Silvia portafilter - correct angle when locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia portafilter - correct angle when locked

With no basket, my Silvia portafilter moves from about 8 oclock at the entry position to about 6:30. With baskets it doesnt go much past 7:45 with minimal force, and you can force it to about 7:15. Is this normal? Im used to the lock angle on my Napoletana being about 6:00 - 5:30. I havent tried removing the group gasket but theres apparently a shim between the gasket and the group; can this be removed to get a better lock angle?

Re: Silvia portafilter - correct angle when locked

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1165011342/0#0 date=1165011342
    With no basket, my Silvia portafilter moves from about 8 oclock at the entry position to about 6:30. With baskets it doesnt go much past 7:45 with minimal force, and you can force it to about 7:15. Is this normal? Im used to the lock angle on my Napoletana being about 6:00 - 5:30. I havent tried removing the group gasket but theres apparently a shim between the gasket and the group; can this be removed to get a better lock angle?
    Greg- its time for a new gasket. You should be able to get the spouts of the PF facing east-west...(Id replace the shower screen and give everything a good cleanup including a de-scale at the same time....). Id suggest that you do the screen and gasket yearly. Also- NEVER use unfiltered Adelaide or Perth water near any machine....it literally kills em. The same goes for reverse osmosis water often seen in WA...its also fatal to machines....

Chris

Comment

Since the subject of water was mentioned, if you live in Wagga, do not use local tap water unfiltered, its chock full of calcium. Besides the fact the water tastes foul, the calcium will cake the inside of your machine. I took Miss Silvia with me for a week trip and the gunk that came out after the return home descale was eye popping....

All good now, ready for the trip to Strathford over Xmas, then a final clean before she goes on the market..

Boris

Comment

Thanks Chris. It came with a sienna coffee gasket, shim and showerscreen kit so Ill throw that in there and do a descale at the same time. Interesting though, normally Ive found when the gasket needs replacing it collapses and the pf turns further than normal, not less. Do these gaskets go hard or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1165011342/0#0 date=1165011342
          Hi Greg- when I replaced the gaskets on the bezzera there was a choice of two thicknesses and you could also get a fibre spacer- I guess like your shim. I got the thicker 8.5mm as against the 8.1mm and in retrospect should have got the thinner one- the handle is tight even to go in the group and then only tightens to about 7-7:30 which isnt a lot of play.
          May not be pertinant to your situation, but there you go
          Brett

Comment

Around the 7 oclock mark looks pretty much where my stock-standard Silvia/portafilter/basket always locks at. Excessive force is definitely unnecessary for a good seal.

-Robusto

Comment

I just dont seem to be able to get good extraction times. In order for the portafilter to lock on properly I have to have less coffee in the baskets than what I feel I should and then it pours out like a flood. But I weighed the beans and it was 14g just now, so maybe I need to grind finer. Im using the same settings which have always worked fine on my Napoletana; maybe the Napoletanas just a better machine and doesnt need as fine a grind?

Im starting to wonder if I should have kept the Napoletana... I cant fit large cups under the Silvia, the steam knob squeaks and isnt consistent...

Comment

Greg,

Miss Silvia .... like all ladies.... has been well known to be fussy. She needs a fine grind and that is why some grinders which are OK for other machines havent been good enough for her.

I read here recently that this has been fixed with the new model. As I recall it was do do with the brew pressure being somewhat higher and the new models have an OPV which fixes the problem....

So as yours is a couple of years old (I seem to remember)- then it probably has higher pressure = needs finer grinds.

And a good tamper ;D ;D ;D

I cant fit large cups under the Silvia,
                Nope - I cant on the La Cimbali either - had to ditch quite a few which fitted easily under the Solis PF (had a reversable drip tray - could take espresso glasses close to the PF or you could reverse it and take mugs - wonderful idea which I miss )

Comment

The steam inconsistancy is probably due to scale debris and maybe a worn washer. Once youve descaled and cleaned it and replaced the washer I would think youd see an improvement.

Java "Just say no to scale!" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hmm. I feel in some ways like doing a big dummy spit and keeping the Napoletana... but I cant cos its sold Looks like Im stuck with Silvia for now.

But on the upside, at least its highly unlikely Im going to hit any problems that have never been encountered before, and there should JUST be enough Silvia owners on here to help me while the training wheels are on :

Comment

Greg,

I have found Silvia to be VERY sensitive to the amount of coffee in the filter basket. Underdose and it will pour very fast. Overdopse and you can get a very tight pour. I find that with the original Rancillo double basket, it has to be packed so that when the PF installs it is a little tight. i.e doesnt require a wrenching force, but more than an empty PF.

I have found the LM double to be a good move as it seems to updose the Silvia the right amount.

Keep at it

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G link=1165011342/0#10 date=1165034227
                        I have found the LM double to be a good move as it seems to updose the Silvia the right amount.
                        Ill second the LM endorsement. I have seen an improvement, too, as compared to the stock Rancilio double basket. Before the stream goes blond, I now get 60 ml of very nice espresso from 16-17 grams of coffee.

Jim

Comment

And if your cups dont fit under the portafiller, Greg, just take the grill off the drip tray and sit them in it. If its clean then your cup wont get a dirty bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1165011342/0#12 date=1165037165
                            And if your cups dont fit under the portafiller, Greg, just take the grill off the drip tray and sit them in it. If its clean then your cup wont get a dirty bottom!
                            Greg I had a problem with latte glasses under the botticelli (bigger silvia) so I sourced some very short spouts.
                            Also look at my PM
                            Brett

Comment

Hi Greg,

[pasted from my post on another thread] "Re portafilter locking position: this can vary according to the thickness of the group gasket. My machine came with quite a thick gasket and the portafilter was totally locked in tight-as-can-be at the 7.30 oclock position, even with an empty basket! The gasket was replaced (presumably with one of the correct thickness) when I got Silvia serviced and now it locks in at about 5 oclock, which seems to be the norm."

I echo what Matt said about Silvia having a very small dosing error margin. Its just a learning curve, but a relatively quick one if you keep other variables constant.

Probably the other issue is that your hands and eyes are used to dosing for another machine (and for a 5.30 - 6 oclock lock-in).

My Silvia (once I learnt the optimum dosing) produced wonderful shots locking in at 7.30 (best with slightly larger baskets than the standard supplied). After I got the gasket replaced with the thinner one, my dosing technique no longer worked and I had to adjust to a different dose because of course the basket was now closer to the dispersion screen than it was with the thicker gasket. Another machine may be more forgiving, but Silvia demands precision in order to deliver perfection.

Dont lose heart. We (Silvia owners) have all been there.

PS: I changed to the thinner gasket because the angle of the spouts were not the best for pouring two shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X