Wedding Present suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Present suggestion

Hi, Im new to this forum and am hoping someone can help me. My sister in-law is getting married and moving to Denmark where the cafe coffee options are very limited. I would like to give her a home coffee machine for a wedding present. What are the best options in the $400-$700 price bracket?

Re: Wedding Present suggestion

I would hate to put a dampener on things but it might be prudent to give her the money for the coffee machine & let her buy one that has local service over there.

That said, if the options over there are limited then undoubtedly the best way to go would be to recommend the simplest technology..which means simple, tried & proven such as good ole boiler technology...
    eg, Silvia (as being the "best" simple machine even if you have to spend a little more than $700.00). Othwers are cheaper, but dont compare for whatever reasons.

Mind you, Denmark is EEC or EU right? So volatage should be fine (230Volt european standard), and really, coffee machine availability service should be good?

My 3 dollar notes worth!

Regardz,
    FC.

Comment

Hi Mish and welcome to CS...

Id suggest a small extra spend over budget and a Rancilio Silvia- both Attilio (Fresh_Coffee) of Cosmorex and I can assist you with this item...If the budget wont go that far, perhaps a Gaggia Classic. I suspect Attilio may be able to add some more suggestions...

I suggest that your friend buy a grinder also ASAP...

regards

Chris

Comment

following Chris lead...

I think a grinder in that price range would be a cooler present. They may not think so at first (the machines are the sexy item), but if they ever "learn" about coffee, theyll thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mish link=1158273065/0#0 date=1158273065
          My sister in-law is getting married and moving to Denmark where the cafe coffee options are very limited.
          Uhhh ... you do realise that half of the world barista champions come from Copenhagen, right? Plenty of decent roasters, plenty of opportunity to buy a machine! Check out Teemu from Copenhagens Blog.

If you have to get an espressosomethingorother, maybe a mazzer mini grinder is the way to go? Expensive, for sure, but phenomenal reliability and they are so common all around the world that it will be easy to get replacement burrs, etc. Then your sis-in-law can go and pick up a machine that is well supported locally. If you tell us which city youre in, we can refer you to the nearest site sponsor, although Im sure that all of them will do mail-order.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Check out Temes blog, it will give you a general idea of the coffee scene in Denmark through the eyes of a homeboy coffee nut. Also has links of retailers in Denmark.
            http://temesblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/upping-ante_11.html
            http://temesblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/2nd-copenhagen-home-barista-jam_03.html

Originally posted by Mish link=1158273065/0#0 date=1158273065
            My sister in-law is getting married and moving to Denmark where the cafe coffee options are very limited.
            The Scandinavians are big coffee consumers, seem to produce awesome baristas and have a thriving espresso scene too, Is she moving to a rural area?

I like the suggestion of getting them a good grinder and sending them on their coffee journey. A coffee tasting ,training, appreciation course in Denmark would be great too. No point having access to good coffee unless your tongue knows what to appreciate.

Are they using a shipping container or have alot of extra space, get the product from the country shell be living in.

Comment

it could be Denmark Western Australia

http://www.denmark.wa.gov.au/

there aint much down there, maybe a service station. although there are a few wineries etc.

Comment

Working...
              X