Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• split dose - do it or not?

Hello everyone,

Im still trying to control my little Classic, but its not that easy. I often get uncentered cones on my NPF and coffee spiting is also not a rare thing. Someone suggested on another forum that I should split dose, so dose around 7g, distribute, tamp, dose the rest, distribute, tamp and lock. I seem to remember that this way can lead to horizontal channeling. I also remember reading that the best thing to do is simply tamp only once, without tapping, knocking, just a simple one tamp and polish. Could it be that it works on some machines and doesnt on others?

Because of all this I have a brainstorm going on in my head and Im not sure what to do next. I tried split dosing and it does work, I get an even stream, less spiting, but frankly its rather timeconsuming and while the clock is ticking, the PF is getting colder and colder...

Can you suggest something? Usually I use around 16-17g of fresh roasted coffee, grind before the shot, right into the PF, distribute with my evil S&M pin tool (breaking all the clumps), level with a curved piece of plastic, tamp once (around 15kg), polish (with no force applied) and lock. The tamp is 99% of the time even.

Oh and heres how the split dose shot looked yesterday:

but the coffee cake had a lot of holes:

and sadly it always does when I underdose (and it doesnt matter if I split dose or dose once).

Cheers,
    dsc.

Re: split dose - do it or not?

DSC, "spitting" sounds like channelling. Despite your best efforts, the water is finding a weak spot through the puck.

From your description youre doing things pretty right. Colour is good. But Id do one or two modifications.

Having put the appropriate dose into the basket, and levelled it, allow the weight only of the tamper (assuming you have a heavy one) slightly compress the grounds.

Then remove it and give the side of the basket a very gentle tap to make the grounds clinging to the sides fall in.

Now do your 14-15 kg tamp, polishing at the same time, not after.

But from that photo it all looks good. Whats the taste like?

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by dsc link=1173990485/0#0 date=1173990484
      Hello everyone,

Im still trying to control my little Classic, but its not that easy. I often get uncentered cones on my NPF and coffee spiting is also not a rare thing. Someone suggested on another forum that I should split dose, so dose around 7g, distribute, tamp, dose the rest, distribute, tamp and lock. I seem to remember that this way can lead to horizontal channeling. I also remember reading that the best thing to do is simply tamp only once, without tapping, knocking, just a simple one tamp and polish. Could it be that it works on some machines and doesnt on others?

Because of all this I have a brainstorm going on in my head and Im not sure what to do next. I tried split dosing and it does work, I get an even stream, less spiting, but frankly its rather timeconsuming and while the clock is ticking, the PF is getting colder and colder...

Can you suggest something? Usually I use around 16-17g of fresh roasted coffee, grind before the shot, right into the PF, distribute with my evil S&M pin tool (breaking all the clumps), level with a curved piece of plastic, tamp once (around 15kg), polish (with no force applied) and lock. The tamp is 99% of the time even.

Oh and heres how the split dose shot looked yesterday:

but the coffee cake had a lot of holes:

and sadly it always does when I underdose (and it doesnt matter if I split dose or dose once).

Cheers,
      dsc.
      Definitely looks like a severely chanelled underdose to me. I find with a triple basket, I need to bench tap to fill, then collapste the dose with my tamp, top up and then tamp proper. Adjust grind accordingly if required. You have to updose them IMHO....

hope it helps...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1173990485/0#2 date=1173991560
        Definitely looks like a severely chanelled underdose to me. I find with a triple basket, I need to bench tap to fill, then collapste the dose with my tamp, top up and then tamp proper. Adjust grind accordingly if required. You have to updose them IMHO....

hope it helps...

2mcm
        Sounds like what I do with my double basket. Grind straight into the PF, bench tap to level, tamp, redose, tamp, polish then pull the shot. Has been providing me with consistent shots without changing my grind settings at all recently. Even when Ive changed beans

Comment

The shot looks very overextracted to me. Perhaps your grind is set too fine also.

Comment

Yep, those black flecks look like coffee grounds -- very fine ones which make it past the basket.

--Robusto

Comment

A few fines is okay....but that is just way too much fines flecking in the cup....associated with overextraction

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1173990485/0#4 date=1174011738
                The shot looks very overextracted to me. Perhaps your grind is set too fine also.
                What tells you that its overextracted? I thought it looked pretty good (the extraction not the puck).

Comment

I think I need to get quicker at typing....

Comment

I have a simple procedure for dosing:

I weigh out 16g of coffee. Put beans in hopper and grind. I dose into the PF until no more grinds come out. Tap a few times on the bench to settle, and tamp once, with a slight twist at the end. Clean of excess grinds from the lugs and top of PF with my finger, and pull the shot.

Whatever is left in the chute becomes iced coffee at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1173990485/0#9 date=1174012678
                      I have a simple procedure for dosing:

I weigh out 16g of coffee.  Put beans in hopper and grind.  I dose into the PF until no more grinds come out.  Tap a few times on the bench to settle, and tamp once, with a slight twist at the end.  Clean of excess grinds from the lugs and top of PF with my finger, and pull the shot.

Whatever is left in the chute becomes iced coffee at a later date.
                      gee, Im glad it s so simple ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Flo link=1173990485/0#7 date=1174012546
                        What tells you that its overextracted? I thought it looked pretty good (the extraction not the puck).
                        I cant say indenfinitely it was overextracted, but it is my opinion from the look of the shot in the cup (based on lots of experience pulling shots day in, day out) that the amount of flecking is a major indication of a overextraction shot......OR a burnt shot. Sorry forgot about that one. Could also just be burnt

Comment

Once youve done it a few times, theres no guesswork about whether its too much, or not enough. Simple because theres only one step for each part of the process.

Weigh and grind in one go. While youre grinding, youre doing a purging flush on the machine. You grab the PF and dose, tamp, clean. Pull the shot while weighing and grinding the next. Very repeatable.

Comment

Unfortunately, a given weight of beans does not always translate into the same weight of grounds. In some grinders like the Iberital, some grounds do remain behind, attached to the burs, the sides of the chute and so on.

--Robusto

Comment

I should have specified for the mini.

The main point is you want to dose, settle, and tamp once.

Comment

Working...
                              X