Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choice Espresso Machine Test

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Choice Espresso Machine Test

    Hi everyone,

    Choice (www.choice.com.au) has just published a test on single boiler espresso machines. The results are rather surprising to me.
    My Saeco Via Venezia came last but I know I can produce an excellent espresso with my non pressurised portafilter!

    Miss Silvia didnt do too well either; I wonder if the testing crew actually had some basic barista skills. It looks to me they just know how to press a button. Obviously they dontt know anything about keeping the water temparature stable. This I think is very crucial on any single boiler machine.

    The winning machine (MAGIMIX LExpresso Program Automatic 11233) I have never seen or heard of.

    Cheers

    Peter

  • #2
    Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

    It was done by "Choice".. say no more...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

      Originally posted by coffee_tragic link=1166398601/0#0 date=1166398600
      Hi everyone,

      Choice (www.choice.com.au) has just published a test on single boiler espresso machines. The results are rather surprising to me.
      My Saeco Via Venezia came last   but I know I can produce an excellent espresso with my non pressurised portafilter!

      Miss Silvia didnt do too well either; I wonder if the testing crew actually had some basic barista skills. It looks to me they just know how to press a button. Obviously they dontt know anything about keeping the water temparature stable. This I think is very crucial on any single boiler machine.

      The winning machine (MAGIMIX LExpresso Program Automatic 11233) I have never seen or heard of.

      Cheers

      Peter
      As if theyd know... : When it comes to evaluating espresso machines, that publication has more tools in residence than my toolshed. I really wonder why they bother making fools of themselves. They should stick to microwaves and washing machines.... ;D

      Comment


      • #4
        Choice

        Choice magazine have released a new review of espresso machines. The previous list was very heavily weighted towards machines of the brands sold in major chain stores. This years list is, in my opinion a move towards a more representative list of what is available.



        ASCASO Dream M.F
        BODUM 3020 Euro Granos
        BREVILLE 800ES
        DELONGHI Le Cube EN185.M + Aeroccino
        ECM Botticelli II
        KENWOOD ES630
        KRUPS XP 4050
        LA PAVONI Eurobar De Luxe V230
        MAGIMIX LExpresso Program Automatic 11233
        RANCILIO Miss Silvia
        SAECO Via Venezia Espresso
        SOLIS Crema SL 90
        STARBUCKS Barista
        SUNBEAM Café Latte EM5600
        VICE VERSA Koala


        Oddly - they used a breville Cafe Roma as a reference machine. . .

        The way Choice rated products seems ok and they did offer some good advice in the article - I reckon a few more testers may have been of benefit though!

        It is funny - the Miss Silvia got pinged on its inconsistent temp - I wonder how a PIDd Silvia would rate?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

          Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1166398601/0#2 date=1166399179
          As if theyd know... : When it comes to evaluating espresso machines, that publication has more tools in residence than my toolshed. I really wonder why they bother making fools of themselves. They should stick to microwaves and washing machines.... ;D
          ;D ;D
          They do at least provide a good service with the info on washing machines. I suppose the kind of person who would look to choice for a recommendation on an espresso machine at home would be someone who just wants to press a button and be done with it. As people look to move up the food chain there are fortunately forums like this to help, and the ever faithful site sponsors that can give informed opinions.
          Choice was helpful when we were searching for baby equipment for us as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Choice

            Still seems an odd assortment of machines to me.
            Price ranges from $300 to $995
            And price was not one of the rating criteria.
            I know they need to have an assortment, but its kind of like them doing a car comparison across classes.

            And if they are including the Silvia, surely they would have done well to compare it to the 6910. I mean... WE ALL ARE!!


            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

              Originally posted by Coffeechaser link=1166398601/0#3 date=1166402569
              Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1166398601/0#2 date=1166399179
              As if theyd know... : When it comes to evaluating espresso machines, that publication has more tools in residence than my toolshed. I really wonder why they bother making fools of themselves. They should stick to microwaves and washing machines.... ;D
              ;D ;D
              They do at least provide a good service with the info on washing machines. I suppose the kind of person who would look to choice for a recommendation on an espresso machine at home would be someone who just wants to press a button and be done with it. As people look to move up the food chain there are fortunately forums like this to help, and the ever faithful site sponsors that can give informed opinions.
              Choice was helpful when we were searching for baby equipment for us as well.
              I can only imagine what "washing machine snobs" think of the Choice Washing Machine reviews. ;D

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                I havent seen the latest test.... but based on the earlier Coffee Machine tests- I wouldnt bother reading it!

                Some "really friendly" -read simple no brainer - equipment and items they do really well at evaluating...... other equipment - its more like a comic satire that a real test!

                And the results are about as useful ;D ;D ;D

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                  You have more imagination than me if you can imaginge washing machine snobs, at all, or baby bouncing snobs for that matter.

                  Best,

                  tmid

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                    Originally posted by MM-MochaMaster link=1166398601/0#4 date=1166404108
                    I can only imagine what "washing machine snobs" think of the Choice Washing Machine reviews.
                    They probably try to convert coffee roasters into washing machines and PID them so they have better control over the water temp.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                      Yes it always lacks something - THey had a better list of machines this time but I dont think they nailed the testing. They need more testers, a wider range of machines to test, and greater controls - i.e. find some really great coffee to work with as a first step.

                      Come consumer goods are subject to a greater range of variables and I think that Coffee Machines are among these - very finicky. Id like to see a line-up of machines with about a dozen snobs working their way down the line then trying each one and rating it. One thing though is Id let them play with the grind for each machine to make sure they get it right for that machine.

                      It is a bit unfair if they did one grind setting and used that for each machine.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                        Originally posted by steve link=1166398601/0#7 date=1166404444
                        They probably try to convert coffee roasters into washing machines and PID them so they have better control over the water temp.
                        Now I wonder how I could convert a Bread Machine into a washing machine?

                        Where do I fit the PID?

                        ;D ;D ;D ;D

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                          Originally posted by grendel link=1166398601/0#8 date=1166404579
                          Yes it always lacks something - THey had a better list of machines this time but I dont think they nailed the testing. They need more testers, a wider range of machines to test, and greater controls - i.e. find some really great coffee to work with as a first step.

                          Come consumer goods are subject to a greater range of variables and I think that Coffee Machines are among these - very finicky. Id like to see a line-up of machines with about a dozen snobs working their way down the line then trying each one and rating it. One thing though is Id let them play with the grind for each machine to make sure they get it right for that machine.

                          It is a bit unfair if they did one grind setting and used that for each machine.
                          What is this grinding you speak of? Dont you just go to the shops and buy it in brick form?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                            Originally posted by JavaB link=1166398601/0#9 date=1166404880
                            Originally posted by steve link=1166398601/0#7 date=1166404444
                            They probably try to convert coffee roasters into washing machines and PID them so they have better control over the water temp.
                            Now I wonder how I could convert a Bread Machine into a washing machine?

                            Where do I fit the PID?

                            ;D ;D ;D ;D
                            Where have you been??? Ive been baking bread in my washing machine for years.... : ;D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Choice Espresso Machine Test

                              Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1166398601/0#11 date=1166407071
                              Originally posted by JavaB link=1166398601/0#9 date=1166404880
                              Originally posted by steve link=1166398601/0#7 date=1166404444
                              They probably try to convert coffee roasters into washing machines and PID them so they have better control over the water temp.
                              Now I wonder how I could convert a Bread Machine into a washing machine?

                              Where do I fit the PID?

                              ;D ;D ;D ;D
                              Where have you been??? Ive been baking bread in my washing machine for years.... : ;D
                              Now repeat after me in your best Tim Allen Home Improvement voice - "BATCH SIZE - ugh ugh ugh"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X