Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reg Barber Tamper - Powder Coat or Anodised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reg Barber Tamper - Powder Coat or Anodised?

Currently using an aluminium generic tamper.

Im interested in purchasing a Reg Barber tampers - unsure whether to go w/ the powdercoat finish or anodised.

Concerned the powder coat is prone to chipping and and is less fragile than the anodised?
    How durable is the powder coating on the tampers as opposed to the anodised.

Any one experienced durability problems w/ the paint finish over a period of time?

Look forward to te advise - thanks .

Re: Reg Barber Tamper - Powder Coat or Anodised?

Originally posted by scp1906 link=1200698914/0#0 date=1200698914
    Currently using an aluminium generic tamper.

Im interested in purchasing a Reg Barber tampers - unsure whether to go w/ the powdercoat finish or anodised.

Concerned the powder coat is prone to chipping and and is less fragile than the anodised?
    How durable is the powder coating on the tampers as opposed to the anodised.

Any one experienced durability problems w/ the paint finish over a period of time?

Look forward to the advise - thanks .
    Shame youre not buying Aussie made scp - we have some great stuff- including Pullman and Coffeelab just to name a couple.

Powdercoat, by nature will chip if you knock it around. I suppose it depends on how you care for it....

Chris

Comment

I love my Pullman tamper (made right here!) and its a thing of beauty that improved my shot consistency out of sight...

Cheers

Comment

Hi scp,

Powdercoating is better on stainless steel, anodizing is better on aluminum so Id definitely recommend the anodized if you do want to go for a metal handle. The appearance is different to anodized, more of a painted finish rather than coloured metal (which is exactly what anodized aluminum is). Anodizing also feels a lot colder to the touch as youre touching metal whereas powdercoating applies a layer over the metal so youre touching powdercoat not metal, so it feels less cold to the touch.

Epic used Reg Barbers with powdercoated aluminum handles; one was completely back to bare metal on top and the other was very chipped all over although thats with very heavy cafe use. So yes, powdercoating will certainly be less durable than aluminum. Ive got some photos of their tampers showing their condition on my other PC so if youre really keen Ill post them later.

Are you set on a RB? As the other guys have said, weve got some very good tampers in Australia already so Id encourage you to give those some consideration if you havent already - Steve Bailey has put a lot of work into the Coffeelab tamper and hes gone with anodizing for the aluminum handle (a decision I fully support), and the Pullman Deluxe (our own product ) has a range of hardwood handles and levelling rings on the base; both tampers have a good following. Some sponsors carry a few imported tampers too. At the end of the day though everyones different so good luck with whatever you choose.

Greg

Comment

Throw me in as another vote for anodised. We have a powdercoat RB at work that is pretty banged up. The anodised strikes me as much more robust.

As for all of the different tampers available - the best way to make your decision is to try them, if possible.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Hi scp1906,

May I confirm what ozscott stated. After the purchase of a new Pullman tamper my shots also improved dramatically.

Two or three reasons:-

- the bottom heavy design seems to encourage one to tamp vertically
            - this can be confirmed by sighting around the concentric rings cut into
            the edge of the tamper
            - the tamper fits snugly agains the edges of the portafilter ensuring a
            nice compaction of the puck

Recommend them highly!

Trevorbeans

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Fantastic response to what I needed to know - this is one great site - Ill strongly consider OUR tampers - looking into them now..

Thanks Greg especially for your detailed insight - 8-)

Comment

You may not be aware SCP that you are encouraged by Greg/JavaB to send your baskets to them for caliper measurements and then the base is turned (custom in other words) for your baskets....the fit is then second to none.

Cheers

Comment

I highly recommend the RB anodized aluminium tamper. I have two and they are brilliant.

Pullman are also good, depends what you like I guess....

The aluminium is durable but most importantly feels great. Silky smooth.

I had mine engraved with a logo. Looks stunning.

Comment

Heres why I dont like powdercoated aluminum. This is Epics tamper Feb 2008 - admittedly it gets a hard life but surely tampers should be made to last not just to look fancy? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1200698914/0#9 date=1203414037
                      Heres why I dont like powdercoated aluminum. This is Epics tamper Feb 2008 - admittedly it gets a hard life but surely tampers should be made to last not just to look fancy? :-?
                      And I wonder how much of that powder coating made its way into the coffee. ;D

Comment

Several good reasons to buy a Pullman tamper:

1. Well-made, perfectly fitted, heavy, machined SS base
                        2. Warm, comfortable, attractive, durable hardwood handle
                        3. Leveling rings in base - one of the best features of the tamper
                        4. Locally made, locally supported by site sponsor
                        5. Interchangeable bases and handles (handles unscrew if desired)

CoffeeLab tampers are also first rate, and are especially good for smaller hands.

Matt

Comment

Reg who?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1200698914/0#12 date=1203432606
                            Reg who?

Brother of Tony - Host of "Sale of the Century" and others.

Gee Andy - Dont you know anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1200698914/0#10 date=1203421076

And I wonder how much of that powder coating made its way into the coffee.   ;D

Goes well with cast-iron stomachs.  8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X