Washing the filter basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing the filter basket

I was just watching one of the instructional videos on the Gaggia site and they say to wash the filter basket in hot soapy water??

I was always told not to wash it as it can affect the taste of the coffee.
    Is there some type of detergent that has a natural smell/taste that they use?

Re: Washing the filter basket

Who told you not to wash it?

As long as you rinse the detergent off, all should be fine.

Not washing it has way more chance of effecting the taste than washing it.

Brett.

Comment

Not having clean equipment will lead to all sorts of funky tastes coming through.

As fatboy says, as long as you make sure all the detergent is gone and the equipment completely rinsed youll be fine.

The oils in coffee extraction very quickly build up and if left, will turn rancid causing all sorts of havoc with tastes.

Just remember to pull a shot before you pour your cup to re-season the filter.

Comment

If you really need it, Cafetto is really good stuff.

Comment

Definitely wash it. I just chuck it in the dishwasher every night, once a
          week soak in Cafetto.

Comment

I hadnt thought of tossing it the dishwasher.
            It does a load every night so adding the filter basket is easy.

Thanks for that tip hazbean.

Comment

lol my work had a coffee machine that I would use and one day someone was washing the basket with soapy water and someone went off their nut about it.

It had something to do with breaking up the oils in the coffee next time it was used.
              But I guess if you wash all the detergent away it’s not going to really do that.

I washed mine yesterday and today could not tell any different.
              There are probable many bad habits that have been past on to me.

Comment

yep there are a whole host of theories and concepts about why we shouldnt ever maintain clean and hygienic coffee machines.
                I knew a girl who was taught at the Lavazza coffee course that you shouldnt wipe out filter baskets or you might get a metal taste in the coffee. and I had a customer a couple of weeks ago explaining to me that "in italy you can tell the best cafes by how much milk is caked on the steam wand" apparently its an indication of how popular they are. :-X

Comment

HAHA... that is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Christretto link=1179707258/0#2 date=1179710033
                    Not having clean equipment will lead to all sorts of funky tastes coming through.

The oils in coffee extraction very quickly build up and if left, will turn rancid causing all sorts of havoc with tastes.

Just remember to pull a shot before you pour your cup to re-season the filter.
                    Yeah - thats the call.

Christretto?

Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1179707258/0#7 date=1179793538

I knew a girl who was taught at the Lavazza coffee course that you shouldnt wipe out filter baskets or you might get a metal taste in the coffee. and I had a customer a couple of weeks ago explaining to me that "in italy you can tell the best cafes by how much milk is caked on the steam wand" apparently its an indication of how popular they are. :-X

Actually grendel, I think you know a cafe that has a good few layers of milk on their steam wand... Must be a good cafe.

What is so hard about keeping equipment clean?

Comment

I thought the name change better represented me...

Comment

Originally posted by Christretto link=1179707258/0#10 date=1179803482

What is so hard about keeping equipment clean?
                          Lack of training, professionalism at making coffee, caring.....

Or just plain slackness :

Comment

Leads one to wonder about the passion (or lack of) for coffee then.

Comment

Originally posted by Christretto link=1179707258/0#11 date=1179803532
                              I thought the name change better represented me...
                              With all due credits to ..... for suggesting it...

As far as the name accurately representing you, well I wont argue with that...

Comment

Working...
                              X