Leave on all day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave on all day?

I am a novice but interested CS. I have inherited Lucy (basically Silvia with a built in grinder) - she s doing a fine job when shes finally warmed up but someone suggested I couldnt leave her on all day - Can anyone verify this??

Re: Leave on all day?

Correct- not a good thing to do as the boiler doesnt have an autofill function...They can run dry and see ya later element...Often this requires boiler replacement at close enough to $300...

Make sure that you always prime the boiler with water after you texture milk also....

2mcm

Comment

by "prime the boiler" does that mean run water through the pf???

Comment

Yes- you can do that or use the hot water function and run it through the wand....

enjoy!

2mcm

Comment

Do what I do with my silvia; put it on a timer. Just make sure that none of the three buttons on the left are flicked on when the machine goes to sleep, or youre in for a nasty surprise! 2mcms warning is all the more real when you take into account that the steam valves on the silvia and its ilk arent exactly cutting edge and will probably start dripping after they have gone through too much compression and been heated too much.

That said, I often have mine running for hours at a time, but I ALWAYS refil the boiler after use, exactly as 2mcm describes. Dont be a doofus when you do it, either. Thats hot water coming out. Either purge into a cloth, keeping fingers well out of harms way and protected by the cloth (you can then use the damp cloth to wipe down the burnt on milk on the outside of the steam wand) or purge into a jug. Either method will expel any milk in your steam wand, getting rid of any chance that it might be sucked into the boiler and, so, is an essential step after steaming.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

When I prime after steaming I dont have the wand open, I just fill the tank until the noise changes to tell me its full. Dont tell Mocopan, but could that be the cause of my failing Silvia in this thread?

Comment

Working...
            X