Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrating vs Rotary Pump

Hi
    Can someone please explain the pros and cons of the two types of pumps above? Also, for a domestic machine will the owner notice any difference between two?
    Thanks

Re: Vibrating vs Rotary Pump

Originally posted by srm link=1163703376/0#0 date=1163703376
    Hi
    Can someone please explain the pros and cons of the two types of pumps above? Also, for a domestic machine will the owner notice any difference between two?
    Thanks
    Im sure someone like JavaB can give the details, but lets start with the fact that most domestic machines use a vibratory pump- they are small, reliable and quite cheap to replace- $100 or under. Rotary pumps are for commercial machines (cafe style- the big ones) and have a motor and attached pump and each part could set you back $300. They are large and heavy- mine would measure somewhere near 200x150mm in the bezzera- the size and heavier than most domestic machines! They also require the machine to be plumbed in (in all I think, but not sure).

Wondering, is this an academic question or are you looking at 2 machines with differing types- if so theres a huge gap in price and volume of usage.
    Hope this breakfast time scrambled answer helps!
    Brett

Comment

All good points....

Rotary pumps are usually significantly quieter and some think that the pressure applied to the coffee puck is more consistent (possibly dependent on machine design?). Is that significant? Not sure.....

Most rotary machines require plumb-in and therefore the associated extra water treatment and management hardware- filters, pressure limiting valves etc.

ECM Veneziano and Iberital LAnna need not be plumbed- they come with a tank and can be switched from tank to mains connection. Expobar machines Semi-Auto through to Minore II can be converted to rotary pump at a cost of around $400 but the tank goes so they must be plumbed in....Some suppliers offer plumb-in kits for prosumer machines but we do not recommend the use of these...

I have spoken with ECM re the possibility of doing a rotary pump Giotto conversion....

Comment

Originally posted by telemaster link=1163703376/0#1 date=1163708892

Im sure someone like JavaB can give the details
        Brett
        Well Id better add my 2 cents worth

As has been said above, vib pumps are smaller, very reliable and significantly cheaper but produce more noise and only have enough water output for a single group machine.

The rotary pumps are large, heavy also very reliable - and expensive. They can be used in a machine with any number of groups - if you get one of the correct capacity.

Most prosumer and all domestic machines use vib pumps.... some prosumer machines have the option of replacing the tank with a rotary pump. It is essential rotary pumps have a water supply (some must even have a pressurised supply) or they "self distruct" quite quickly. Vib pumps wont be damaged if the tank runs out of water.

Many, including myself, have believed rotary pumps produce better coffee. There have been several blind tests undertaken with identical machines - one with a vib and the other with a rotary.....

The proof is in the cup......and NONE of the experts could tell the difference!

So the only real downside of a vib pump machine is the higher noise level

Comment

Didnt someone say that some of the newer rotary pumps (like the Procon) are able to run off a non-pressurised source like a tank?

Im not sure exactly but i seem to remember a discussion about it a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakal1 link=1163703376/0#4 date=1163720922
            Didnt someone say that some of the newer rotary pumps (like the Procon) are able to run off a non-pressurised source like a tank?

Im not sure exactly but i seem to remember a discussion about it a while back.

Yes- the ECM Veneziano and Iberital LAnna will run off a tank- so there are rotary pumps which will run without a pressurised water source...

Comment

I seriously cant tell the difference. However Im now running a rotary and draw water from an external tank. Procon pumps are rated at being able to draw water up to 2m, so you can have a tank under the machine.

Rotarys are quiet (some even whisper quiet) and supply water at a constant, settable and non-fluctuating pressure. Vibe pumps still are more than capable for the task if using a single group machine, although they are less hapy in some HX machines at simultaneously filling the boiler and making a shot (they just dont have enough capacity for this. However this is a relatively rare event for a HX machine so one dud shot in 100 is probably not a bad price to pay.

A rotary pump and motor can cost more that $500. Its a pretty expensive upgrade.

BTW Vibe pumps shouldnt be run dry for too long as theyll overheat and seize.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Only downside I know of with vibe pumps is that when I was setting the brew pressure via OPV on the botticelli (neednt have bothered it was spot on 9 bars) I noticed the flow decreased when the pump was tired- Id given it 60sec rest in between tests as ulka recommended but results were not constant. When I increased it to a few minutes they were spot on.
                Probably not an issue in normal use though!
                Brett

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1163703376/0#2 date=1163710222
                  I have spoken with ECM re the possibility of doing a rotary pump Giotto conversion....

Just out of curiosity, what did they say? To me this would be a pretty tempting machine.

Comment

I recently upgraded from a vibrating pump (San Marino CK Compact) which is a great looking reliable machine, although  a little noisy. It will pull shots and steam milk til the cows come home, to a rotary pump (ECM Veneziano). As impressed as I am with the CK, the ECM is in a league of its own. The shots come out like warm golden honey and the the micro foam is the stuff Id only ever dreamed about. The machine is also extremely quiet and has a huge water tank, with an audible alarm for low water level. I also looked closely at the Iberital LAnna as mentioned by 2mcm, also very impressive and considerably cheaper than the ECM. Ultimately though it was the ECMs reputation and (embaressingly) its appearance (lots of chrome), that won the day. If I had to use an analogy, I would say its like going from a Ford Fairlane, to a Mercedes SL 500. The Fairlanes a nice car, but if you have the budget, then you must have the Benz. It all comes down to $$$$$, if youve got em spend em. But at $3,000+ its alot to justify, which I cant, Im just obsessed.

Bart.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1163703376/0#2 date=1163710222
                      All good points....

Rotary pumps are usually significantly quieter and some think that the pressure applied to the coffee puck is more consistent (possibly dependent on machine design?). Is that significant? Not sure.....

Most rotary machines require plumb-in and therefore the associated extra water treatment and management hardware- filters, pressure limiting valves etc.

ECM Veneziano and Iberital LAnna need not be plumbed- they come with a tank and can be switched from tank to mains connection. Expobar machines Semi-Auto through to Minore II can be converted to rotary pump at a cost of around $400 but the tank goes so they must be plumbed in....Some suppliers offer plumb-in kits for prosumer machines but we do not recommend the use of these...

Last time i emailed expobar they said the Minore could draw water from a tank just add a one-way valve at the end of the tube.

Yes the pump can draw water from a tank, but it must have a non return valve fitted to it. Please note that if the tank of water runs dry you will damage the pump!!

Comment

A large tank is appropriate for a coffee cart, but I wouldnt think that a large tank would be a goer in the home....Imagine a big tank of green algae infested gunge....

I reckon you either plumb in properly or stick with the compromise of a smaller internal tank...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1163703376/0#11 date=1163745041
                          A large tank is appropriate for a coffee cart, but I wouldnt think that a large tank would be a goer in the home....Imagine a big tank of green algae infested gunge....
                          I love a cup of green algae in the morning I think I would rather fill a small container

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1163703376/0#11 date=1163745041
                            Corey has a rotary-pumped machine running off a big tank at home 8-) :

Comment

Yes Luca, I know...but I suspect that Corey also pulls a few more shots than your average Joe average

Comment

Working...
                              X