Basket sticks to grouphead gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket sticks to grouphead gasket

Anybody out there had the fun of warming up Silvia and then finding when you remove the PF, that the basket is not in the PF, its stuck to the grouphead gasket :-?

Now everything is HOT and the shape of the basket really makes it easy to get hold of and unstick it :

Generally I have to put PF back in and wiggle it vigorously and/or somehow try and wrestle the the basket away from the grouphead.

After each days use I rinse the basket thoroughly, perform flush and wiggle, then wipe out up the side of the grouphead with a chux and a brief water backflush....(and thorough clean with espresso cleaner about once a week)

Im using the coffeeparts alternative basket that takes a bit larger dose, and cant remember now if the original Rancilio double basket has done the same thing.

Any comments please?

Re: Basket sticks to grouphead gasket

Nope. Never had that issue.

I also used the 14g basket from coffeparts as my standard.
    I would often have the empty portafilter in place for around an hour and never had the basket stay behind.

Do you use the spring in the portafilter?
    If you do, it might be worth the $1.50 to get a new one. I recently got a new LM portafilter (NOTE - NOT FOR THE SILVIA) and the spring is a lot firmer than the Rancilio one was.

In the new PF, the basket is in quite firmly. A little harder to pop out (i use the ridge of another basket), but no danger of being left behind.

Hope that helps.

Brett.

Comment

Ive had the same problem when I have left it in for a long time with the portafiller fully installed. Lots of swearing and blowing on fingers involved when trying to remove it.

I think its due to the portafiller being locked in too hard over too long a time frame. The heat over a while must be softening up the seal and causing it to mould a little to the shape of the filter basket. Doesnt happen to me during a standard 1/2 hour warm up.

I used to keep the portafiller in place between uses (which may be a few hours), but dont anymore as I have found it heats up quickly anyway once installed in the hot grouphead.

Comment

Ah yes, Ive had this same problem with my Napoletana, not the Silvia. The last rubber gasket I swapped had major indentations from the shape of the portafilter in it. Im assuming, that at higher temperature, the rubber gasket softens and allows the basket and portafilter to embed itself rather than rest against the gasket. Over time, the grooves in the gasket get deeper and deeper.

How long have you had your Silvia? Have you ever replaced the group gasket in it?

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys,

Fatboy, Now that you mention it, the spring in the PF might be marginal, will have to see if I can compare with Rayzurheds unit from just down the road.

MattG, most weekdays it only gets used once in the afternoon, so is locked in place for nearly 23 hours, I will try loosening the PF before the warmup and see how it goes, (just like I have to re-tension the steam knob to minimise the leaks out the steam wand when I turn her on).

MM-Mochmaster, I generally dont have problems with leakage around the seal unless Ive overdone the updose, which I thought was usually a sign of repalcement seal required. And while I have only had Silvia for a few months, she has been around for a while, although allegedly little used, so the seal probably should have a bit more life in it yet, although I guess its relatively inexpensive to replace.

Regards
          Bullitt

Comment

Bullitt,

Id recommend not keeping the portafiller in place all the time while not in use, especially not locked in hard. You may find that the seal will be more likely to compress permanently doing this and you will have to replace it sooner.

Matt

Comment

Ah yes, my Silvia does that when the portafilter is left heating for too long.

No big deal, just replace the handle and jiggle a little and the filter should dislodge from the group.

Fatboy, where did you get the replacement spring that holds the basket. Ive tried two different ones from coffeeparts but they are not the right ones.

Cheers

franjae

Comment

franjae,

I bought a new LM portafilter (for my new machine) with a spring and spout.

When I got it, I played a bit with swapping the spring between the 2 handles. Mainly because I was having trouble getting my basket into the LM handle and I wanted to check that it wasnt the spring. Once I moved it to the Rancilio PF, baskets worked OK, but were locked in much tighter.
                I then moved it back to the LM and it worked fine there too. I figured I must have not had it aligned correctly first go.

On the coffeeparts web page for Rancilio, the spring is part number - 612143. Same part number if you look at the Marzocco page - so I think the spring is pretty generic.

You probably have the right spring, but you need to play with it a bit. I think I ended up bending it out a bit, in a bit and running some water over it whilst locked in the group (no basket). Once I got one basket to slot in, no issues since.

I did think the exisitng Rancilio spring was slightly thinner that the new one when I got it. And the existing one was far more flexible. I put that down to amount of use, but it could just be a thinner spring.

Hope that helps.

Brett.

Comment

I have this same problem with my Napoletana, and only since I changed the gasket. Which leads me to think that the gasket material has something to do with it. The orange ones were a softish material and were fine, the black ones are made from a tougher rubber and seem to do this more. I suspect the Silvias use the tougher stuff as theyre more commercial.

Comment

Greg, slightly OT here, but do you know much about grinder adjustments for the Napoletanas? Im convinced mine is not grinding as fine as I would like it to. Maybe it needs new burrs after 6+ years ...

Ive had bought coffee wihch was ground much finer than I can get with my machine.

Comment

At the risk of hijacking the thread... Ive never had a problem with mine, I grind about 2-3.25 depending on the bean. Ive had mine 4 years and its had light to moderate use in that time, no more than 1 a day on average Id say, but if yours has had heavier use the burrs may need changing by now. The issue isnt so much whether bought stuff is finer as whether you can get the correct extraction times with your existing grinder. Turkish dust would choke an espresso machine; finer isnt better past a point.

Comment

I dont have the Silvia but do leave the PF in all day.
                        I dont lock it in tight though.
                        Just turn it to where it starts to tighten.
                        Thats enough to hold it in place but obviously still leaves room for heat expansion.

Comment

only have that problem with the botticelli when using the ridgeless 14g basket, so assume yours is most likely a spring problem
                          Brett

Comment

I have had the same problem with my gaggia Classic if the pf is left in all day. Gaggia recommends that you remove the pf when not in use. I need to replace the spring in the pf soon too as the machine is nearly two years old and this something I will get around to as a part of normal maintenance of the machine.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments fellow CSs.

A bit more info, when I got home from work yesterday, I checked it before I turned Silvia on, and it was already stuck to the gasket, so looks like it has more to do with being locked in a bit tight for the previous 23 odd hours, and maybe the gasket is a bit sticky, at least it doesnt leak.

Anyway relatively painless to get it unstuck when its not hot.

Regards
                              Bullitt

Comment

Working...
                              X