Impressod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressod

Muahahahahahaha (evil laugh continues for quite some time)

Ive received my Presso from site sponsor Presso.

Have not yet used it, so this must needs be a very short post so that I can!

Ok - yes scary photo I should have cropped it down to the Presso

Re: Impressod

Just had my first two presso shots - grind too coarse on the first - got it very close on the second. It is a sad and wonderful world when you can get better shots from a Presso than from many cafes.

Comment

Nice shot!

So what does the other half say when you ask for a photo of you with your coffee equipment?  Or is this par for the norm? ;D

I get weird looks from the SO when Im caught taking a photo of a particularly good pour!  :-[

Comment

On our first date I sang Gilbert and Sullivan - shes used to me.

Comment

I bought a Presso about a year or so ago and have had a hard time getting decent shots. Most of the time I get a small amount of crema and the shot tastes sour/bitter. On a few rare occasions did the shot turn out good. Im using freshly ground beans on a burr grinder with a true espresso setting. Maybe its the temp control. Ive tried all the techniques (adding boiled water to warm up the presso, heating the portafilter in boiling water, etc) and Ive even made a plug as described in Jim Schulmans article (http://users.ameritech.net/jim_schulman/Presso-Report.html)

HELP!!! any ideas?? maybe I should work on my temp control some more

or maybe I should just go buy a used La Pavoni

Comment

Are you using fresh beans?

Have you checked for signs of channeling in the puck?

Are you using a correctly sized tamper?

Java "Things to think about" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Im using a prefectly sized tamper (more heavy duty than the one out of the box) and fresh beans. I havent checked for channeling in the puck. Tonight I will run through a couple of shots and see what happens.

Comment

I nearly gave up with the PRESSO until I roasted my own small batches of SO beans from CoffeeSnobs.

Buying the packaged stuff in the supermarket was my first mistake!

I tried many roasters blends I took my PRESSO in to the roaster, got delicious results in the shop and as soon as I got home, never after that. I changed my buying habits and bought 100g batches from my local roaster; this had the bonus of allowing me a more regular contact with someone who "knew" about coffee.

I roasted a few different types of bean from the Coffee Snobs starter pack in my daughter’s pop corn popper and was amazed and the depth of flavours available from the humble bean. The same bean roasted differently can respond poorly to the pressure/heat combination in the PRESSO then dazzle with smoothness with greater/less time in between cracks.

This prompted me to investigate the chemical changes in the bean: during roasting, degassing, grinding, cupping and swallowing.

The complex chemical unions that are affected by heat, oxygen and water give us many readings of the same bean.

I became happy with my shot consistency once I logged the roast profile each twenty seconds then controlled the roast length, making sure there was no drop in temp between the 1st and 2nd crack.

Pre heating the PRESSO, Grinding to the conditions and even tamping complete the equation.
                I pour boiling water into the chamber after pre heating with a couple of "nude" charges of water
                Raise the lever action arms and allow the grounds to pre-infuse for 15 sec
                Apply even, unrelenting downward pressure on the arms and hold
                As the stream of golden espresso blondes I take a second pump and hold.
                This process after the pre-infusion should take less than 23 sec, too long and your grind is too fine

I have to remind myself that for a non powered, lever action portable espresso maker under $250 it leads it class.

Hope this helps

Comment

Well, of course the other variable to play around with is the beans themselves. I had some great results with some mandheling a week or two ago, but worse results with daterra. Mandheling is typically renowned for the body and mouthfeel that it brings to a cup, and it can take a lot of heat during roasting. This means that you can use a relatively dark roast and start off with a bean that will be more comfortable with low brew temperatures and will have less acidity to start off with. Hmm ... anyone want to try to come up with a presso blend?

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

making sure there was no drop in temp between the 1st and 2nd crack.

Hi Presso,
                    Im interested in your experiences here, would you mind elaborating.

Bruce

Comment

Luca - I am working on a Presso Blend right now! Bali at about 40% and the other 60% is where I am experimenting. Im going to try Tiger Mountain for 30% and perhaps some brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1159871502/0#10 date=1160443249
                        Im going to try Tiger Mountain for 30% and perhaps some brazil.
                        What sort of brazil? If its just a normal, washed one, Id imagine that its the exact thing that youd want to avoid.

Have you tried the bali by itself as a relatively dark roast? Maybe try that as a base at like 60 or 70% and then some Tiger Mountain as the rest as a flavour hilight?

That colombian peaberry that was floating around would probably be pretty good, too - nice and smooth, if you get it right.

Guess that what Im advocating is going for a bolder, more boring blend that will extract easily rather than trying to use more delicate coffees that might be a bit more finnicky.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Well I made a little progress last night. The shot actually tasted halfway decent. The crema was still weak (Ill add a picture of it later). Im using an espresso blend from a local roaster. Maybe I should try something else. BTW, to heat up the portafilter, I left it on the eye of the stove (I have a glass top stove) for a about 30sec right after the water boiled and it seemed to do a good job heating it up. I only put the metal part on the eye with the coffee tamped inside. Once it was heated, I transfered it to the Presso, poured the water, and pulled the shot.

Looks like Ill be trying some other coffee beans. Looks like several other people in this thread are on that track.

Comment

Here is the image of the crema.. Sorry but I didnt have a clear espresso cup so I used a small glass.

Comment

Luca - you are probably right on the money with the blend suggestions. I ended up making a pot luck blend with some beans I roasted on Sunday - Columbian and Panamaria left over from my starter pack. Actually came up terrific with an impressive mouthfeel. It is as close as I have come to a god-shot in a while. Bloody nice, no sourness at all. I made a couple more after that - flat whites for myself and Mrs Grendel and the flavours cut through the milk really well also. Now of course I have to try and replicate it!

I really overpacked the filter, tamped very firmly, had everthing preheated and gave it the full 15 seconds wet time with the water on the grounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X