Feedback on Pullman Tampers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on Pullman Tampers...

For those who have posted here before, what are your follow-up thoughts now youve had the tamper for a while? First impressions are great, but lasting improvements are really what were looking for.

Greg

Re: new pullman tamper

What can I add after having used three for three different machines:
    * they work!
    * they are pretty!
    * the lines around the base make checking on dose easy
    * the lines around the base make checking on flatness of tamp easy
    * the others all look pretty ordinary- hard to just ify high prices for something not custom fit and with no particular redeeming or identifying features

Love them
    Brett

Comment

NEW Pullman Tamper

I got mine in the Mail Today and yes straight into making the first shot. I was amazing how much a difference it made.

Easy to keep level with the rings as guidance. Great weight and handle design. Fits my hand lovely.

I have made three espressos now and all were really good. Thanks Robin and Greg for the prompt service and excellant wrokmanship.

Im sure this will certainly increase the odds of perfecting the perfect shot.

Oh by the way I got the Jarrah and Flat Base.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1155203314/60#64 date=1184826072
        For those who have posted here before, what are your follow-up thoughts now youve had the tamper for a while? First impressions are great, but lasting improvements are really what were looking for.

Greg
        I still love it, thats not likely to ever change.
        The rings are a great guide, I use them every time.
        The rest is second nature now.

I love showing it off too.
        People think Im crazy for having a custom made fitted tamper but I just tell them it shows Im serious.

Comment

Picked mine up from Greg on Friday.
          Took a couple of shots to get used to it. But now I love it.
          I got one of the special Jarrah ones and a flat base.

Comment

Im still very happy with my tamper.  After using it for 8 months I just glance at the rings on the base and know whether Ive dosed correctly or not.  And it still looks like new, with a fair amount of use and only normal care taken.  I use a generic stainless steel tamper at work, and while I can still get a fair gauge of my dosage it just isnt as accurate.  The work tamper doesnt feel anywhere near as comfortable to use either, and is just a little too small for the PF.  There is a definite difference with the Pullman.  

Comment

I still love mine! You cant beat the look of timber and stainless.

Comment

Ok Im doing something wrong here....

Just received my new GP tamper. Looks great. First tamper and I couldnt twist my tamper out as the LM basket was spinning around in my Rancilio portafilter (LM basket came with GP tamper). Shot only came through on one side. On inspection there was a gap in grinds in the basket. Tasted bitter.

Changed beans. LM basket still spinning in portafilter. Looks like potholes in the basket - maybe I dont have enough? Shot didnt come through.

Changed grind. Didnt know how much to put into my new LM basket - saw that first tampering was uneven and part of the inside lip of the LM basket showed through. Potholes still present. Added more into the basket, tampered although looked patchy, came through evenly, tasted bitter....

Cleaned machine with solution (it was due).

Ground into LM basket, still dont know how much to put in (what guide should I use?). Patchy or pothole effect, basket spins in silvia portafilter. Turned it upside down to wipe off excess, and it all fell out!

Ground again...added heaps in, thinking that it fell out becuase I didnt have enough. Patchy effect. Put so much  in that it wouldnt fit into the group....removed some. Pulled a shot, came out beautifully but still not tasting as creamy as I was having last week.

So my questions are -
                • how much grind should I put in the LM basket?
                • how do I stop it looking patchy/potholey after tampering?
                • how do I stop the LM basket spinning when I try and twist the tamper out of the Rancilio portafilter?
                :-?

Coffee is fresh and good quality (five senses roasted last week)

Im still new at all this, so go easy!

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Joe

If the coffee is falling out when you tip it upside down, it suggests to me that you have under-dosed the basket.

What I think is happening is that because there isnt enough coffee in the basket, the tamper is able to make its way deeper into the basket as you tamp. The sides of the basket arent dead square and as you go deeper, the tamper can wedge itself against the sides - hence the spinning.

If youve filled correctly, you should be able to see a slight imprint from the screw of Silvias shower screen. Hope this is of some help!

Comment

Cool thanks Dennis I thought so, and thats why I added some more, but obviously too much. Where should the GP tamper sit in a perfectly tampered LM basket??

Comment

Originally posted by joe7238 link=1155203314/60#73 date=1187935041
                      Cool thanks Dennis I thought so, and thats why I added some more, but obviously too much. Where should the GP tamper sit in a perfectly tampered LM basket??
                      If the tamper hits the ridge in the basket when you tamp, then you havent put enough in the basket and will be unable to get the coffee evenly tamped. It should be filled so the tamped level is just slightly above the ridge. Ive been using 18gm which brings the level to about the middle depth marker on the pullman tamper. If you fill too high youll notice extra resistance when you lock the portafilter in position.

Oh, try this - put your tamper in to an empty basket and see what level depth marker the tamper goes in to. On mine its somewhere near the top marker. Youll need to fill slightly above that level, but not too high that the portafilter offers more resistance than usual to lock it in.

When youve got the level right, then you need to adjust you grinder so that you get 50-60ml from a double basket in 25-30sec. Then you should be pretty close to the optimum setting.

Bill

Comment

Hi,

With our tampers the level of the puck should generally be 7mm below the lip of the basket.... which means the first line on the edge of the base will be level with the baskets edge.....

With the LM ridged baskets the tamper will not enter the basket more than about 9-10 mm (the centre line of the three on the side is 9 mm)....

When tamped the surface of the puck should just touch the showerscreen.... which equates to about 20-21 grams of coffee in an LM double basket.

The LM double basket needs a lot more coffee than the Silvia double (The Silvia is typically about 14 grams).

JavaB (Pullman Tampers)

Comment

ok, I think there is something strange going on...

It doesnt seem like the tamper or basket is even at all. When the basket is empty, one side of the tamper has the top line aligned with the top of the basket, but the other side has the middle line of the tamper aligned with the top of the basket...

Ill take photos

Comment

Cant wait to see the pics....maybe Joe has been tamping at 150kg rather than 15kg?

Comment

Originally posted by joe7238 link=1155203314/75#76 date=1187940668
                              It doesnt seem like the tamper or basket is even at all. When the basket is empty, one side of the tamper has the top line aligned with the top of the basket, but the other side has the middle line of the tamper aligned with the top of the basket...
                              Joe,

The tamper wont be the problem but the basket is more likely the cause.

Baskets are just pressed out of a sheet of metal..... and then the ridge is pressed into the side..... if it isnt perfectly aligned then it could be at a slight angle to the rim of the basket.

The other possibility is the tamper has been forced into the basket during shipping by Aussie Post..... I received one back (for resizing for a different basket) which had been dropped (or maybe run over by a truck) where the tamper base had been forced to the bottom of the basket..... This was a tapered non ridged basket. I had to hold the stud of the tamper base in a vice and drive the basket off the base with a pine block and a hammer .

This type of damage is unlikely in your case (unless the packing box was really, really damaged).

It is more likely the ridge is not true with the rim. Even if this is the case it wont affect the operation of the tamper.... as you should NEVER be tamping that low.....

With a Pullman you use one tamp - and one tamp only..... no need for tamps with a partially filled basket..... (and if you do you have a FAR greater chance of channelling). Fill the basket, tap to settle the grinds, refill if necessary, level and tamp. The top of the resultant puck should be well above the level of the ridge so the fact that it is slightly out compared to the rim wont be an issue.

Ive just checked a couple of other new baskets.... and the ridge on those is also not perfectly aligned with the rim.

Pressing metal is always less than a perfect process (with size variations in the width of the baskets (within one batch) greater than 0.6mm. That is why we hand match the baskets before the tamper is made...... and these are genuine LM baskets..... you should see the variation in some of the others

JavaB (Pullman Tampers)

Comment

Working...
                              X