What shall I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shall I buy

Hi all, Ive been a fan of the website for a while but just joined up. Im a big coffee drinker but must admit I use a plunger at home!!! I am however, in the market for a machine and need recomendations please. We live in Adelaide and Ive been told its important to have someone good to service the machine. My brother in Brisbane has a Nuovo Simonelli which I love, but I have made the occaisional disastrous coffee on this. It seems that most of you have the Ranchilio Silvia...but my priority is to have the machine plumbed in. Can the Silvia be plumbed in? There is a local supplier for Boema in Adelaide, apparently the guy cuts down the single group machine for domestic use. I dont have a price on this. i dont really want to go over $2500-$3000and I think I would prefer manual or semi-automatic. There is something unsavoury about a fully automatic machine!!. Any suggestions? :

Re: What shall I buy

The machines you mention are all capable machines, but quite different. The Silvia is a stand alone machine with its own reservoir and is not plumbed in. A friend has the boema (it seems to share parts with bezzera) for commercial use and loves it, and I find it very easy to use and very forgiving, as are most commercial machines.
    Please remember you can make disastrous coffee on any machine- about 25% of the coffee quality is the machine- most of the rest is the person who operates it (with a bit for the beans).
    Brett

Comment

Gday C4M,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

I cant recommend our site sponsors too highly and even though they are not located "next door" they still provide excellent backup service and support and are definitely worth a go. Just cruise through the links up on the top L/H side of the page. All the best mate,

Mal.

Comment

Greetings,

will reiterate Bretts advice. You have mentioned 3 different types and price brackets of espresso machine. Need to decide what "group" of machine you want or can budget for, and go from there.

Auto machines give mellow, "light" espresso, and are great for those that just want convenience at the flick of a button. Non auto machines give a stronger, full bodied, traditional brew but you have to "work for it".

Otherwise the decision is relatively easy...if you can budget for the best there is no point in going for the cheaper equipment, so go straight for the up to 3 g machinery and pick one whether it be auto or trad type.

Over to you.

Regardz,
        FC.

Comment

Thanks for your input...I guess I want to know what you would buy with $3000?
          Deb

Comment

Hi Deb!

Personally, Id seriously look at either an Expobar or an ECM machine and probably pair them up with a Mazzer grinder.

But for now, Ill just stick with the Silvia and Rocky.

Comment

Hi Deb,

I have an Expobar and Macap grinder that I purchased from a site sponsor.
              I struggled to find a dealer in Sydney, but am quite happy with the service Ive received from the sponsor in Melbourne.

I dont expect anything to go wrong soon as Ive only had the equipment for just over 2 months, but should I ever need help, I have no doubts Ill be looked after.

Thats a fairly healthy budget youve got there and should allow you to choose something youll be happy with for a very long time.

Talk to the site sponsors.

And welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee4me link=1161850054/0#4 date=1161853260
                Thanks for your input...I guess I want to know what you would buy with $3000?
                Deb
                OK, I think that we really need some more information about what you want from a machine before we can be of any help. Here are some questions to think about:

(a) Do you already have a good quality grinder for espresso? If not, you need to factor that into your purchase price.

(b) Are you the sort of person that would rather a 9/10 coffee with a bit of time, effort and mess, or would you prefer a 3/10 coffee that takes much less effort to make?

(c) What sort of use is the machine going to get? Ie. what sorts of drinks are you going to be making?

(d) Is it imperative that the machine be plumbed in or is it only preferred? (Why?) Also, and perhaps more importantly, will you plumb the machine out?

(e) Where are you located and how are you going to get service? Are you comfortable with doing your own repairs, should they be needed?

Once you have told us a bit more, we can then hopefully give you a list of machines to investigate.

One final thought - it really is absolutely imperative to try the machines, or, at the very least, have them demoed to you if at all possible. I recently wrote this on the matter:

There are a myriad of different factors at play; thermosyphon restrictors, flow restrictors, hx inlet length, boiler size, basket, water distribution ... Unfortunately, I think that its more or less impossible to judge how these things perform just from a statistics page on the internet alone, which will not mention most of these factors. Im not going to name the machines, because people seem to get irritated when I dont like their toys, but to give you a brief rundown of some of my (brief) prosumer HX experiences:

Machine A: 100mL cooling flush, espresso went from dark to blonde relatively quickly. Massive steam power, pretty good steam tip.

Machine B: 10mL cooling flush (just to clean the screen), picture-perfect pour. Steam OK for 6oz cappuccini, but not very abundant. Stock steam tip sucked.

Machine C: 300mL cooling flush (!), 10 seconds to first drops, regardless of grind; espresso started off very dark, then finished an OK colour. Heaps of steam, but, again, stock tip sucked.

Three different machines, nothing too different about them on paper, but Machine B leads the pack by a mile, IMHO.
                Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Ok..
                  I need a grinder..and this site has convinced me a good one is essential.
                  I want a great coffee and dont mind the time and the mess.
                  We are a family of four...mostly short blacks and cappuchinos will be made.
                  Im keen on plumbed in and out because ive had issues with mould in previous cheap machines with storage tanks..and I like the convenience.
                  I cant service the machine myself.
                  I just did some research on the ECM and Exobar...which look like i could really mess up a coffee.
                  Does that help?
                  Deb

Comment

Im loving my Expobar (had it 2 months now) and I cant imagine mould being a problem and it certainly doesnt qualify as cheap.
                    ECM no doubt would attract similar comments.

Dont sell yourself short, the Expobar is not difficult to use.

Comment

Hi again Deb,

While I have every respect for the opinions held by my fellow members, when you are looking to start out from scratch the way you are and with that budget, you really do need to talk to a couple of unbiased reputable professionals and they will be able to advise you on a combination that will match your requirements to a tee. Ive been in the coffee game as an amateur for a couple of decades and like everyone else, I also have my own beliefs and opinions but they pale into insignificance compared to the knowledge and experience over many decades that our esteemed Site Sponsors have.

You are talking about a fairly significant purchase here and Im sure you would prefer the advice of professionals over that of we amateurs, even though our advice is provided with enthusiasm and good intent .

Cheers Deb,
                      Mal.

Comment

Heres an analogy: You wouldnt buy a car if you couldnt kick the tyres.

Dont go for something that you cant see demod or pull shots yourself.

Is it worth maybe taking a weekend trip to see the nearest site sponsor? That depends on how serious you are about getting the best package. Price isnt everything, its the pre and post-sales service that really makes the difference.

Some places like to dangle the carrot of after-sales service. Then when something goes wrong, the lines always engaged or you get an answering machine.

Comment

Hey Deb,

The trouble with asking such a question on a list like this is you can end up (very quickly as already seen), confused with all the different opinions / options and especially, with all the technical stuff you are being hit with.

May I respectfull suggest that equipment either works well or it doesnt regardless of all the techo "stuff" inside.

Also, beware the constant cyclic recommendation of only a few brands, there is more to life than the monopoly of ECM & Mazzer & Rancilio in lists like this....(although I would be happy to sell you rancilio stuff as we import it.).

As an individual, find out what you like and buy it.

I will reiterate.....you need to have an idea of what you like/want. You should head straight to a site sponsor and SPEAK to him/her, either in person or by telephone. Emails are impersonal and we spend a great deal of time replying to questions relating to comparisons of technical specs........thats unproductive & time consuming and as already stated above in a roundabout way, you dont make coffee with tech specs you make it with something that does the job intended.

If you want to call me, I will take the call, contact details from my website or if you click on my name at the side of this post.

Regardz,
                          FC.

Comment

I can see where Deb is coming from though, fellas. As much as she wants to go and try out stuff and actually go shopping (what woman doesnt!!) she also wants to hear what those of us like and dislike in our everyday coffee making experiences. I think that for consumers the internet has kind of become the electronic equivalent of "word of mouth" endorsing and advertising. Hence why Coffee Snobs has such a prestigious list of site sponsors as they know the power of this sort of thing!

Im in agreement with all, Deb, you really should go and have a look in person too. As you probably well know thats half the fun of the purchase and I guess youre well aware of that!

But do your research too and go well armed with information when you do want to purchase. I know it helps to have a clear picture in your mind of what youre aiming to acheive.

Glad to see youre also aware you need a good grinder to match your machine!

Comment

Why not contact each of the sponsors for suggestions at the 3 grand budget and take a visit, alternatively ask luca what machine b was- his head is screwed on the right way.
                              Whatever you choose, there will be a learning curve where you are likely to feel like a total goose, but unless you accept that and buy a machine which allows you lots of control (and lots of stuff ups) you wont get on that road to coffee nirvana!
                              Sorry of that seems blunt- not intended
                              Brett

Comment

Working...
                              X