Nemox Napoletana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nemox Napoletana

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Nemox Napoletana?
    Is the SS boiler a problem? The smaller group set a hinderence? Are the a non pressure PF?
    Do they compare at to the Silvia?
    I have a Breville at the moment and a SUnbeam burr grinder. A friend has one of these and looking at parting with it. I realise that I will have another burr grinder (Lux) in the Nemox machine.
    Looking at Alan Fews site and he talks about the Opera with a Brass boiler, but not the SS version.
    Look forward to your thoughts
    Regards
    Andrew

Re: Nemox Napoletana

Hi Andrew,

My understanding is theyre pretty similar to the Nemox Dell Opera / Quaha / Imat Napoletana / Mokita Combi except they use a 53mm portafilter rather than 57mm. Didnt realise they werent brass internally. Im no expert but I believe brass is better than stainless steel for heat stability. Also brass group + stainless boiler could potentially lead to issues with the different expansion rates.

I would say the Silvia would be in a class above the Nemox Napoletana, and marginally above the Nemox Dell Opera. Everything Alan has to say about the Quaha Napoletana applies similarly to the Nemox Dell Opera.

Ultimately it depends what youre after. Ive had my machine for 4 years and while its not in Silvia or HX territory its sufficient for what I need. Many others would recommend upgrading to a Silvia or HX machine, but its actually fine for what I need. If youre not a big espresso drinker, you just want nice tasting freshly ground coffee for yourself and one or two others and you dont have upwards of $500 to spend, then Im sure itll be a big improvement on the Breville. Whatever advice others may give, remember its what youre going to use it for that matters, not whether it can compete with a $2000 machine.

Greg

Comment

Very well said Greg, I agree a 100%.
      BTW Ill be ordering my tamper soon!

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
        Greg I had read your web site regarding the Napoletana. Does yours have the SS or Brass boiler?
        According to the Nemox site. The Opera has a Brass boiler. http://www.nemox.com/Inglese/Caffe/opera/Opera.htm
        The Napoletana has the SS Boiler. http://www.nemox.com/Inglese/Caffe/Napoletana/napoletana.htm
        Does the smaller group set cause a problem? Less coffee?
        What is the grinder like?
        Regards
        Andrew

Comment

Mine has the brass boiler, but its a Quaha Napoletana (identical to Imat Napoletana and Imat Mokita Combi), not a Nemox. Its unfortunate Nemox chose the name Napoletana for their low-end machine as every other version of this machine I know of which is called a Napoletana is the higher-end machine. Perhaps its sneaky marketing!

Im not sure why theyd go to the bother of manufacturing a smaller group for this machine. The group size doesnt affect how much coffee it holds, its the basket size. Obviously basket diameter will be smaller for a smaller group diameter, but they may be deeper to compensate. I guess there must be some magic formula for making filter baskets which takes into account the water pressure, the amount of coffee in the basket, and how this is distributed depth x diameter. La Pavoni machines often have <52mm filter baskets so without being an expert there has to be more to the quality in the cup than the diameter of the basket. The main disadvantage I know of with smaller groups (and others may know more) is that you cant interchange commercial parts into them. In themselves I dont think theres a major problem.

The grinders fine, its just a Lux grinder in a different shell. Its really too noisy to hold a conversation over but what it produces is quite acceptable for me anyway. Burrs are replaceable. Has some nylon gears but theyre fine so long as you dont try to grind white rice in it to clean it on a fine setting. Have a read through the Information about Grinders thread in the grinders forum; people seem to rate them on par with the Sunbeam EM0480 grinder (which may be the one you already have).

Comment

Not sure but I think the napolitana has smaller 180ml boiler and 53mm portafilter- both possibly sourced from saeco via venezia.
            The dellOpera has 57mm pf and 300ml brass boiler- so quite a diff machine
            Brett

Comment

Could well be right Brett. I thought the only difference was the group but if the boilers different then thatll drop it down another peg. Definitely the Dell Opera would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by vast524 link=1163711106/0#3 date=1163717777
                Does the smaller group set cause a problem? Less coffee?
                Gday V5,

One thing Ive noticed after experimenting a bit, is that the finer the grind is for an equivalent weight of coffee in the basket of my ex-Mokita (57mm PF), is that the flavour seems more intense for an equal volume/25-30 second shot. Sometimes this is great with some varieties of coffee and other times a slightly coarser grind/higher dose with a resulting sweeter, more rounded flavoured shot seems to hit the spot. You just have to experiment a bit with dose quantities and grind setting until you produce shots with flavour profiles that you enjoy.... All else being equal of course ,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X