High Pressure Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Pressure Pump

Here is a pump that I have found that may well suit home use. This would replace my faulty Procon.
    http://www.flojet.com/products/beverage/triplex_series_high_pressure_pump_3000_series/iid_123/index.htm
    It is available in 240Vac and supplies up to 7.6L/min and up to 10.3 bar. Still waiting on a price but should be around the $300 mark.

I would appreciate any comments please.

Re: High Pressure Pump

Im no expert but am wondering if 10.3 bar maximum will be enough to deliver 9 bar at the group.

Comment

It looks good. The spec sheet mentions espresso brewing. The thing I was looking for is a flow rate vs pressure diagram. You want a reasonable flow at brewing pressure. You may also need to control or regulate the pressure using either a bypass valve or some form of motor control. Coffeeparts sells bypass valves that should do the trick. Otherwise use a DC motor and a variable voltage supply.

Interesting nonetheless... especially if the price is competitive.

One other option is a micro-gear pump. There is a company in the US that makes such pumps for model jet engines. Theyll happily swap the stainless steel for a teflon gear so that its suitable for water. Their latest model is a high capacity pump that should comfortably handle espresso pressures/flow rates. Price should be in the AUD$200 mark plus postage. Ive had my eye on these for a while.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

I know, the flow verses pressure diagram is not visible. Which brings to light another question. How much flow is required for espresso @ 9 bar? I would have thought flow to be very low considering people normaly talk about a 60ml shot in 30 odd seconds?

Any links to those micro-gear pumps Mark?

Comment

Gday Ralph,

Based on my past experience with pumps of this type, mostly used in chemical/reagent dosing situations, operating them right up near their maximum pressure rating will result in significantly reduced life spans of the diaphragm assemblies and a drop-off of both flow rates and maximum attainable pressures.

I think you will be better off sticking with gear/rotor design pumps as these have much more predictable operation characteristics and performance, as well as longevity in service. All the best mate,

Mal.

Comment

I ran a 12 volt flo-jet in my converted greyhound denning coach / motor home back in 1999, it supplied everything from my on board tank; toilet, shower, dishwasher, sink taps, washing machine you name it, did a great job of supplying volume but not a huge amount of pressure........ Anyhoo, a great little pump non the less...... 8-)

Ray.

Comment

Ray,
              Flojet make many different models of high and low pressure pumps.

Comment

The micro gear pump is made by Flightworks inc. in the US. The model 400-B would be required for espresso. However, these are low volume pumps and really only suitable for servicing a single group. Im thinking about one for an experimental espresso only machine, where the flow rate should be fine. For a commercial machine I would look elsewhere.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

I cant find the output pressure rating fir this 400-B pump???

Comment

Neither could I. But it is an up-rated 300-B and the stats suggest it can do the job for espresso. Nevertheless its close to the limit, so Ive been waiting for the higher capacity pump (ie 400-B). Just email them with any questions. Theyre pretty good with replies.

Again just bear in mind that these pumps are tiny and more suited to single boiler domestic machines like the Silvia, than a commercial beastie.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Working...
                    X