Help Convert Me Please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Convert Me Please!!!

O My God!!! I wish I found this site years ago...I have always had a love of good coffee, but was what you would maybe call a "latte Mum" (liked them, couldnt make them) Then i was lucky enough to be offered a barista course that was being held by Justine Metcalf and Sean Edwards...now the rest is history!!! A week after the course I have just purchased a Sunbeam cafe crema ( i did do some research and for my budget???) At first i thought my machine was broken as when i went to steam my first jug of milk, the thumping noise it made didnt sound right to me, but after 20 mins on hold Sunbeam says this is normal? My other issue is grinding... now i know its probably bad to grind in my magic bullet (please dont hurt me...lol) but would this method be better than pre-ground or not?
    Any starters tips or comments would be great thanx

Re: Help Convert Me Please!!!

Hi Mum,

whats a magic bullet? Apart from a theory that got JFK?

Sullos
    Overcaffinated

Comment

Hi coffeemumee, welcome to coffee snobs, my wife has a magic bullet, I would never use it to grind coffee it has no way of setting any form of consistency whatsoever which is what coffee grinding is all about. So extremely reluctantly I am forced to say in your case that "gag, cough, choke," preground would be a better option. You may be able to find a local coffee shop or supplier who doesnt mind grinding some up for you....

Bearing in mind that the norm is to "grind on demand" due to the rate it becomes stale once ground, which in my opinion is about 3 minutes max so regular smaller amounts may work better for you until you can acquire a real grinder for yourself......

One last thing, the grinding process is if not as important is probably more important than the espressing process......

Ray...

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1188382879/0#1 date=1188383808
        Hi Mum,

Sullos
        Overcaffinated
        http://www.danozdirect.com.au/products/kitchen/magicbullet/magic_bullet.php

But wait... theres more!

They are good for doing baby food. We got one (A LOT CHEAPER THAN THE ONE IN THE LINK) and it has been great for blitzing small batches of stuff like apples, stew etc.

It has 101 uses. We are up to 4!

Comment

Welcome coffeemumee,

Like wine, Hi-Fi, golf or family, coffee is a great journey to start on and everyone starts at the beginning!!

Also as in the above pursuits, you gotta get the first bit right before the next bit will be any good i.e. the beans, then the grind, and then the barista, then (and only then) the machine.

If money is tight (and lets face it, money is hardly ever loose!), then Id say buy once, buy right to avoid false economy and unnecessary upgrades later. For me with an expensive kitchen knife, this meant the sacrifice of doing extra shifts at work until I could pay for it out of extra cash. Whatever.

Anyway, set your sights on a good grinder first as thatll allow you to get the absolute best from the Sunbeam, and any future machine you care to buy. If you can stretch to a Macap M4 or Mazzer Mini, great. Seriously, it IS worth it.

Machine-wise - there are just too many to list, but one of the best buys Ive ever made on anything was a 2nd hand commercial 1-group, so remember the great deals to be had second-hand (same applies to grinders).

In the meantime, youve got good goals to aim for, and much barista-skills-sharpening to keep you focussed!

Good journeys.

Comment

Welcome coffeemumee.
            I agree with sultanoswing.
            I too believe in buy once, buy right to avoid false economy and unnecessary upgrades later.

I also own a Macap. My first and hopefully last grinder.

You need to do your research and weigh up your options.
            After all its your money and your coffee.

Talk to the site sponsors. Theyll help you decide.

Comment

thanks for the magic bullet link FB, I had no idea those things still exist!
              Ive lived a sheltered life!
              Mum theres something thats said often here, start with a good grinder then go from there, really does make so much sense, but there are much more informative suggestions here.
              Havea gander thru the posts, youll be amazed at the wealth of knowledge here, in all spectrums of the budget.
              One warning, that condition called upgraditis can occur at anytime....
              Youve been warned
              Welcome!

Sullos

Comment

welcome coffeemumee... and enjoy the ride!

woman to woman advice?
                the Bullet is NOT a grinder, :P it is a masher, and as such not a bad one... but, find another grinder, ANY grinder ... go to second hand/curiosa shops and source an old-fashioned hand grinder if a good, modern, one is not an option.

i , (unfortunately , or is that fortunately ???) am living proof that a fantastic grinder works out to be a much better option than a good grinder... less variation in the grind, less variation in the coffee flavour/mouthfeel, less frustration... spot on performance, every day, no matter what the environment in our bus is like.

our Rocky produced good grinds and had i not known better, it would still do that....but now am the proud owner of 2 grinders.. the "original" Rocky and the new one, a second hand Carimali which i stumbled upon by accident at one of the local pawn/coin converter shops.
                it is consistently producing grinds of such superior quality that i had no qualms filling the Rockys hopper with decaf for my evening plunger-brew.

i would wholeheartedly agree with the general CS sentiment that a great grinder with good beans produces fantastic coffee... from any contraption, be it vac-pot, Vietnamese filter, caffetiere, french press, drippolator, espresso machine from manual Presso to stove-top to bargain basement unit to extreme machine.

alas, an average grinder will only produce the basis for an average extraction, no matter how superb the coffee-producing machine is.

good luck, and enjoy... a lot of the fun is in the chase!!

L

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1188382879/0#3 date=1188386268
                  Originally posted by Sullo link=1188382879/0#1 date=1188383808
                  Hi Mum,

Sullos
                  Overcaffinated
                  http://www.danozdirect.com.au/products/kitchen/magicbullet/magic_bullet.php

But wait... theres more!

They are good for doing baby food. We got one (A LOT CHEAPER THAN THE ONE IN THE LINK) and it has been great for blitzing small batches of stuff like apples, stew etc.

It has 101 uses. We are up to 4!

Comment

thanx every one!!!

i see ive got some new decisions to make...(its a hard life, thinking, researching and talking coffee!!)

Another probably crazy question, but should i be running out and buying a pullman tamper ( i was on his site last night and definatly want one) or would i be better off putting that 100 odd dollars towards a grinder???

I promise not to use my magic bullet again and i hope i didnt freak you all out too much...lol

Comment

pullman tampers are made to match the measurment of your machine, if your thinking of buying a new machine wait till you get your new one, if your keeping it get one, but Id be going grinder maybe.
                      Either way they are good tampers

Comment

Originally posted by coffeemumee link=1188382879/0#9 date=1188429551

Another probably crazy question, but should i be running out and buying a pullman tamper ( i was on his site last night and definatly want one) or would i be better off putting that 100 odd dollars towards a grinder???
                        Hi coffeemumee,

With my Pullman tampers hat on......

As much as we would like to sell you a Pullman, put the $100 towards a good grinder!!!

Whilst our Tampers really improve the quality of the espresso produced - the improvement from using a good grinder will be far greater..... and a far more important step towards great coffee.....

You can always get one of our tampers later... and a Sullo said above, they are made to fit your machine (but we can resize them - to a smaller size - if you change your machine or sell you a new base to fit your handle if you get a machine with bigger baskets).

Comment

I agree on the tamper advise. i got mine after careful consideration - my grinder came first (I already had my machine) and only after I had decided that I was spending a lot on my next machine and would have my current (Gaggia Classic) for a long while yet.

It is a beautiful thing, but wait until you get your next long term machine.

Comment

Working...
                          X