoing maintenance of a Silvia. Rancilio seems to rely on compression valves which tend to leak, rather than non-compression type as found on Quickmill Andrejas etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ken

Comment

Working...
        X