No announcement yet.

Anyone own or used a Ascaso Steel Duo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own or used a Ascaso Steel Duo?

Hi there,

I am just curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with the ascaso steel duo at all? I have added it to my list of possibilities so am curious as to pros and cons of them. For both espresso and milk drinks as well. So any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Re: Anyone own or used a Ascaso Steel Duo?

Brett,

Proud, excited and very happy owners of a brand new Ascaso steel Duo and Doserless Rocky purchased from Di Bartoli 2 weeks ago. Ofra and Renzo are exceedingly patient!!

At long last a decision was made that all in the house are happy with.

Our dilemma was we could not afford an HX machine, and did not wish to purchase Sunbeam with still dubious quality control, and that as we mainly drink milk based coffees the wait between espresso and heating to steam was an issue for us with the Rancilio Silvias etc.

We attended the Home Barista course run by Hazel at Di Bartoli (highly recommended) and had a fabulous morning learning lots and trying all sorts of machines. That was a huge bonus.

We are now making great coffee, mainly milk based, we removed the extra wand attatchment on the steam arm as we prefer microfoam. We happily pull espressos and steam milk at the same time. Our coffees with only two weeks practice are infinitely better than the local coffee shops. I am very impressed with the microfoam I am making. The espressos are great, and lots of real crema now we have the new tamper!.

We are usually pulling two to four espressos and milk for same at a time and the machine has no problem keeping up.

We have had no problems so far.

Goodluck
    with your decision.

Comment

Thanks Salmon that was very helpful. Iam in Sydney so am trying to find an opportunity to get into Di Bartoli myself. I think this week I may be in luck. I have found them to o very patient as well, as other all other site sponsors. The ones that have gin advice seem to go beyond the call of Duty.

Brett

Comment

How is the brew temperature controlled on this machine? Is it the same sort of brew thermostat as in most single-boiler machines?

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1158997293/0#3 date=1159073902
          How is the brew temperature controlled on this machine?  Is it the same sort of brew thermostat as in most single-boiler machines?
          Well Luca I actually have no idea so someone else maybe able to answer that who actually has a clue unlike myself. I pasted the feature list below though which may give you more insight into the actual machine although I realise this doesnt indicate adjustment. Is this actually still classed as a single boiler? I kind of inderstand the difference of single boilers and HX from previous threads but I was under the impression that the Ascaso was different again. My puny brain is starting to get squished.
          Features of the Acasco Steel Duo
          270 long x 360 wide x 315 deep (mm)
          3 L water tank
          Inox steel bodywork
          15 kg weight
          230V/120V
          1200 + 900 W power
          16 BAR pump pressure
          100° coffee thermostat
          140° steam thermostat
          Safety thermostat
          Steam pipe protector
          Brass filterholder (Ø 60 mm)
          Coffee solenoid (no drip)
          Independent steam group
          Independent water (with solenoid)
          No water warning light (auto stop)
          S-2 autoprime valve
          Cappuccino / hot water pipe

My ramble continues,

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1158997293/0#3 date=1159073902
            How is the brew temperature controlled on this machine? Is it the same sort of brew thermostat as in most single-boiler machines?
            Most single boiler commercial machines use a pressurestat (set the pressure in the boiler to between 1 and 1.5 bars typically) This corresponds to a water temp of 120 deg for 1 bar pressure.

The single (domestic) boiler machines have two thermostats.... one for brew temp (typically about 92 deg and one for steam temp - around 120 deg. The temp of the boiler being chosen by the brew/steam switch.

The brew side of this machine appears to have a thermostat like the domestic single boilers but wont be switched as the steam is created by the seperate thermoblock.... The same system the Sunbeam uses.

Im surprised that the brew temp is set at 100deg C..... :

seems a tad hot to me!!

Comment

Well maybe Salmon can answer the adjustable temp question. If it isnt adjustable is it just a matter of a cooling flush each time (or other options that people do to achieve this) you want to pull a shot? Or do you replace thermostats to achieve this? Or does that mean I strike this off the list in our opinions?

The further I dig the harder it comes! Just want ti make the most informed decision I can I suppose so I can get bang for buck. I am really thinking about trying to russle up a few extra coins to go for the Expobar SA.

Brett

Comment

The Ascaso Steel Duo Pro has the 300ml brass brew boiler. The temperature is controlled by a thermostat, so therell be a large swing in temperature within the thermostat deadband (ie. the temperature difference between where the thermostat clicks off and back on again, usually in the range of 8-10 C with the actual measured swing more like 15 C or more).

100 C is the usual thermostat found in single boiler machines, like the later model Silvias. Thermostat rating for the brew cycle can be as high as 107 C (Gaggia and old Silvia).

Youll have to temeprature surf for best performance, but with the lower 100 C thermostat, the best brew temp will be close to where the thermostat switches the element off. Wait maybe 1-2 minutes and viola!
                Just taste test a see how you go.

With the steam thermoblock youll have to be careful that scale build-up doesnt cause a blockage. Im not sure how this machine handles that. The Sunbeam has an auto-clean cycle to handle this.

The Duo Pro should have a commercial sized porta-filter. Id check this. The specs say 60 mm, but this may be a measure of the outer diameter. A commercial portafilter takes 58 mm baskets. Having a commercial compatible machine is great for getting good after market gear, like trying different filter baskets or porta-filters. The shower screens and water dispersion blocks may also be compatible with commercial gear. This will make them cheap to replace/repair.

For the price, you are in the NS Oscar/Expobar Office Pulser territory. A HX machine will probably be more forgiving and more consistent for day to day use. Otherwise adding a PID controller to the brew cycle could provide a very nice temperature tunmable machine. This might be a better solution for the technical types, but will void the warranty.

Im sure it will make a great coffee. My old Faema Family did, and it seems to share the same brew boiler as this machine.

Just a few thoughts to add to the pot.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Thanks Mark that is all very helpful and sensible information you have provided. I am leaning more and more to the Expobar Office SA the more i ponder and I can see myself biting the bullet and placing an order on a machine and grinde this week. Having been in contact with 2MCM today and had proven to be invaluable as usual. I wander how I can keep the excitement down once I place my order and have an agonising weight. I am sure the Krups will being cursed at everytime I attempt to pour out a shot once the order is in. Might not be a good machine but it has sparked my interest into the wonderful world of espresso though.

Thanks for the advice so far good people and if others want to add to the pot feel free.

Brett

Comment

Right, OK, cool, so for shots itll basically be identical to using a silvia/faema family/gaggia type machine.

Next question; brew pressure. Im guessing it doesnt have a preinfusion chamber, does it at least have an adjustable OPV? It has a brew pressure gauge, right?

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Yep it has a brew pressure gauge. As for the adjustable OPV, maybe the vendor could enlighten us.

Sounds like its a moot point as it looks like the expobar will get the nod.

Comment

Yeah thanks one and all for responses. Expobar is now officially the winner after all that. Your comments certainly gave insight into the decision and am now in the process of ordering with 2mcm. He has been very patient and insightful right from the first day I signed up to this new world of coffee forums.

Brett

Comment

Another bloody Brett!

All the best
                          Brett

Comment

i was here for the Brett Poll telemaster so not quite an addition but am still fairly new.

Brett

Comment

Working...
                            X