What makes a good knockbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good knockbox

Ive read several reviews of different kinds of knock boxes fromthe grindenstiens to bang bangs that cool looking one someone on here built and that ridiculously huge one I have.
    Whats everyones thoughts on them,
    what do you look for specifically,
    I have way too much freetime and keen to do some DIYing again, ex builder with too many tools and stuff. Maybe we could all design a signature edition coffee snobs knock box?
    your thoughts?
    Steve

Re: What makes a good knockbox

Steve,

I reckon thats a great idea .

Personally, I use the SS draw set designed for the Rocky/Silvia combo.
    I no longer have the Silvia, so have been considering alternatives.

The main thing I would be looking for in my next knock-box would be some cushioning on the rod.

The current one has a piece of wood. Works fine, but wood in a SS tray makes for a fair noise level when making a coffee once the bub is asleep (shes used to the grinder).

I suppose I could get some cushioning myself and play around, but the trays are taking up a bit too much real estate now that the machine wont fit on top. Well see.

Ive been looking at the Sunbeam bang-bang, the Grindstein and the one on Coffee Parts.

Thundergod has the coffeeparts one and reckons its great.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174477597/15

Comment

Yes I agree the noise it can make is an issue, my box didnt have the bar in it so I hacked at a broom handle(perfect diameter) and wrapped it in a sheet of foam with an adhesive back, dulls the sound out nicely.
      My bro-in-law suggested using some kind of radiator type pipe from repco or even the heat shielding foam you get in plumbing supplies over the standard core of wood.
      Also having some kind of rubber base Im thinking a good idea also.
      Thanks FB

Steve

Comment

Yes.
        A rubber non-slip, non marking base would be a requirement.

The radiator tube is a fine idea, but probably a bit heavy duty for my needs. Also, since the wood in my draw sits in a specifically designed slot, wrapping it entirely will probably cause fit issues. I think Ill investigate the adhesive foam idea.

Whatever you use, I doubt that it will last as long as the wood (or whatrever solid material is in use) does. Ive seen commercial ones where the insulation has well and truly worn away. Im guessing theirs gets a bit more use than mine though.

Comment

what about shape? Most on websites seem to be round cylinders apart from the drawer units, being a bit of a carpenter(well I was paid as one for a while lol) Had an idea for a hand made dovetailed box shape with the usual "knocker rod" in the middle perhaps?

Comment

I use black irrigation pipe slipped over a piece of aluminium pipe.

-Robusto

Comment

Theres an Australian-made one called "The Coffees Bean" which is also sold at a few retail places such as Wheel & Barrow. I paid $32 which I thought was pretty good given the price of the Chinese-made cheapies (often much more!) and its about perfect. Rubber on the knock bar, and rubber on the base. Holds a weeks worth of pucks.

Comment

Thanks for the mention fatboy.
                The one from Coffee Parts is the "Coffees Been" one David just mentioned.
                Emptying weekly suits me better than every two days with a Grindenstein.

Sullo a wooden one may be harder to clean.
                Even if you seal the whole thing you are going to have corners.
                Round knock boxes dont have corners for coffee to hide in.

Another advantage of the CB one is it is dishwasher safe.

And fatboys comments about ones in commercial use wearing away is oh so true.

Renzo at DiBartoli has the CB and last time I was there he was lamenting that the rubber over the bar was already wearing thin.
                Im sure me makes a few more coffees per day than me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1176864242/0#4 date=1176870422
                  what about shape? Most on websites seem to be round cylinders apart from the drawer units, being a bit of a carpenter(well I was paid as one for a while lol) Had an idea for a hand made dovetailed box shape with the usual "knocker rod" in the middle perhaps?
                  I think shape would be irrelevant as long as the rod can be turned and removed.
                  IE: So you are NOT always striking exactly the same spot every time.
                  You could still have it fitting snugly, but it would require the owner to rotate it a little at various intervals.

Personally, I think Id like a snug fit that I can rotate when I choose to.

Comment

Love the Cafe Series Bang Bang....round bottom, excellent knock bar, good rubber foot print for sound/vibration suppression. Holds HEAPS of pucks....and combined with a small plastic bag....no need to wash the knock box....simply change the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1176864242/0#9 date=1176881054
                      Love the Cafe Series Bang Bang....round bottom, excellent knock bar, good rubber foot print for sound/vibration suppression. Holds HEAPS of pucks....and combined with a small plastic bag....no need to wash the knock box....simply change the bag.

So long as you remember to change it frequently enough. With my low volume usage by the time it fills up most of the pucks down the bottom have grown green furry beards and look as though they might walk out by themselves.. ;D

Comment

lol...I empty it every few days...itll hold maybe 20 pucks?

Comment

..but not nearly as bad as when I left the pitcher half filled with frothed milk on the top of the machine for a week. The final stench had me looking under the house for whatever had crawled under there and died.

But two thumbs up for the Sunbeam knock box. I havent come across a better one for home use. 8-)

Comment

Yes, the Sunbeam looks good, and its easy to slip off the rubber bits for cleaning.

When I start to grow ashamed of my hideous home-made one which is kept out of sight under the sink, I might be tempted...

-Robusto

Comment

Ive had both the Coffee Bean and the Sunbeam Bang Bang.

I found the Coffee Beans opening a little small, the Bang Bang has a broader opening and a better knock bar IMHO.

The Knock Bar is just a dowel (read: Broom handle) covered in a material similar to an automotive heater hose. I have no problems shoving it in the dishwasher. Although I have now taken a leaf out of Wushoes book and have a plastic bag in it. Makes keeping it clean so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X