Steaming time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steaming time

I know that the EM6910 with the steam cranked up via the programable keys gets going compared to the EM6900 that I had, but I thought I would time it...too much time on a Saturday.

Ok, heated machine up for 5 mins then purged the steam wand for 45seconds or so. Pulled my single shot and then measured 155mls of ice cold Trim that had been in the freezer and used an cold stainless jug that would hold about 500mls. I then steamed and used the stop watch as a timer and textured to the point where I couldnt keep my hand of the jug bottom (same I do every time and its nice and hot in the cup). Exactly 30 seconds from go to whoa.

Nice texture - velvety smooth.

Ok - so its not the same as a commercial with a big boiler, but for what it is, I reckon thats pretty good. She faster than my old Sunbeam Ristreto boiler but I dont know how it compares to other home machines.

Cheers all.

Re: Steaming time

Nothing wrong with that Scott! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

Cheers Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1173493957/0#0 date=1173493957
        I know that the EM6910 with the steam cranked up via the programable keys gets going compared to the EM6900 that I had, but I thought I would time it...too much time on a Saturday.

Ok, heated machine up for 5 mins then purged the steam wand for 45seconds or so.  Pulled my single shot and then measured 155mls of ice cold Trim that had been in the freezer and used an cold stainless jug that would hold about 500mls.  I then steamed and used the stop watch as a timer and textured to the point where I couldnt keep my hand of the jug bottom (same I do every time and its nice and hot in the cup).  Exactly 30 seconds from go to whoa.

Nice texture - velvety smooth.

Ok - so its not the same as a commercial with a big boiler, but for what it is, I reckon thats pretty good.  She faster than my old Sunbeam Ristreto boiler but I dont know how it compares to other home machines.

Cheers all.
        Not sure what your purpose was but thought id give it a try.
        Machine cold- 2 min 45 sec to get to 135C.
        Purged steam till 3 min (15 sec purge but 10 would have been more than enough).
        Steamed when purging was done and had reached 145C so boiler wouldnt turn off.
        It took 40 sec to get the milk to 65C with the small conical 2 hole tip from coffee parts- the original would have done it in half the time and could have been further sped up with the 3 o4 hole bezzera tips I have, but not so fine foam in a small jug.

Is there a purpose to this- or just curiosity?
        Is the group head hot in 5 min, or was this just a test for the steaming? My group head takes probably 30-40 mins to get very hot unless I use the Cheating Miss Silvia method, so I definitely wouldnt be making coffee after a 3 min warm up.
        Unless it was for a bet and the quality didnt matter!
        Brett

Comment

Hi Brett. Yep she is pulling a nice shot in 5 mins heat up. I know that some people dont like thermos, but thats an advantage - ie quick heat up. She was tiger striping the single after 5 mins warm up. The purpose really just rose from being curious about the steaming ability, particuarly given that when programmed up to a good setting the steam ability is so much better than the older machine - ie the EM6900. Also, I think that people with the 6910 could benefit reading this in terms of upping their steam thermoblock by 10 degrees and reducing the pump recovery time by .2 or .1. Also others can give their experience on this and different machines. Its not meant to be a mine is bigger than yours comparo, but people can do an honest self assessment and we can see where things lie. It may be that using enough for 2 lattes say shows up the thermoblocks weakness - it may be that it does not have the steam volume compared to a boiler. That will my next eperiment this afternoon. As I say I am having too much time this PM. My 2 boys are at home and its peacefull without the 2 girls!!!!

Cheers

Comment

30 seconds is nice and quick

Gaggia Classic:
            After a double shot, I start steaming 30 seconds after flicking the steam switch.
            It takes me just over a minute for 2 lattes worth.

I guess itd be slightly quicker on a healthier Classic, as mine has a little leak
            at one of the steam joints :-/

-Paul

Comment

Just over a minute is quick Paul - I havent yet tried the 2 latte timing yet - wife felt like tea this afternoon!

Comment

Gday Scott,

The Imat Mokita used to stretch a single latte in about the same time as yours, give or take. Milk for two lattes in 55-65 seconds. This is with PID control maintaining boiler temperature, similar to yours so all in all, Id say the EM6910 is no slouch at all in the steaming stakes

Mal.
                P.S.
                Cant give you the Bezzeras stats just yet but I will once its up and running.

Comment

Cheers Mal - burning the midnight oil mate.

OK, I just did a morning double for a couple of decent sized Lattes.

I used exactly 300mls of soy milk - same as the above attempt with trim - and got it to the same temp which might be a little hot for soy, but I wanted an equal a comparo with my single attempt for a flat white as possible.

I used the same ultra cold milk and this time a 750mm stainless jug that had been in the freezer overnight. From start to finish was one minute and 20 seconds...so I know that its a fair bit of milk, but I think that shows up the difference perhaps between a big boiler and a thermoblock - the thermo starts to show performance loss in bigger volumes. Having said that I am happy with 1 min 20 secs, but it is a weakness at that level I think.

Cheers all.

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1173493957/0#8 date=1173567763
                    Cheers Mal - burning the midnight oil mate.

OK, I just did a morning double for a couple of decent sized Lattes.

I used exactly 300mls of soy milk - same as the above attempt with trim - and got it to the same temp which might be a little hot for soy, but I wanted an equal a comparo with my single attempt for a flat white as possible.  

I used the same ultra cold milk and this time a 750mm stainless jug that had been in the freezer overnight.  From start to finish was one minute and 20 seconds...so I know that its a fair bit of milk, but I think that shows up the difference perhaps between a big boiler and a thermoblock - the thermo starts to show performance loss in bigger volumes.  Having said that I am happy with 1 min 20 secs, but it is a weakness at that level I think.

Cheers all.
                    I must say i admire your zeal, Scott (assume thats the name) but youre going to burn yourself out at this rate.
                    When I was given the Bezzera, I got paranoid and spent all my time comparing how good the most recent coffee was to the last one. Then I figured out I wasnt really enjoying the coffee. Now when my son says, "Great but not as good as the last time I was here," I just say, "Not better, just different!"
                    Slow down and smell the roses (or in this case, coffee)!
                    Brett

Comment

Mate - I have been enjoying this machine (and others before it) for some time before doing a steaming timing....its all a bit of fun and I enjoy it irrespective of the times. The info however is interesting to some and helpful to others. To those that the info does not appeal to they can tune out.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1173493957/0#10 date=1173612264
                        Mate - I have been enjoying this machine (and others before it) for some time before doing a steaming timing....its all a bit of fun and I enjoy it irrespective of the times.  The info however is interesting to some and helpful to others.  To those that the info does not appeal to they can tune out.

Cheers
                        Not criticism on my part, just wondering if this is part of the reaction of Sunbeam owners who took a beating (or felt they did) over the 6900.
                        Im one of those people who just figure, if it works and you are gaining in skills, also enjoying yourself, then its best to ignore all the other distractions.
                        Obviously you have a much improved, far more capable and reliable machine and enjoy it, which is all to the good.
                        All the best
                        Brett

Comment

Cheers Brett. Its not a response of that type. Its me having too much time on a saturday and being anal about most things I purchase. It is also helpful, I think, to those who are interested in steaming time, including owners of EMs - for example those who have not tuned their 6910s should consider these steam times and can see what a re-program can do for their machines.

Cheers matey.

Comment

Heya,

I retimed the Gaggia Classic properly for ya. 40 seconds heat up time (purge for 10 seconds at 30 second mark) and 1minute 15s to steam 2 lattes milk. So the shots sit unloved for about 2 minutes.

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1173493957/0#12 date=1173645972
                              Cheers Brett.  Its not a response of that type.  Its me having too much time on a saturday and being anal about most things I purchase.  It is also helpful, I think, to those who are interested in steaming time, including owners of EMs - for example those who have not tuned their 6910s should consider these steam times and can see what a re-program can do for their machines.

Cheers matey.
                              Hi Scott- I for one look forward to the day when Sunbeam is esteemed along with the Italian machines- the day is getting closer.
                              Certainly we have a situation where the new EM dose similar to my PID Botticelli for close to half the cost. If, as seems to be the case, we have good quality control then its a great little machine.
                              Re time on your hands, theres almost nothing in my house that hasnt been modified in some way- all coffee machines, guitars, amplifiers, stereo, electronic gadgets. Id heard that per capita we are the second most inventive nation on earth- second only to the Swiss- although occasionally my inventive could be seen as destructive when all doesnt go as planned!
                              All the best
                              Brett

Comment

Working...
                              X