Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much water???

Hi guys,
    i was given a Bodum 3020 Granos Espresso Machine after my brother decided he didnt use t enough to grant it the bench space at his house.

it does make great espreso, but there is one little problem  :-/...

After each espresso, uon removing the portafiller from the head, i lways discover excess water sitting on top of the tampered grounds. I have tried altering the tamping pressure as well as the degree of coffee grind and yet the excess water is still a problem.  

I have noticed that the although the Bodum grounds basket has holes all over the inside of the basket floor, it only has 1 pin-hole on the under-side for all the espresso to come through. I did try my presso basket (which fit incredibly well in there) but there was the same problem.

any ideas???
    matt

Re: too much water???

Expensive little toy!

In my albeit limited experience from what Ive read about this type of problem the answer will lie in either:
    a) the grind, or
    b) the 3-way valve malfunction

Its more likely to be the grind. What type of grinder do you use and can you describe what the grind feels like?

Comment

Pressurised portafilter with crema-enhancing baskets. No 3-way valve.

You can try to dose up a bit, and it may help the problem.

Comment

thanks guys,
        as i said - it does produce a really nice espresso and crema, but it is a bit of a nuisance have a sloppy portafiller when you release it after each brew. ill give the dose amount a crack, and maybe try a bit coaser grind as well.

peace, matt

Comment

You might also look at trying to get a non-pressurised portafilter.

Comment

Based on my beginner experience with an espresso machine, which came standard with two sets of 1-cup and 2-cup baskets for the portafilter, the basket with just a single hole at the bottom is a pressurised filter, designed for supermarket ground coffee, and the basket with lots of holes at the bottom is the non-pressurised filter, designed for coffee thats ground finely for commercial machines.

I can get good results out of a tin of supermarket coffee with the pressurised filter, and an equally pleasant, if not more aromatic result out of finely ground commercial stuff with the non-pressurised filter.

From the sounds of it, this machine that you have is fitted with a pressurised filter basket, so this means that its suitable for the supermarket ground coffee, e.g. a tin of the Victtoria coffee. Yummy enough for general sipping.

A watery puck suggests that you are not putting enough grind in. Ive been told that if the level of coffee is more than 3mm from the edge of the filter, then theres not enough grind in the basket.

Cheers,

Lawrance Lee

Comment

I think its just the pressurised baskets causing you to get a soggy puck. My friend has a machine with those and the pucks are always soggy regardless of the grind etc.

Comment

Pressurised baskets and machines without 3 way valves do tend to retain quite a bit of water in the basket after the extraction.... basically there is nowhere for it to go....

A non pressurised basket would give you a far less wet puck.

Comment

JavaB said it correctly... no 3 way valve and pressurised baskets WILL give you soggy pucks.. no way around it... except look at getting non pressurised baskets

Comment

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

The Sunbeam EM6910 does have a 3 way valve, which would explain why my pucks are not soggy even with the pressurised basket!

Im quite rapt with this little machine, even if its not as highly regarded as the likes of a Miss Silvia.

Comment

Originally posted by tempestv8 link=1175855663/0#9 date=1176335251
                      Ah, that makes perfect sense.

The Sunbeam EM6910 does have a 3 way valve, which would explain why my pucks are not soggy even with the pressurised basket!

Im quite rapt with this little machine, even if its not as highly regarded as the likes of a Miss Silvia.  
                      Probably a topic thats been discussed too many times. maybe leave it at:
                      Im quite rapt with this little machine,
                      which is a sentiment we all hope for with our gear!
                      Brett

Comment

obvious question is begging to be asked...

where would i go to source a non-presurised basket for the bodum?

thanks for all the tips and info too guys.
                        matt

Comment

Originally posted by otherendup link=1175855663/0#11 date=1176364137
                          obvious question is begging to be asked...

where would i go to source a non-presurised basket for the bodum?

thanks for all the tips and info too guys.
                          matt
                          It all depends on the size of the filter basket- if its 53mm a Saeco will fit and Caffe Bianchi in Leichardt has them for $45. If a diff size others may be able to suggest a source
                          Brett

Comment

I have had my Granos 3020 US for over 7 yrs.  Since I cant get replacement baskets for it anymore, and my set is clogged to the point of extreme annoyance, here is a solution.

Take a fine drill bit (1/16" or preferably smaller) and drill through the pinhole on the bottom.  It will take several seconds to work through the outer wall.  Once it breaks through the outer wall, stop.  Put it back into the portafilter and run some water through it, the gunk in the double wall pore space will be coming out aplenty.  Youve now also depressurized it, so you will have to go 1 or 2 grinds finer.  Voila, now getting real crema with a turkish grind. 

Ordered a La Pavoni Millenium 53mm OD basket and will try it tomorrow.  Looks very close to the original (still pressurized though).

Comment

Working...
                            X