Best entry level set-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best entry level set-up?

Ive been doing some research into a good entry level machine/grinder to make my own coffees, since I have a Choice subscription I started there, they listed these as their top three;
    MAGIMIX L’Expresso Program Automatic 11233
    SUNBEAM Café Latte EM5600
    DELONGHI Le Cube EN185.M+ Aeroccino

After doing some more surfing I came across this place via a thread basically bagging Choices choices for various reasons...  Ive had a surf through this forum and havent noticed a beginners start here so I thought Id ask the question; what do you guys recommend as a good entry level machine...

Re: Best entry level set-up?

Depends on what is your price range and how much are you willing to spend on a decent grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by TeZZaP link=1171346092/0#0 date=1171346092
      Ive been doing some research into a good entry level machine/grinder to make my own coffees, since I have a Choice subscription I started there, they listed these as their top three;
      MAGIMIX L’Expresso Program Automatic 11233
      SUNBEAM Café Latte EM5600
      DELONGHI Le Cube EN185.M+ Aeroccino

After doing some more surfing I came across this place via a thread basically bagging Choices choices for various reasons...  Ive had a surf through this forum and havent noticed a beginners start here so I thought Id ask the question; what do you guys recommend as a good entry level machine...

Hi Tezza and welcome to CS.

You are correct when it comes to choice and coffee machines...they dont know too much! ;D

It will be of great assistance to use in guiding you if you could provide a budget.... Be sure also to factor in a good grinder- you will be wasting your time if you use stale, pre-ground coffee.

regards

2mcm

Comment

TeZZaP

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs...

Of the three you listed, I cant find much out about the first machine (which is a bit of a worry).... the second is a machine with pressurised baskets and the third is a Nespresso machine...

Pressurised baskets let you make poor quality coffee with fake crema really easily and consistently.... Nespresso allow you to make the same poor quality consistent coffee even easier (but will cost you a LOT more for the capsules compared to normal coffee....)

Neither system will allow you to make really good- let alone great- coffee.

The Magimix, as commented above, is a bit of an unknown - but based on the second and third placed choices..... Id find it hard to believe it is all that good.

As has been said above, some details of the price you are willing to pay - especially for a decent grinder, and Im sure site sponsors and the rest of us will come up with some good ideas for you.

But please dont settle for a mediocre machine..... good coffee is worth the extra expense...

Enjoy the journey.

Comment

Welcome TeZZaP.

As an example of Choicess choices, the EM5600 is a little outdated now from what I know.
          There are better Sunbeams out there now.

But as already stated, budget is a big factor in answering your question.
          A good quality grinder for your fresh beans is probably a priority before a machine.
          The best machine in the world is almost (if not) useless without one.

And the sponsors here will help you greatly with information to make your choice, and after sales service.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

I was hoping to keep the cost below 1k for grinder and machine. What do you guys think of combined machines (grinder/machine in one), only they seemed to me to be a good starting point; I assume, without doing any specific research, that they would grind the correct amount and to a suitable grind for the machine they are attached too... or am I being too optimistic?

Comment

Tezzap, have a read through this thread first:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163234999

as it may give you some idea of what you can get for your money.

Matt

Comment

TeZZaP

You will be able to get a machine within your price range.

Combined machines have a couple of problems -
                -- ideally beans should be kept in a cool, dark, dry place.... having the grinder in the same case as the machine will heat the beans and reduce their life
                -- If you want to upgrade some time in the future (most of us do) then you have to sell it as a unit rather than keeping your grinder and just upgrading your machine
                -- If either breaks beyond the point of repair, the whole unit is worthless (well you could buy a separate replacement unit for the half that has failed - but it is unlikely you would be able to sell it easily when you get "upgradeitis"

The grinders in these machines are adjustable - just like separate units - you still have to adjust the grind in the same way..... and the amount they grind is also adjustable - again just like a separate grinder.... the only real difference is the bench space they occupy - less than separate units (and they are generally a bit cheaper to buy).... but not as flexible when you want to upgrade.

To get a machine which provides the correct amount of grind (and it also tamps the grinds) you need to go to a super automatic - which I wouldnt do - but if that is your preference the only one Id consider would be the Jura (at about 2.5 times your budget).... the build quality and coffee quality from the cheaper ones just isnt worth thinking about!

Comment

Originally posted by TeZZaP link=1171346092/0#5 date=1171405533
                  Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.  

I was hoping to keep the cost below 1k for grinder and machine.  What do you guys think of combined machines (grinder/machine in one), only they seemed to me to be a good starting point; I assume, without doing any specific research, that they would grind the correct amount and to a suitable grind for the machine they are attached too...  or am I being too optimistic?
                  I am not overly keen on machine and grinder combos. The issue is that if one goes, they both do. In addition coffee beans were never meant to be stored near hot boilers. If you add only the quantity of beans required, you get popcorning and inconsistency in grind, as you dont have a mass of beans to work things through the grinder.

In addition, some combo machines are packaged with pretty dodgy grinders....

All in all, Id say give it a miss if you have the real estate for seperate units...

2mcm

Comment

Thanks for your quick responses, Ill have a read through the linked thread, and I think the comments about the built-in grinder are sensible... thanks

Comment

TeZZaP,

If you post details of the state you live in, there will be a site sponsor in your state (well except for here in Perth, and Adelaide)....

They can show you the various machines/grinders and demonstrate their use .... they even do training so you will find it much easier to get great results.... but if in Adelaide or Perth -- its mail order (and a demonstration and training is a little tricky!).....

You will find if you do purchase a machine from a site sponsor you will be dealing with someone with a real passion for coffee..... and superb on-going support. You wont get either from a normal retail outlet.

Comment

Ive never noticed a decent coffee machine place in Cairns...  Harvey Norman perhaps  

Comment

Personally Id look to the grinder first and make sure I got the best one I could. I had to make-do with inferior grinders for quite a while and I can confirm that a good grinder makes a substantial difference to the quality of your coffee.

I know a super-auto has some attractions - ease of use, but I dont think you can learn much from them either - and thus you would always be a beginner. A good, but basic machine is fairly straightforward to use, but you can play with the variables easily to work towards improving your coffee.

My own machine is quite old and looks as disreputable as its owner. It is very basic but capable of doing amazing shots of coffee if you get it right.

Id recommend a starting budget of at least $1000 to buy the basics but with that amount you can buy the gear to make a very acceptable standard of coffee.

Id also enrole in a home barista course though - In one good session you can learn what it has taken me years to figure out through trial and a lot of error (then I found coffeesnobs. . .)

Comment

The Rancilio Silvia looks good to me, everyone seems to rate it highly, and it should grow with me as I improve my skill level. And yes, if I can track down a local home barista course Ill enroll. Next, or maybe first, the grinder...

Comment

If I were you, with your budget and the knowledge Ive acquired over the last 6 months I would get a Rancilio Silvia and and Iberital Challenge grinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X