Gaggia Classic pump leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic pump leak

I was just about to fit a PID to my classic but when I opened it up I found it has a small leak on the pump outlet. It is between the plastic outlet and the brass elbow, I am thinking of removing the elbow and putting some ptfe tape to try and stop the leak. Is this a good way to go?

Re: Gaggia Classic pump leak

Just bumping your post dkelly.

I dont know the answer to your quuestion but hopefully now that the long weekend (footy finals) is over, someone that does know will happen by.

Comment

Originally posted by dkelly60 link=1159589342/0#0 date=1159589342
      I was just about to fit a PID to my classic but when I opened it up I found it has a small leak on the pump outlet. It is between the plastic outlet and the brass elbow, I am thinking of removing the elbow and putting some ptfe tape to try and stop the leak. Is this a good way to go?
      Gday David,

Is it possible to observe the location of where you suspect the leak originates while the pump is running (being very careful about the exposed 240V AC connections)? If the water is actually leaking from out of this join, then removing, cleaning and replacing the Teflon tape will probably fix it for you. If its a crack in the plastic pump housing though, then a new pump will be required unfortunately. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

The pump can provide up to 15bar pressure. If there is a leak in the pump plastic output tube, then wraping in teflon tape will be like trying to hold back a tsunami with a salami... If however, the leak is from the thread where the elbow screws in, then teflon tape may well work fine and you can eat the salami. New pumps are about $50, so no drama if it needs replacing. Besides, after getting the PID gear all sorted, a pump is just a minor set back.

This is basically what Mal said, but with the addition of a salami.

Good luck.

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1159589342/0#3 date=1159844489
          If there is a leak in the pump plastic output tube, then wraping in teflon tape will be like trying to hold back a tsunami with a salami...
          LOL ;D,

Good one Mark.... Just trying to picture you waving a slice of salami (my preference is for Hungarian) at an oncoming Tsunami :P,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1159589342/0#4 date=1159849055
            Good one Mark.... Just trying to picture you waving a slice of salami (my preference is for Hungarian) at an oncoming Tsunami :P,
            Maybe if you got a really big salami and used it as a personal floatation device? That way youd also have several days supply of food with you after the tsunami dropped you off. ;D

Java "How long will a salami float?" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Good news, the salami is on the pizza.

Thanks for the replies guys but I got impatient and fixed it on Monday. Turns out it was only the thread leaking. ;D

Also here is photos of the pid mod

David

Comment

Excellent David [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Youre in for some treats now, the Classic with PID Control is a great combo and Sparky can attest to that too, even without the salami ,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X