Mystery Saeco Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Saeco Machine?

Well not a total mystery, I know its a Espresso 2002, but Im not sure how old it is, the manual does not say, and it seems to pre date anything I can find info on.

It also looks very much like an Aroma, but spec wise seems way off once I cracked it open...
    On the inside I found what looks like a brass boiler, and a huge pump, also seems to be 1100W, and to top it off has a non pressurised chromed brass portafilter.

I bought it because I was considering upgrading to a Aroma or Via Venezia, and spotted this thing dirt cheap, and it turned out it was old, but had very little actual use, so I figured what the heck, good way to get a closer look at a boiler machine???.

Now though it has me intrigued, on the down side thanks to excessive dishwasher use, the first thing that happened was the handle snapped off the first time I put in on, good for a laugh, bit I made a temp wooden handle just to give it a go.
    And to my shock, apart from some nasty leaks, it pulled one of the nicest cups of coffee I have ever done at home (moving up from the cheap Sunbeam then Krups machines).
    On the down side thanks to leaks a poor nozzle and zero experience with boilers, I could not steam my milk worth a damn, but hey you learn as you go.

Now maybe a month later, thanks to many trips out trying to find some Viton orings, the leaks are nearly all gone, the original nozzle was to short and three outward facing holes made it near impossible for me to steam, but a pinawhatever minus the cover fixed that, and a new handle is on the way as well, and the thing is really growing on me.

But what gets me now is the history, and how much more Im willing to spend on it, I have already ordered more than I was even considering, and now considering more, but is it worth it?, maybe Im mad but its growing on me, and seems to have better specs than later models so Im wondering if it works better, or am I just nuts?.

Re: Mystery Saeco Machine?

Welcome Bishop!

I think I know where you got this machine because I was looking at it too! The group, steam wand and steam tip all looked the same as a Silvia to me so I was thinking it would be a risk worth taking if I needed a Silvia, which I dont! ;D

If it IS a Silvia in a different shell then its worth persisting with. It would help if you could post some photos of the inside of the machine just to confirm this. But I guess even if its not, the fact its got a brass boiler has to be a good start so if youre happy to persist with it then thats what Id be doing.

Good luck, and welcome again!

Greg

Comment

Possibly a pre Via Venezia, but definitely not a Silvia type because that is the Via Venezia non-pressurised handle and its 53mm not 58 like a Silvia. Looks great- given that the V V can produce a lovely espresso, go with it.
      Brett

Comment

Fair call, I just thought the baskets may have been different. Photos will be interesting nonetheless.

Comment

It looks a lot like a gaggia of some sort to me. That handle is very similar to a gaggia classic or baby gaggia.

Sometimes I wonder how closely affiliated gaggia and Saeco are.

If you do not want it I will buy it from you for a friend of mine who is looking for a starter machine at a good price.

The thing is, if you have ironed out the worst of the problems and are getting great coffee from it, than stick with it until the time comes when you upgrade to a HX machine (as we CSrs do).

I have found that these days with so much manufacturing moving to China etc, that quality is not always there. Also with a bit of TLC, this machine should last you a long time.

The next question is about grinders - do you have a decent burr grinder? If you havent yet, then spend a bit of money on that and you will find your coffee will improve substantially.

Comment

My old MAS Espresso is the same machine , Imported by Lygon imports, Im still waiting for a email (well over 8 months now re spare parts).. Great customer service from the junior members of the familly.. : lucky we dont have large selections of emoticons, I can think of one or two choice ones that I would use..

Comment

This was a friend of mine who was in the same boat... poor chap.

Comment

The Saeco 2002 could be as old as 20 years, or as young as about 12.

Great machine in its day, as someone said above, it basically is a pre cursor to what has now become the Via Venezia type except, that it (the 2002) has a brass instead of the stainless steel boiler. Otherwise, the internal engineering is basically identical.

Very hard to kill, but could be difficult now to get a replacement element (top half of boiler) if or when it shorts out. Note, examples that have been poorly cared for will be all rusty under bubbling paintwork under the drip tray.

If / when the element does go, not worth fixing but fine until then.

Regradz,
                FC.

Comment

oh, when you dont get any joy with spare parts / service from that company someone mentioned above, try Bo-Ema in Sydney. They also imported them for years and *might* have the odd thing or 2 left over in stock.

Regardz,
                  FC.

Comment

Looks like it may be very similar to my Chic, click the link in my signature

Can you tell me if the bottom of the boiler is concave like the Chics? Im thinking of grinding it flat.

Comment

Mine has a few small rust bubbles on the base, nothing major, while it does look a bit rough it does seem like it was just not used much (by my standards), or cleaned either, but so far the workings do seem just fine.

The boiler worried me a little when I realised the element was soldered in, I noticed that when I was replacing the power cord, the original power cord was super short, totally useless.
                      When I look at the boiler closely, with some heat and small mods it looks like you could possibly use a 900w Aroma element, but yeah could be to much trouble.

So far a parts seller from Italy on ebay has been real handy, I did not think Id be able to get a handle, but that should be here soon, and he seems to have a fair few other bit at ok prices.

Since starting to use it, I have found my KG100 is marginal, I did the mod and with some aggressive tamping its just ok, but I will say an EM0450 is on my Christmas list.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyNZ link=1197651200/0#9 date=1197692801
                        Looks like it may be very similar to my Chic, click the link in my signature

Can you tell me if the bottom of the boiler is concave like the Chics? Im thinking of grinding it flat.
                        Mine looks simular, but diffrent, same boiler top I think, but mine does have the flat bottom.

Although, looking at your pics I just realised I ordered the wrong group gasket/seal for mine. :-[

Can you actually pull/replace the seal without needed to remove the boiler?, maybe with a pick tool, or is it in there to tight?.

Comment

Im not entirely sure, I pulled it apart in September and have been busy with a couple of other machines since. It could be possible, but probably not worth the difficulty. The boiler really isnt that hard to remove from the chassis, and its probably worth taking out to give a thorough clean anyho

Comment

They do kind of dismantle easy, as long as I can remember the wiring, but at least I got a pic of it now, probably should get a boiler gasket before I do that?.
                            My current pain though is now I have started using it, I dont want to take it out of action to do more repairs, I hate the idea of going back to the Krups.

Did anyone notice the distorted/burnt plastics on the terminals below the steam knob in my pic?, leaking steam knob above high voltage makes for a smart design flaw.
                            Which reminds me, anyone else have a heap of trouble finding Viton o-rings?, two local coffee service centres would not sell me parts, and no one else had Viton grade rings, finally a bearing shop managed to order in some generic 009s, working fine so far.

Other observations on mine, the chrome is flaking off my portafilter, once again thanks to overuse of a dishwasher Id say, seriously considering dropping it off to get re-chromed, I know some good places.
                            Also I must say while the Pannarello seems dumb for proper milk steaming, use with the cover off is not bad, it allows you to set the height of the nozzle, and the plastic wipes clean really easy.

I have noticed my steam wand still leaks a bit, I know the knob is replaceable, but has anyone tried to re-profile the tip so it seats better?.

Comment

Bishop, I think you may find that the EMO450 is not going to cut the mustard for this machine either. Keep in mind that the quality of your grinder is more important than the machine.

I warn you, these Italian machines have a tendency to be a bit fussy on the grind quality of the coffee. Even an old one like this would have been built to a commercial type standard. Unfortunately, although a good price, the sunbeam grinders have a few issues that still need to be adressed.

Save your money and look at getting a Gaggia MDF or an Iberital challenge minimum. Especially if you intend on upgrading to a higher end machine. One of these will go the distance and if you do buy a higher end grinder to go with the high end machine, you will be able to get a good price for either of these ginders.

Comment

Working...
                              X