Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy my first manual coffee machine-HELP

Hi

I am looking at the Gaggia Classic, so I am hoping for something in that price range.

We have also been told to look at Saeco.

Could I have some feedback on those and other coffee machines please?

I am really confused as to what machine is the best in that price range (around $600)

Thanks!

Re: Looking to buy my first manual coffee machine-

I have a classic and it is a great machine for your budget - also, try getting the MDF grinder (around $300) to pair with it.
    The one real disadvantage of the classic is that the steam enhancer on the wand is crap - but - if you remove the large plastic nozzle you will get great microfoam everytime.

There is a preloved gaggia for sale here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1166063894

If you cannot afford a good burr grinder for awhile, get a turkish hand grinder at about $60 - $80.

Please please please be aware that saeco fully automatic machines are not that great, and you will not get very good coffee from them. I do not know of other saeco models, though there seem to be a lot on evil bay which tends to show peoples discontent with them.

What state are you in? Maybe one of the site sponsors can help you. PM me with any other questions if you like.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

We are definitely aware of the yuck of automatic machines

But will have a look at your advice

Comment

Why not a good 2nd hand Silvia? Some for sale here at the moment.....It will overcome most of the gaggia irritations

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by NeedCoffeeeee..... link=1168312617/0#0 date=1168312617
          Hi

I am looking at the Gaggia Classic, so I am hoping for something in that price range.

We have also been told to look at Saeco.
          Hi NeedCoffeeeee and welcome to CoffeeSnobs....

The Classic isnt too bad, not quite in the same league as Ms Silvia but can make a great coffee.

I dont like any of the Saeco range.... IMHO they arent as good as the Gaggia if you are after a great coffee (and, as has been said - stay well away from the fully autos!

The most important thing to ensure a great journey into coffee (other than skill which can be acquired) is to have a good grinder. Preground coffee is stale 3 minutes after its ground- and vacuum packing doesnt help....

Aim for a stepless grinder (or at least one with very small steps) and make sure it is capable of comfortably grinding for espresso - the ones which just make it on the finest setting wont grind very well - and not for long either.

As Ive said to others on a limited budget- if you cant afford both, get a good grinder and use freshly roasted and ground beans with a plunger until you can afford the machine.

Coffee from a plunger with freshly ground beans tastes really superb!

Good luck on your journey.

Comment

Why not consider the Sunbeam EM6910 which is getting excellent reviews on this site.

Comment

Seriously take a look at the EM6910.

I had read some good reviews for this machine but had no intention of buying it. It is of course a Sunbeam. However, during the sales, I was looking through the coffee machines (as I always do) and it was going for $529. I thought at that price I could buy it for the office. So I took it home for a test drive and thats where its going to stay. A great machine for $529 bucks. Has far exceeded my expectations.

Comment

I agree Ozscott!!

Comment

I was advised to buy an italian made machine. That is why I have stayed away from the Sunbeam. And I can get the gaggia classic for $515.

Comment

I was also advised on the Nemox machine, Has anyone heard of this one? Goes for about $599

Comment

Originally posted by NeedCoffeeeee..... link=1168312617/0#9 date=1168342534
                      I was also advised on the Nemox machine, Has anyone heard of this one? Goes for about $599
                      Have you read this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167982378

The Nemox is under a bit of a cloud at the moment regarding Australian importer / service agent....

What ever machine you decide on make sure there is good support available from the supplier.... unfortunately you can end up with a problem with your new machine.... and no one to fix it!!

That is why I, and many other members here, will recommend dealing with a site sponsor - not only to support those who make this site possible but because they are committed to support the products they sell - and have proved that they do!

Dont buy anything from Evilbay, think very carefully about buying from a retail discount store as well.... the discount comes from lack of service.....

So unless you are prepared to deal direct with the manufacturer- and you know they support the product well.... you could end up with a machine you cant use buried in the back of the cupboard! (But you saved a few dollars on the purchase price )

Comment

The gaggia I can get for $515 is from an actual coffee place that sells coffee and equipment. Like a lot of the sponsors on this site.

I spoke to one sponsor from here today and was told to just buy my coffee from a shop unless I was willing to spend around $2000.

That was disappointing!

Comment

Originally posted by NeedCoffeeeee..... link=1168312617/0#11 date=1168344007
                          I spoke to one sponsor from here today and was told to just buy my coffee from a shop unless I was willing to spend around $2000.

That was disappointing!
                          That is a bit over the top.... several site sponsors sell Ms Silvia and the Iberital Challenge grinder and that will be a lot less than $2000..

Id send a PM to some other sponsors and see what they can do for you.... You will need a grinder as well otherwise you wont get anyway near the best out of your machine - no matter what machine you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedCoffeeeee..... link=1168312617/0#11 date=1168344007
                            The gaggia I can get for $515 is from an actual coffee place that sells coffee and equipment.  Like a lot of the sponsors on this site.

That was disappointing!
                            Well, it may seem a lot, but as strange as it might sound now, that advice could save you quite a bit in the future.

Most of us obsessed folk here fall prey to bouts of a disease known as upgraditis.
                            Myself, I have been through everything from a plastic Braun machine to my current machine, Expobar Minore II. And 5 grinders of graduating quality along the way.

Sure, spending that much might not be for you, but believe me, the sponsor you spoke to does have a point.

In the end though, if you feel more comfortable going with the Gaggia, thats your choice. Do you have (or have you budgeted for) a decent grinder to go along with it?

Brett.

Comment

Thanks that would b great. I am not a barista or ever made coffee the real way before so we thought we had settled on a reasonable price for the actual machine just for us to get started, we thought that spending really cheap was not a good idea but I was floored when I was told it would be pointless to spend so cheap on the machine ($600 ish)

It is just my hubby and I and we rarely entertain that is why we thought the classic was probably the best for our needs and if we happen to have someone over they can wait and extra 40 secs for the milk put into their coffee. LOL

We also heard that the classic heats better than the saeco via vel---- (?)
                              But then that was contradicted by someone else.

is that tre?

Comment

Working...
                              X