Pressure valve for commercial ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure valve for commercial ?

The water pressure at my house seems quite high and with my bezzera commercial I have a resting pressure on the pump/line gauge of 7 bars, which seems a bit high.
    I noticed when the washing machine uses water this will drop to about 5 bars and may swing quite high afterwards. It always returns to seven after the bezzeras pump kicks in. When coffee is extracted the gauge hits about 8 for a few seconds while the preinfusion pressure builds up to about 9 bars.
    Should I install a pressure limiting valve for the machine? If so what pressure or what kind?

Brett

Re: Pressure valve for commercial ?

Brett....

Definately need a pressure regulator....

Pressure from the mains with most commercials machines shouldnt exceed 6 Bar ( and IMHO even that is a bit high! 5 Bar is the most I would use.)

Lower pressure gives better pre-infusion (time for pressure in the group to get to 9 Bar).

The readily available ones (ex places like Bunnings) run 3.5 Bar (which is fine) but dont expect much change out of $100

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1161406389/0#1 date=1161407412
      Brett....

Definately need a pressure regulator....

Pressure from the mains with most commercials machines shouldnt exceed 6 Bar ( and IMHO even that is a bit high! 5 Bar is the most I would use.)

Lower pressure gives better pre-infusion (time for pressure in the group to get to 9 Bar).

The readily available ones (ex places like Bunnings) run 3.5 Bar (which is fine) but dont expect much change out of $100

Hi Java
      what would these be rated at- the ones I saw this morning were not in bars but psi I think or something similar and yes, $99
      Brett

Comment

[QUOTE=telemaster link=1161406389/0#2 date=1161408186]
        Originally posted by JavaB link=1161406389/0#1 date=1161407412
        Hi Java
        what would these be rated at- the ones I saw this morning were not in bars but psi I think or something similar and yes, $99
        Brett
        Yep, bit expensive - but needed unfortunately!!

Bar to psi multiply by 14.7 (not exactly correct - but close enough!!)

So 3.5 Bar = 51 psi....

Comment

Sorry to be a pain, but the valves may have been listed in Kpa such as 350. Mean anything to you?
          thanks
          Brett

ps Boema recommend this size

Comment

Originally posted by telemaster link=1161406389/0#4 date=1161410084
            Sorry to be a pain, but the valves may have been listed in Kpa such as 350. Mean anything to you?
            thanks
            Brett
            Hey, no problem Brett...

Kpa to Bar is easier - divide by 100

So thats the 3.5 Bar you need (thats the most common pressure regulator)

Comment

All,

one MUST NOT plumb in any modern commercial esp machine without also fitting a 350 kPa water pressure limiting valve.

IF the machine is fitted without, it is unable to deliver the pressure required to brew espresso as intended, and there is not consistency in the pressure. The system requires first a pressure reduction, then the machines own water pump can boost to correct pressure without fear of fluctuations in mains poressure throughoiut the day, accounting for peak useage in the mains, etc etc etc.

In addition if a water filter / conditioner is also to be fitted (and it should),  running full unreduced mains pressure through the filter can in many cases cause flimsy plastic bodied filters to fail quite quickly.

Hope this helps,
              FC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1161406389/0#6 date=1161470228
                All,

one MUST NOT plumb in any modern commercial esp machine without also fitting a 350 kPa water pressure limiting valve.

IF the machine is fitted without, it is unable to deliver the pressure required to brew espresso as intended, and there is not consistency in the pressure. The system requires first a pressure reduction, then the machines own water pump can boost to correct pressure without fear of fluctuations in mains poressure throughoiut the day, accounting for peak useage in the mains, etc etc etc.

In addition if a water filter / conditioner is also to be fitted (and it should), running full unreduced mains pressure through the filter can in many cases cause flimsy plastic bodied filters to fail quite quickly.

Hope this helps,
                FC.
                Thanks FC a pressure reduction valve is on its way
                Brett

Comment

prv bought from
                  http://www.espressowarehouse.com.au/shop/shop49.html
                  - $48 + GST which is a lot less tha $99 at Bunnings
                  Works a treat
                  thanks
                  Brett

Comment

Brett...

Now that is a significant saving!!

Have you noticed any improvement in your espresso now that you would be getting longer pre-infusion.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1161406389/0#9 date=1162106431
                      Brett...

Now that is a significant saving!!

Have you noticed any improvement in your espresso now that you would be getting longer pre-infusion.
                      In the preinfusion inherent in the machine, theres a little longer as pressure builds, but more importantly, on my machine (with lever actuated pump), you can do a manual preinfusion. Here is where I noticed I can get incredibly long preinfusions now before any espresso starts to drip through- 15-20 sec- though not sure if this is too long though!
                      Lots of crema, and it lasts very well
                      Thanks again, Java
                      Brett

Comment

Working...
                      X