24 hours with a Krups XP7240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hours with a Krups XP7240

Hi, my name is Ian and Id like to relay my experience purchasing an espresso machine.

Ive been using an old Krups coffee machine - worth about $300 6 years ago. The machine was getting a bit long in the tooth, it had a minor leak and was taking about 6-8 minutes to heat a jug of milk. So, I decided to get a new machine.

Like all major purchases, I *always* do my homework. This was no exception.

Ideally the new device would be fully automatic. I dont have too much free time so I took this into consideration. A friend had a Krups XP7240. He loves it. I assumed he also loves his coffee. This seemed to be a worthy recommendation. I did some research on Coffee Snobs and someone asked about the Krups machine and true to CS style, it was shot down in a huge ball of flames. And fair enough too! CS is utilised by a bunch of coffee connoisseurs, not a bunch of weekend latte drinking yuppies. CS is hard core. And that s what I concluded. Hell, I dont think that any of the critisisers had even tried the machine. Plus, I have a friend who tells otherwise.

I reasoned that all I wanted was something to make me a quick coffee. I can drink blend 43, so I can drink anything this Krups shoots at me.

Off to the Good Guys Essendon I go...

To put it simply, I owned the fully automatic XP7240 for a good 24 hours before I returned it. From removing it from the box, it was disappointment after disappointment. Heres why:

• It doesnt support pre-ground. My wife cant drink caffeinated coffee so in order to prepare a coffee for her, I had to remove all of the beans and put hers in. This is something I was already aware of but it was still disappointing.
    • It can only heat milk to a max 45 degrees! What the!?! To give (the tiniest amount of) credit, it can heat using the high froth Cappachino mode to 55 degrees :P. It was like drinking coffee flavored milk that had been left in the sun.
    • It couldnt achieve a good crema.
    • Its not as automatic as Id anticipated. It still requires a good amount of maintenance - particularly after running the milk under the steamer, which is understandable but it does slow the whole process down.
    •And, it had some other less significant issues.

So, I called Krups Australia. After some very rude and patronising service, the support person came to the conclusion the unit was faulty. "Take it back" she said. I believed she was wrong. I believed it wasnt faulty, it was how it was.

I went back to the store, where I relayed this to sales girl. Long story short, I tested the instore demo machine with my trusty thermometer. That machine was only capable of doing 45 degree milk too. I got a refund and went on my merry way.

Time to do more homework...

I had previously eyed off both the Silvia and the EM9610. After reading some reviews, I decided on the EM9610 for a couple of reasons - one being that I dont yet have a grinder and am still using pre-ground coffee (dont hurt me please, its coming very soon).

And the result?

Absolutely Brilliant!!! I love it! Im fascinated by it. Now all I need to do is get a grinder and properly learn how to drive it

Seriously though, the EM9610 was the complete opposite experience to the XP7240. It was wow after wow. Im still amazed that a machine half the price of the XP7240 is capable of producing cafe quality coffee.

Just so Im clear here, Im not saying that other people wont appreciate the Krups XP7240. They must do as my friend does and according to the Good Guys, theyve never had a returned unit, so there are people who do appreciate it. I just know, if I had read a post like this before my initial purchase, Id have never made the purchase in the first place!

Re: 24 hours with a Krups XP7240

heggaton (Ian),

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Nice to know you got it all sorted out quick smart.

So now youre a Good Guys legend, the w@#%r who spoiled their perfect no returns record.  ;D

Comment

Now you can get a grinder with that spare change

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1180262087/0#1 date=1180262994
        Yeah, it wasnt without its issues. They (Good Guys) had to call Krups themselves - who concluded that the coffee machine wasnt for me - as I "must be some type of elite coffee drinker". I really dont think I am, I just know what a good coffee is - and by my books, the Krups wasnt producing good coffee. Particularly when spending a good $1300.

I now realise that had I spent $1300 on a machine and grinder, Id have an awesome fitout (I believe the Silvia and Rocky fall into that ballpark?).

Still, you cant wipe the grin off my face with the sweet coffee the EM9610 makes. And it fills the entire house with the aroma too!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by heggaton link=1180262087/0#3 date=1180307501
          Originally posted by Thundergod link=1180262087/0#1 date=1180262994
          Yeah, it wasnt without its issues. They (Good Guys) had to call Krups themselves - who concluded that the coffee machine wasnt for me - as I "must be some type of elite coffee drinker". I really dont think I am, I just know what a good coffee is - and by my books, the Krups wasnt producing good coffee. Particularly when spending a good $1300.

I now realise that had I spent $1300 on a machine and grinder, Id have an awesome fitout (I believe the Silvia and Rocky fall into that ballpark?).

Still, you cant wipe the grin off my face with the sweet coffee the EM9610 makes. And it fills the entire house with the aroma too!

Cheers!
          EM6910? Im guessing you spend around $650 or so on it? I couldnt recommend enough spending your remaining money on a grinder. (another $650) youll never have to upgrade, youll know that its giving you commercial quality grind and it will last forever. I wold reccomend to only look at step less adjustment grinders. which start with the iberital challenge and then quicly jump to the likes of compac/mazzer and macap. personally I would get one of the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by heggaton link=1180262087/0#0 date=1180262086
            according to the Good Guys, theyve never had a returned unit,
            I love that line. do they think your just going to say. "really no ones ever returned one, well ill just be on my merry way then and accept poor coffee."

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1180262087/0#4 date=1180316034
              I couldnt recommend enough spending your remaining money on a grinder. (another $650) youll never have to upgrade
              Yeah, the problem is, I had to purchase it on interest free. I run my own business and cash flow is always odd. So, they simply refunded the interest free - giving me full credit again.

In this case, I figure Ill have to wait till Ive got the cash - which shouldnt be too long

Comment

Ian,

I want to add my voice to your post to give my perspective. Ive just had 24 hours with the XP7240 and have had a real positive experience. Im a short black & flat white fan and found the "espresso strong" and "coffee strong" functions both deliver a very creditable coffee. Crema in both cases was thick enough with a good colour, coffee had strong flavour, without a hint of any burnt undertones. This was all using the standard Lavazza Blue Bag whole beans.

The maintanence you refer to is only a minor issue here in Melbourne : with little or no chlorine in our tap water the filter can be discarded, and with the relative softness of it you wont have to decalicfy very often, if at all.

Like you I had a smaller KRUPS machine in the past that gave me good service. The main reason for me to buy this machine is that my wife enjoys lattes, and steaming milk has always seemed like a pain in the arse to me. The automatic latte/cappuccino function seems to produce a good froth : and by following instructions to have the milk at an average temperature of 8degC before steaming the outcome was creditable.

Overall, great for espresso, long black, & short black. If your only doing the latte/capuccinno thing infrequently then the convienience of the automatic frother is awesome. Your point on changing beans I can understand : this would suck, but luckily I dont have this issue. One negative on the machine is that the cup heater is not really man enough for the job, so I rinse my cups in hot tap water before hand. I just finished a flat white, and given that it is 3degC in my front room the coffee stayed hot for a good while.

One other point : KRUPS is historically a German company with machines the are made in France as they are now owned my Moulinex group. If your looking for Italian style expresso, youre unlikely to get it out of a French/German brand. For me if I want a brain pounding, black, and slightly bitter expresso Im happy to go out for it.

9v_pepe

Comment

Working...
                X