Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hardware Purchase

Hi Folks,
    Im a newbie to the boards but have been reading with much interest over the last few months while researching my soon to be new coffee machine.

I think Im nearly ready to take the plunge into high-end hardware from my trusty (but boring) Krups Machine.

Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $1500 but will go up to $2000 if I have to.

That and aesthetics are the only factors for me. I figure that when youre looking at the top end of the home brew market, Id be pretty unlucky to get myself a crappy machine that makes crap coffee!

So for looks, I like an exposed group head. the ECM Giotto (priced from $2200, the Bricoletta from $1895 and the isomac Millennium is a cutie also @ around $1900. I also like the Minore II, but think its getting out of the price range probably. The only thing I really dont like is the big clumpy feet on an Expobar. Hmm

So my question is: which one do I go for and who from the sponsors is going to give me the best deal. I think it might be a modern-day shopaholic disorder, but I dont mind spending money on something if I think Im getting a good deal. So feel free to provide opinion, thoughts, ideas or best deals via PM if youd like.

Thanks all.. (really enjoy the discussions also)

Franc

PS: I live in St Kilda, Melbourne - about 350 cafes within walking distance, but oh no! I need a coffee machine of my own!

Re: New Hardware Purchase

Dont forget to budget in a good grinder. A great brewer is useless with-out a good grinder!

Java "Gotta love new toys!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi Lion,

You are talking some good machines here, but you will need to factor in a good grinder also. I can assist with the Giotto but would also suggest that you may like to consider the Diadema Junior Plus Semi-auto. Its a brilliant machine and dead sexy to boot ...

Drop me a line if youd like more info or a play...I have Minore II, Giotto and the Diadema demos all on the bench in the cafe and all ready to play with 8-)

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1159762072/0#2 date=1159773565
        You are talking some good machines here, but you will need to factor in a good grinder also.
        You can say that again! Stepless is the go.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Will definatly factor in the grinder, but it may have to be a delayed purchase depending on what damage the cost of the actual machine is.. Until then I will likely head down Carlisle st and get my coffee pre-ground. Hope thats not some sacrilegious comment I just made! Simply my financial reality...

The Diadema Junior Plus does look pretty fine there Chris, I will come down and check it out along with the others soon.

Was also thinking of a pre-loved machine or getting something to tied me over for a few months until I make up my mind on which is best. Was thinking the Isomac Venus as a possible make do. Thoughts anyone? Is it 1/2 decent? Or do I just bite the bullet and get something A1?

Thanks.
          Franc (lionman)

Comment

instead of getting a used single boiler (Isomac Venus etc...) why not spend those dollars on a grinder to tide you over while you decide on the final machine to get? Plunger is a cheap way to enjoy fresh coffee. The grinding process, and doing it just prior to brewing is one of the best ways to improve your coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by rice link=1159762072/0#5 date=1159785598
              instead of getting a used single boiler (Isomac Venus etc...) why not spend those dollars on a grinder to tide you over while you decide on the final machine to get? Plunger is a cheap way to enjoy fresh coffee. The grinding process, and doing it just prior to brewing is one of the best ways to improve your coffee.
              That is certainly excellent advice....

Get yourself a decent grinder (probably more important than the machine.... )

Shop bought pre grounds (even freshly ground ones) can be reasonable but by no means a match to the type of machines you are looking at.... You WILL be dissappointed with the espresso.

Fresh ground plunger coffee can be extremely good.... most people tend to use stale, shop bought pre ground coffee..... Grind it fresh and you will be very happy with the quality..... and then choose the best machine later...

EDIT: Just remembered- there is a very important "rule" as to when coffee is stale called the rule of threes.... defines how long you should store coffee.
              Green beans- 3 years
              Roast beans- 3 weeks
              Ground beans- 3 minutes

(You would need to go to the shop often and rush back real fast )

Comment

Originally posted by lionman link=1159762072/0#4 date=1159783911
                Until then I will likely head down Carlisle st and get my coffee pre-ground. Hope thats not some sacrilegious comment I just made! Simply my financial reality...
                Not sacrilegious, just the reality of the poor shots youll get using preground coffee.

In order to consistantly pull great shots the grind must continuously be adjusted to compensate for changes in temperature and humidity.

Even more importantly once coffee is ground it must be used with-in minutes or it looses its flavors. The finer the grind, the faster the flavors are lost.

Java "The grind is all important" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Sage Advice people.... Thank you.

I think of the ground bean everytime I reach for my already ground stuff and know that a gringer would make the world of difference. I just dont want it to make too much difference and force the logic part of my brain to convince the illogical (coffee addicted) side that the old Krups unit is quite fair with the taste of freshly ground coffee beans! Hmm,

Ok, so grinders... My list of coveted grinders is as follows:

ECM Best Grinder - I think I like this one the best for looks.
                  Macap M5 - Also a good looker, but is blades??
                  Mini Mazzer - attractive, smart looking...
                  Iberital - dont know much about it. But it looks nice & reasonably priced.
                  Rancillio Rocky - ok looking, sort of no-fuss kind of thing I was thinking.

Advice anyone? I almost have to make a purchase of some description this weekend I think. Otherwise I will drive myself (and my partner) crazy obsessing about it all and the grinder sounds like a pretty sound investment at this point.

Thanks again for advice.
                  Franc (lionman)

Comment

Hi Franc...

Any of the first three on your list would be excellent (they are really small commercial grinders...)

The Iberital and the rocky Id probably rate as "adequate" in my opinion for the type of machines which you are looking at down the track.

have a read of :

http://www.home-barista.com/feature-spotlight-grinders.html

for details about some of the above models and some clues as to what you should be looking for......

Id go for the ECM or the Mini Mazzer.... but thats just me!

Im sure some of the site sponsors will come to your aid.....

Just one thing, if you are going to make plunger coffee for now and espresso when you get your machine (and maybe plunger from time to time as well)- make sure the grinder can be easily adjusted over a wide range of grind sizes -

My La Cimbali Jnr would be useless although it is a superb espresso only grinder!

Comment

After a while you dont really notice the feet on the Expobar.
                      And they do make it easy to clean under.

I have the Macap M5 (it doesnt have blades) to go with my Expobar Leva.

Both supplied by Chris at Talk Coffee.

Do go see him.
                      I didnt have that luxury being in Sydney.

Comment

Hi JavaB.

Thanks for the advice. I think Ill probably keep using the Krups Machine I have now until I replace with something decent. It does ok for an old machine.

Thanks for the comments though, I will keep it in mind.

Also, just looking at the Compak K6 - think its a pretty nice unit also. Hmmm

Think I will definatly go for a grinder pretty soon and work up to a decision on the actual replacement machine.

Thanks for the advice all...

Franc

Comment

Originally posted by lionman link=1159762072/0#11 date=1159795834

Also, just looking at the Compak K6 - think its a pretty nice unit also. Hmmm

Think I will definatly go for a grinder pretty soon and work up to a decision on the actual replacement machine.
                          Yep the K6 is a commercial quality machine as well - and very nice.

You wont be sorry if you purchase a quality grinder. I used a "domestic" grade burr grinder for years- the last 18 months teamed up with a Solis SL90.... I thought the coffee was pretty good. After some research where everyone said the grinder was the most important piece of equipment - I bit the bullet and managed to get the La Cimbali grinder (second hand)....

The quality of the coffee improved by far more than I had ever imagined it would..... I could get near brilliant pours from the SL90!!

You could track the beans as they aged, or compensate fpr the changes in the weather.... And just the improvement in grind consistancy was unbelievable...

Enjoy your journey!

Comment

For those of you that dont have the Compak catalogue, the K6 is basically the Compak equivalent of a Mazzer Super Jolly. The K3 Elite is the equivalent of the mini.

Originally posted by JavaB link=1159762072/0#9 date=1159794037
                            The Iberital and the rocky Id probably rate as "adequate" in my opinion for the type of machines which you are looking at down the track.
                            Hehehe ... Ive got a thread on those two grinders going on HB (thought Id see what the folk overseas think).

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Working...
                            X