backflushing chemicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backflushing chemicals

I have been told on a number of occasions to be very careful of backflushing chemicals as they are extremely poisonous. I then wonder why are we putting these chemicals into machines that we drink out of? Is there something that I am missing here? Are there some backflushing chemicals that are safer? I would be interested in peoples opinions.

coffeeNcake

Re: backflushing chemicals

Hi again....

Backflushing chemicals are not as bad as Dishwasher detergent..... and you drink out of glasses which have been in a dishwasher.....

You would not of course drink the stuff.... but as long as you rinse after use (and season the machine with a dose of coffee which you then discard) there are no problems - all cafes use the stuff at least once a day- at home I use it once a week.

And they are certified food safe for their intended use (NSF Protocol P152)

Comment

I just use coarse salt to backflush my machine, combined with an annual service, and I havent had any problems!

P

Comment

Coffee cleaner, no matter how potent, dissolves in water.

The recommended rinse "cycle" is even more extensive than the cleaning aspect, to wash away any residue.

What should then be left if nstructions are followed, is a clean machine ready for food-grade use....

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1170472050/0#2 date=1170516001
          I just use coarse salt to backflush my machine, combined with an annual service, and I havent had any problems!

P
          Hmm...thinking back to Chem 101, does salt remove oils? Seems to me if good backwash powders are certified by the OFA to be used in organic systems, they couldnt be too nasty; theyre not expensive so why not use a product designed for the job?? I was under the impression that theyre mainly Sodium Perborate and some detergent :-/ at any rate....

Comment

Chemicals is more the easier way to clean machines. Poison.... Well anything that has chemicals you have to make sure you clean it well after all the dirt and oils are out. I dont think there is a better way to clean the machine. Salt to clean the machine... i dont think it would remove the oil and stains as well. If it does im sure it would take a lot longer to clean. By all means use a tooth brush and clean for 2 hours or just use the chemicals and wash for 5 to 10 minutes. Its really up too you.

You could clean your head with coke if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyL link=1170472050/0#5 date=1170567440
              You could clean your head with coke if you wanted.
              Hmmmmm.... You first!! :P ;D

Comment

This may not be the right forum for this question, but around these lines of cleaning is what I want to go into.

I have a Sunbeam Cafe Series 6900, and have put cleaner through it, added to the water resevoir and sent through the machine.

Backflushing, what and how is that done, and should it be done to my model?

Is backflushing a better way of cleaning out a machine?

If someone could answer these questions for my it would be appreciated :-/

Comment

smoky,

Backflushing is totally separate to the cleaning (descaling) which you have done.

When you back flush you put a special detergent in the group (with the Sunbeam I think you get a black rubber disk which you put in the basket first - makes the filter into a "blind filter")...

You then proceed as you would to extract coffee (but with the special detergent in the basket)... after a short time (the length should be in the manual) you stop the machine- nothing will come out of the spout. There is a device called a "three way valve" which lets the pressure escape from the PF at the end of extraction.... this gets clogged with coffee oils....

You run the extract cycle a few times... each time it stops the detergent is released via the three way valve and cleans it (and the group assembly as well)

After several cycles, you remove the PF, wash out the remaining detergent, replace and repeat the process - this time with fresh water- several times.

Then remove the PF, remove the black disk, replace the PF and run some water through to remove any detergent....

You then make a normal shot of coffee - to season the machine after cleaning - and tip it down the drain (will taste off)...

Then all is back to normal.

So you need to descale (what you have done) and backflush as well. Both serve different purposes - and both are important for long and trouble free machine life.

Comment

Many thanks for that information, appreciate the feedback. Will now have to find a place around this dump of a town for the special detergent you describe, or look online as I have done for anything to do with my growing lifestyle "COFFEE", ahhhhh, nice stuff ;D

Comment

smoky,

I get mine from CoffeeParts.... not sure if it is compatible with Sunbeam (you could give Pedro a ring)..... but I think Sunbeam have their own (probably the same stuff - with a Sunbeam label!!!)

Comment

Now armed with good info, thanks JavaB.

Comment

I use the Sunbeam tablet in my Em6910... very effective! About every 2-3 months... in between I blackflush with water after "EVERY" coffee machine session....

Comment

Originally posted by smoky link=1170472050/0#7 date=1171459286
                            Backflushing, what and how is that done, and should it be done to my model?
                            Heya, the 6900 has a preset backflushing routine built in. Its covered in the manual - you dont have to do it all manually. The manual is just a bit short on details! We found that hte instructions werent exactly right and assumed you already knew what to expect.

When we did it, a lot of water/solution came out the overflow valve outlet and the instructions didnt warn us about that!

Comment

Hmm, interesting, suppose I better read a bit more of the manual.

But one thing, in preparation for the $7 a piece tablets when they come, I did a plain water backflush using this grey rubber disk found inside the back door, placed in the PF and proceeded, but nothing came out the overflow, but came out the PF. Tried it with and without the basket in, so what is going on there....if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

Sunbeam 6900!

Comment

Working...
                              X