Siezed showerscreen screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siezed showerscreen screw

My poor maintenance regime has me in trouble. I have a siezed showerscreen screw. So far I have tried to get it undone cold, with the machine at temp, used some WD40, and then again following two rounds of backflushing with that espresso clean stuff. It wont budge. Any other ideas?

Tim

Re: Siezed showerscreen screw

Hi- see thread below- sorry not sure how to hyperlink it- its in brewing also:

Anyone found spare parts for Imat Napoletana II?

All the best
    Brett

Comment

Pesky things, those showerscreen bolts. Is it a round-head or hex-head? A socket will work easily and very well with the hex bolts.

Round heads are a problem.

Try tapping it firmly but lightly once or twice, vertically, with a small hammer. Not such force that its going to distort or break anything -- just enough to break the lock of the threads. Use extreme caution here.

Through trial and error, Ive learned to use finger-force only on Silvias shower-screen bolt. Even then, it occasionally needs the persuasive power of a socket.

Robusto

Comment

Gday TimO,
        if you used WD40 and then used the backflush detergent, most of the WD40 would have been flushed out and the penetrating power of the oil would have been lost. Try sitting the machine upside down, after removing all power and water supplies, and then give the screw a good squirt with the WD. Let it sit for at least 15 mins and then check to see if the oil has penetrated, if so, give it another spray and let it sit a bit more. Then give the screw another try. If its a bolt and not a screw, then use a spanner or socket as Robusto said, youll be able to get more force onto it than with a screw driver. If this doesnt work, then its off to plan B.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Tim,

if you dont get it to budge after following the above please give me a ring and Ill tell you what to do. Its a lot quicker to tell you, than trying to type out a lengthy procedure. My method will involve you needing to fit a new shower screen as it will destroy the existing, but should get the screw undone and shower off in a matter of seconds. The screw will be re-usable as long as the head hasnt been butchered in the meantime.

By the way, there are a lot of misconceptions out there about the "need" to pull things apart to clean. If it is an "electric group" & you have been backflushing using group head detergent and the blind filter, there wont be anything to clean behind the shower and it will be clean as a whistle, so its up to you whether you go ahead. You could just leave it alone.

Simply note that the shower securing screw only needs to be done up firmly but not tightly.

Regardz,
          FC.

Comment

My old Gaggia Espresso Deluxe ALWAYS did this.. I had it in the shop twice getting the stupid thing off.... so frustrating... I think this is because the Screw is screwing into a different metal type (Stainless>Alumuminium)...

Comment

TimO, got it sorted yet? Check the thread telemaster linked to, Ive had to do this a few times and its always worked for me.

Comment

Thanks all. It is a round slotted screw so I think Ill give the centre punch method a go as I already have a spare screw, but not a replacement showerscreen. If that fails Ill order up a showerscreen from coffeeparts and give FC a ring when it arrives and Im keen for some destcruction.

What is an electric group? How do I know if I have one?

I have been backflushing (not as regularly as I should) using espresso clean - so maybe I should just leave it alone, and worry about it when it becomes really necessary to get it off?

BTW, before reading Mals advice I did give it a squirt of WD40 and have not been able to detect the taste - maybe reflecting the capabilities of my taste buds - but anyway no harm done in terms of my coffee drinking experience. Thanks again.

Comment

An "electric group" is a group that is governed (ie switched on and off) by an electrovalve or group solenoid valve.  The Oscar is an electric group machine, if that is the machine youre having the problem with.

You say you perhaps dont flush as regularly as "you should" but in domestic use the question is "how often should you"? I would say pick an arbitrary interval and stick to that. For example, say, once a month. There is a lot of silly stuff written around, about "having" to do "this, that & the other" operation almost every time you switch your machine on, but home use is not like cafe use and the build up of oils is minimal. A lot of people say they can taste "rancid oils" of they dont backfush with detergent often. I dont think so, but all this internet reading gives us heaps to do and keeps us away from the tv so it cant be all bad!

Honestly, if you are backflushing from time to time in home use with group head cleaner / detergent there will be nothing to see in there except a nice clean group and a very clear shower so I wouldnt  bother. The only time I would then remove the shower is when it starts to disintegrate and that is usually after a lot of use. In 9 times out of 10 cases this is when the outer ring or edge of the shower comes adrift. Youll see it starting to hang down away from the screen, and this may also happen in conjunction with the mesh screen also coming adrift from the edge.

Then you go through the process and fit a new one.

Hope this helps,
                  FC.
                  Hmmm. WD40 blend? ;D

Comment

In the worst case scenarios of neglecting the shower screen....It clogs badly with spent grounds. Enough to block water into the portafilter. You can of course prevent that by backflushing, and by simply flushing water through it after each extraction. Or, removing and cleaning.

Robusto

Comment

Manually removing and cleaning the shower only clears the shower and possibly the backing plate (depending on the machine).

It does not clear the channels inside the group or the group electrovalve. Therefore these can get blocked even if the shower is manually removed for clearing. Over a period, the channels get clogged and the group electovalve jams up.

So there really is no substitute for backflushing with blind & detergent, and this makes manual cleaning unnecessary.

Regardz,
                      FC.

Comment

An update. Today I took the replacement screw down to the local hardware and picked up a set of bits for an impact screw driver - these seemed best suited size wise to the slot. These combined with a socket to fit then other end of the bit, and I was in business - enough leverage/torque to get the screw undone.

Replaced the gasket, soaked the screen/dispersion plate in espresso clean, bit of a scrub, new screw and all back together. Machine performs like new - and as you can probably tell, Im quite pleased with myself. Not all that handy - so I was pleased I didnt destroy anything in the process - and pleased I didnt have to use the hammer.

Comment

Well done. Painless and non-intrusive surgery which allows the "patient" to go about ts business within minimal down time.

How did the shower screen look?

--Robusto

Comment

Ive had an "Oscar for about 6 months now. I clean dismantle the filter screen and diffusion assmbly behind it every week or so. There usually is a covering of coffee over these parts by then, and if I leave it much longer the coffee does get tainted. I never tighten the filter screen screw very tightly having learnt my lesson on a Gaggia many years ago. I find it curious that Simonelli say that only external cleaning of the dispensing screen is necessary, and never mention back flushing. In fact I seem to recall reading somewhere that Simonelli do not recommend this process, but I may be wrong.

I still have a Baby Gaggia, by the way, and have never understood why gaggia make it so difficult to remove the diffuser plate behind the filter screen. Its attached with two Allen headed bolts. Easy enough to get them out, but if you dont strike early in the machines life (like about a week) its almost impossible (sometimes completely impossible) to get the diffuser off, and it does get a build up of oil behind it. When I bought the New Baby about 3 years ago, I immediately took the diffuser off, and scraped the recessed edge with a sharp screwdriver to gain a little more clearance before re-assembling it. This, coupled with a full clean every 2 weeks has ensured I never had any further trouble. However I have 2 friends with Babys, and neither can get the diffuser plate out. Has anyone devised a way?

Sorry if I should have started another thread for this, but one does get carried away!

Allen

Comment

Working...
                            X