Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mazzer + Silvia / HX something, or Rancilio Lucy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer + Silvia / HX something, or Rancilio Lucy?

OK guys. Probably no secret my Napoletana is preparing to make way for a 58mm machine for my R&D. One thing I love about the Napoletana is the integrated grinder - one less bit of clutter on the bench, one less power point to find etc.

My interest in the Lucy has been aroused because it now seems Rancilio have brought out an updated version with the new Silvia, where I thought they were becoming obsolete. Compare the pics at http://www.siennacoffee.com.au/lucy.htm with those at http://www.rancilio.com/rancilio/prod_model.jsp?id_model=23&id_language=2&id_catego ry=11

Lucy appears much more like she should; more modern and nowhere near as much 90s with the gaudy orange buttons.

RRP at Sienna is $1399, but I could expect to spend around this sort of money for a new Silvia ($750) + Mazzer mini ($700). What do you reckon? I guess itll come down to doserless Rocky vs Mazzer, compared to integrated unit vs discrete units.

Welcome your thoughts.

Greg

Re: Mazzer + Silvia / HX something, or Rancilio Lu

Is that a roller button in front of the grinder hopper above the chute, meaning stepless adjustment? Im not sure if the Rocky has stepped or stepless adjustment though ...

Comment

Hi, Greg -

As an owner of both a DL Rocky and a Mazzer Mini E, I can tell you that they are not in the same class. The Mazzer produces a significantly better shot on my Silvia.

Not a criticism of Rocky at all, but Mazzer is in the next class up, IMHO (as it should be based on the relative prices).

-- JGG

Comment

MM-M: Not sure what it is but I reckon itd be too fiddly to be a roller. Whatever it is the old one had it too though.

JGG: Thanks, nothing like practical experience. Now if I could buy both and stuff the guts of the Mazzer into Lucys body...

Comment

Or get a Silvia, a Mazzer, and a roll of duct tape.

-- JGG

Comment

;D Not sure the style police will be tricked into thinking its S/S though!

Originally posted by MM-MochaMaster link=1163737834/0#1 date=1163738219
            Is that a roller button in front of the grinder hopper above the chute, meaning stepless adjustment? Im not sure if the Rocky has stepped or stepless adjustment though ...

According to http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/rancilio_lucy/JSGill:
            "Newer models Lucy’s have an adjustable timer for the grinder that allows the user to setup easily repeatable timed grinds"

So maybe its related to that? That theres something different about the grinder supported by the one-line description on Rancilios site:
            "Miss Lucy with built-in dosing-grinder"

when it obviously doesnt have a doser.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1163737834/0#0 date=1163737833
              OK guys. Probably no secret my Napoletana is preparing to make way for a 58mm machine for my R&D. One thing I love about the Napoletana is the integrated grinder - one less bit of clutter on the bench, one less power point to find etc.
              Greg,

My 2c worth......

Whilst I agree combined appliances have advantages - reduced clutter which gives them a higher WAF (wife approval factor) - I personally avoid them.

From many years experience with my such devices - and fixing family and friends failed similar devices..... if one bit fails- the unit has failed. If that bit cant be fixed then the unit needs to have it added externally or the throw it away and buy a whole new one!

Relating that to coffee machine / grinder combos. We all suffer from upgradeitis.... The most likely bit you will want to upgrade with this combo is the grinder..... you cant sell that bit off to upgrade. I also think that separate units will hold their value better - because of the flexability of selling each component to a target market for that item rather than finding someone who wants a fixed package (e.g. love to buy the silvia but want to use a mazzer grinder!)

And - god forbid - a bit breaks beyond repair all you need is to replace that bit...... and imagine the difficulty in selling a combo (grinder non functional) with an external grinder (dont think you would get many takers).

Whether you go down the Silvia path, some other single boiler machine or a HX.... if I were choosing Id negotiate on the WAF and get separate units ;D

Comment

So if you bought the Lucy, there might be a bit work work than a Napoletana in replacing the vanilla tamper huh ?!

Comment

Must say I like the look of the Lucy and Ive had no problems integrated thus far, but thats pretty sound logic JB. Guess Ive never seriously looked at it that way because mines never broken. If it had Id probably agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

I also forgot another important aspect...

Roasted beans should be kept in a COOL, dry, dark place to retain their flavour as long as possible....

My grinder is well away from my coffee machine, combos put them in close proximity with easy heat conducting paths between....

You could always put just enough beans in the hopper for each grind to overcome this problem...... but I prefer to leave beans in my hopper and grind on demand rather than adding to the hopper each time

(or you could just ignore possible degredation in flavour due to heat) :-/

Comment

JavaB gives excellent reasons for going with seperate units and I agree wholeheartedly.

Yet another thing to consider in the all-in-one units is that unless the grinder side is extremely well insulated from the brewing side the grinder and any beans in the hopper are heated. Even if you only put in enough beans for immediate grinding the burrs are starting off above ambient which can detract from the flavor of the coffee.

Java "Preferes seperate" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Ive gotten around this prob in my present combo just that way. The hoppers always empty and I just put in enough beans for the brew Im making. Rest of the time theyre in the fridge.

Or I could throw caution to the wind and get the Lucy just cos I like it...

<bashes head against wall>"Wake up Greg, youre an engineer not an artist!</bash>

Comment

Javaphile...

Great minds think alike!

Java "do two Javas make a pile" B

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1163737834/0#11 date=1163742901
                            Ive gotten around this prob in my present combo just that way. The hoppers always empty and I just put in enough beans for the brew Im making. Rest of the time theyre in the fridge.
                            In the fridge?!?!?!

/me falls over in shock and amazement

Java "Please tell me it isnt so!!" phile
                            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Greg....

WARNING WARNING ..... Coffee police on their way!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X