Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding a boiler

Hi,

Had a bit of an unfortunate moment trying to clear the drain hose.

Just wondering what would be the best way of welding a fitting onto a boiler. I presume I should go to a boilermaker. Would this be prohibitively expensive? Does anyone know a boilermaker in Melbourne that might be interested?

I saw in this post /YaBB.pl?num=1174998951/36#36 that slowdown used "Comweld 265" (the current product looks to be Comweld 965.) This might be easier. (I may be able to solder it in situ.) I have a 25w soldering iron. Is this adequate?

Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Re: Welding a boiler

Our technician is a boiler maker....pm if you want more details.

Comment

Originally posted by luke link=1190811122/0#0 date=1190811122
      I saw in this post /YaBB.pl?num=1174998951/36#36 that slowdown used "Comweld 265" (the current product looks to be Comweld 965.) This might be easier. (I may be able to solder it in situ.) I have a 25w soldering iron. Is this adequate?

Or is there something else I should be doing?
      Gday luke,

Any chance of a couple of photos of the job to be done? Might be help to give you worthwhile advice,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

The fitting (I will need to get a new one):

[img]fitting.gif/img]

Comment

Needs to be attached to the boiler:

Comment

Sorry about the photos (taken with a telephone.)

If that is going to be prohibitively expensive, then we can just weld the drain hole closed.

Regards,

Luke

Comment

Luke

IME a 25watt iron struggles with any basic electronic task other than soldering a resistor to a PCB.
              The thermal mass of say a standard 1/4" jack will give it grief, I doubt very much whether it could supply the energy to bring a boiler up to solder melt temperature.

Not saying you cant do the job, just that your iron is probably way out of this league.

Comment

Luke,

As reubster said above.... a 25W iron wont make it..... nor will any electric iron (even a 250W jobbie) unless using soft solder which contains lead and is poisonous....

Cadmium free silver solder melts at a far higher temperature and requires at least the heat from a butane torch to melt it (and a bit of experience if you are going to do the job correctly).

Best left to the pros I think!

Comment

Thanks for everyones advice. I have sent a private message to you, Wushoes.

In the meantime I have bought a French press. I got the one that is "developed using the latest technology with ... materials that are suitable for foods."

-Luke

Comment

Hi Luke i am a boilermaker and it looks like you have broken a piece off buts picture is unclear .Looks like brass.If it is it will need to be soldered on with a good silver solder preferably one that is siuted to food grade use because some solders contain lead and cadmium .You will need to use a brazing tip on an oxy set and the job must be very clean.Take it too your local engineering shop they should fix it for a slab or two.

Comment

As Martybean said, if you are handy with an oxy set head on down to BOC and get some 245 silver solder and a pot of Silver Soldering flux, clean it all up with a wire brush - as my ol jewellery lecturer said - plenty flux slow tip and let the flux do the chemical cleaning. When it goes clear touch the stick to the joint and it should melt instantly and flow smoothly around the joint. Easy Peasy - however if you are hamfisted with a torch pay someone else to do it for you.

Comment

I have a slightly different request along the same lines.

I have a 2 group machine that I would like to cut down to a 1 group. I plane to cannabalise parts from the 2 group, make a new chasis and build a new 1 group machine. Can anyonw point me in the direction of a good boilermaker in Sydney area that would be able to chop and re-weld the 8lt boiler down to 3-4lt?

Comment

Originally posted by 3D38373C6C6D6A68590 link=1190811122/11#11 date=1288906012

I have a 2 group machine that I would like to cut down to a 1 group. I plane to cannabalise parts from the 2 group, make a new chasis and build a new 1 group machine. Can anyonw point me in the direction of a good boilermaker in Sydney area that would be able to chop and re-weld the 8lt boiler down to 3-4lt?

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by 7C7E727A7A74736E1D0 link=1190811122/12#12 date=1288910335
                            Originally posted by 3D38373C6C6D6A68590 link=1190811122/11#11 date=1288906012

Why?
                            I am thinking the same thing.
                            You would need to get another element. The safety valve on boilers are generally in the middle. The electronic controller may only suit a two group...... etc

I would be under the assumption that this would cost more than buying a one group.

I am curious, please enlighten! I see 2 groups go for cheap and singles go for a lot. If you have success please post.

Comment

I am considering this at the moment. I have an old 2 group astoria (boiler approx 9L).

My thought process is as follows:

1) if I can convert it into a one group and use any of the parts from the second group as spares or to fix the first it might prove useful and save some money on parts
                              2) I feel a two group is overkill for my home needs (WAF)
                              3) the cost to run such a big boiler and need for a 15/20amp power point at home will be difficult to acheive. Replacing the element with the smaller version would make the electrical side of it easier.

Let me know how you go with your project.

Comment

Working...
                              X