X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zupgrade = ECM Classika PID is here!

Glad to update my "what coffee equipment do you all have..."

I have zupgraded (Zero Up) my espresso machine; from none to Classika PID.

I AM HUGELY EXCITED AND I CAN’T CONTAIN MYSELF, SO PLEASE LET ME DRIBBLE A LITTLE HERE. (Just from pure steaming joy)

Long ago I was tempted to post one of those “which machine should I buy” questions but I felt I would have been asking the community to plant more trees in an already dense forest of opinions. Instead I took a long walk through the forest. I immersed myself in the rich history of advise in the forum, as well as soaking up YouTube channels and blogs from around the world. Anything espresso.

Guided by heavyweight CoffeeSnobs and reputable coffee enthusiasts like James Hoffman, Chris Bacca, Scott Rao, “Lab-coat-Matt Perger” and many more, I slowly painted a mental and emotional map of the territory I was going to navigate, all alone, in my kitchen.

Trying to understand every aspect of the hobby, whether technical, practical or even scientific continues to be a big part of the fun. (The hobby shares some mystical qualities of the art of Aquascaping, where endless discussions can be had about the possible benefits of simulated moonlight in your fish tank or the effect of CO2 injection on the breeding habits of your Sulawesi Rabbit Snails!)

The practical reasons for my choice - my first “real” espresso machine, after a short-lived Breville Infuser - were simple: Single Boiler, because I only drink black. My wife has one latte in the morning and we don’t entertain beyond one visitor occasionally. My wife doesn’t like her coffee hot, so there’s not even any pressure in delivering fast. I also had an almost non-existent budget.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725_153600(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	750347Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725_171611(1).jpg
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	750346

Then, why ECM?
    I have to admit that I was partially influenced by the ever-so-enthusiastic Marc from WholeLatteLove YouTube channel (I think he drinks too much espresso) and young Charles Kelso from Clive Coffee (I don’t think he drinks enough espresso). Jeez, those Americans know how to put a nice video together.

I had no chance to see any machines live in my hometown, instead relying on internet study. There came a time when the Classika just seemed to choose me, and all the “reasons” for buying it were just afterthoughts, anything to justify the decision already made. Let’s say that the looks were a factor, as well as the perceived quality and simplicity in design under the hood. I also wanted the e61 head / 58mm portafilter, so I could feed the upgrade-demon with standard accessory snacks. (Already added VST baskets and naked PF) There is always emotion involved in purchases, perhaps more than we think.

Ferrari
    From a financial point of view, this was not a sensible purchase for me. I did not have the funds. JetBlack Espresso gracefully waited for a month while I was depositing part-payments of the order and adding bits and pieces to it and haggling about the freight cost. (Thanks Amber, Ryan and Deb!) I paid most of it by credit card and may have to sell one of my kidneys to pay it off…;-D

This is my midlife-crisis Ferrari. After all, money is only abstract wealth. Rather than impoverish my life by chasing more cash, I enrich it by spending my money on quality products...and good coffee. Whether I made the best choice for my use remains to be seen. Sometimes you have to stand on the top of the mountain to see the best way up. I look forward to a rewarding hobby and hope to contribute to the SnobCommunity in the future.

I might do a review sometime later down the track, if there is still interest out there. A Big Thank You for all CoffeeSnobs for being there. I am already reading the roasting threds...THIS IS PARTLY YOUR FAULT!Cheers!
    Ecstatic LG (Life's Good)

Last edited by LauriG; 25 July 2019, 09:54 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by LauriG View Post
      [FONT=Verdana]Glad to update my "what coffee equipment do you all have..."
      [FONT=Verdana]I might do a review sometime later down the track, if there is still interest out there. A Big Thank You for all CoffeeSnobs for being there. I am already reading the roasting threds...
      Great setup you have there LG! Enjoy the deliciousness and we will look forward to a review on the Classika.

Comment

• Coffee ecstacy awaits you LauriG...

Mal.

Comment

I AM HUGELY EXCITED AND I CAN’T CONTAIN MYSELF, SO PLEASE LET ME DRIBBLE A LITTLE HERE. (Just from pure steaming joy)

Long ago I was tempted to post one of those “which machine should I buy” questions but I felt I would have been asking the community to plant more trees in an already dense forest of opinions. Instead I took a long walk through the forest. I immersed myself in the rich history of advise in the forum, as well as soaking up YouTube channels and blogs from around the world. Anything espresso.

Guided by heavyweight CoffeeSnobs and reputable coffee enthusiasts like James Hoffman, Chris Bacca, Scott Rao, “Lab-coat-Matt Perger” and many more, I slowly painted a mental and emotional map of the territory I was going to navigate, all alone, in my kitchen.

Trying to understand every aspect of the hobby, whether technical, practical or even scientific continues to be a big part of the fun. (The hobby shares some mystical qualities of the art of Aquascaping, where endless discussions can be had about the possible benefits of simulated moonlight in your fish tank or the effect of CO2 injection on the breeding habits of your Sulawesi Rabbit Snails!)

The practical reasons for my choice - my first “real” espresso machine, after a short-lived Breville Infuser - were simple: Single Boiler, because I only drink black. My wife has one latte in the morning and we don’t entertain beyond one visitor occasionally. My wife doesn’t like her coffee hot, so there’s not even any pressure in delivering fast. I also had an almost non-existent budget.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22838[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22837[/ATTACH]

Then, why ECM?
          I have to admit that I was partially influenced by the ever-so-enthusiastic Marc from WholeLatteLove YouTube channel (I think he drinks too much espresso) and young Charles Kelso from Clive Coffee (I don’t think he drinks enough espresso). Jeez, those Americans know how to put a nice video together.

I had no chance to see any machines live in my hometown, instead relying on internet study. There came a time when the Classika just seemed to choose me, and all the “reasons” for buying it were just afterthoughts, anything to justify the decision already made. Let’s say that the looks were a factor, as well as the perceived quality and simplicity in design under the hood. I also wanted the e61 head / 58mm portafilter, so I could feed the upgrade-demon with standard accessory snacks. (Already added VST baskets and naked PF) There is always emotion involved in purchases, perhaps more than we think.

Ferrari
          From a financial point of view, this was not a sensible purchase for me. I did not have the funds. JetBlack Espresso gracefully waited for a month while I was depositing part-payments of the order and adding bits and pieces to it and haggling about the freight cost. (Thanks Amber, Ryan and Deb!) I paid most of it by credit card and may have to sell one of my kidneys to pay it off…;-D

This is my midlife-crisis Ferrari. After all, money is only abstract wealth. Rather than impoverish my life by chasing more cash, I enrich it by spending my money on quality products...and good coffee. Whether I made the best choice for my use remains to be seen. Sometimes you have to stand on the top of the mountain to see the best way up. I look forward to a rewarding hobby and hope to contribute to the SnobCommunity in the future.

I might do a review sometime later down the track, if there is still interest out there. A Big Thank You for all CoffeeSnobs for being there. I am already reading the roasting threds...THIS IS PARTLY YOUR FAULT!Cheers!

Your posts are gold LG, love it XD, congrats absolutely well worth it! ENJOY your new machine

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22838[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22837[/ATTACH]

Then, why ECM?

Ferrari

Congrats! Enjoy your new machine! Making my upgraditis itchier....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
              Coffee ecstacy awaits you LauriG...

Mal.
              Thanks Mal
              And big thanks to you and the regular seniors (you know who you are!). The machine is stunning and dialling in using VST basket didn't take too long at all. I need to work on my distribution but consistently good results are already here, from day one! Using Andy's Espresso WOW to get started.

PS. Is eight shots of espresso considered a good breakfast / brunch .

(Tip for beginners: "Don't forget to eat")

Comment

• Great setup you have there LauriG, well done.

Sounds like your making the most of your new toy, keep us informed as to your progress.

Comment

The machine is stunning and dialling in using VST basket didn't take too long at all. I need to work on my distribution but consistently good results are already here, from day one!
                  Nothing like expectations being met to heal the pain of the purchase price. Love the enthusiasm!

The T64 and Classika make a handsome couple.

Comment

YES. Absolutely! XD

Originally posted by LauriG View Post
                    (Tip for beginners: "Don't forget to eat")
                    Yyyes... absolutely...

Haha

Comment

Had to laugh at that one, takes me back...

Mal.

Comment

• I have a Quick Mill Andreja Premium machine which I purchased when on holiday in the UK in 2013 and brought it back home to Oz as checked baggage on the airline even though it weighs around 25k. It has worked very well over the last 6 years with the only problem being a need to replace a magnet that is used to shut the machine down should it run out of water in the reservoir. I bought the required part online by a Quick Mill agent in the UK and fitted it myself. I would recommend the brand and I would buy another, no problem.

Comment

• Just upgraded from a 6 year old Silvia and Compak K3P to this.
                          Its beautiful. I love just looking at it.
                          my first E61 group machine, wow! Can taste the difference.
                          ECM Mechanika V Slim and ECM C54 Grinder.
                          Excuse the mess, just pulled my first real coffee, a Piccolo topped up with about 50ml of textured milk, after producing about 10 pucs dialing in the grinder.
                          Only upgrade to the ECM is my much loved VST basket.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	5BBE35F3-D021-4744-88B6-14196DEB0262.jpg
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	750535

Comment

• After an interesting 6-8 months with my Linea Mini I took delivery of this machine yesterday.

What for me over the last 5 years as a grail machine that I never thought I would own I now do. There is no other machine regardless of $ that I would own (well besides a Strada 2 group ABR, but that’s just silly for home).

The journey is interesting and I started like many people with a Breville Dual Boiler which I still rate as an amazing machine, then to an ECM synchronika which is fantastic and I couldn’t fault but the wife didn’t like the E61 design with the exposed valve being so close to lever which she burnt her hands. The Linea Mini was next and I rate the machine design and everything which I believe is very ergonomic.

However the GS3 in quality I feel is another level. Given the Linea mini is now approx 6k or 5.7k street price and the GS3 street price is only 2.5k more I think i can easily see the value the GS3 offers and would steer people to the GS3 over the Linea mini these days. I couldn’t justify the extra cost when I purchased the Linea mini but now I wish I had.

Comment

Sunbeam ristretto - butchered
                              Found CS
                              Rancillio Silvia / Rocky onsold
                              Azkoyen Bravo 2 group and some comm grinder (I forget which)
                              Breville BES900 and Smart doser griner
                              Breville BES920 and smarter grinder
                              Breville Touch which got relegated to sons work
                              Now, 920 Smarty and rebuilding a Nouva Simonelli Mac V

Comment

• It does not count because it is not here but I have a Pavoni inherited from my grandfather. In Melbourne I currently have a Breville Smart Grinder and an Expobar IV. Very happy with them. I tried other espresso machines in the past and I experienced some roasting but not professionally. Had fun so far.
                                Last edited by Carloglimpse; 29 December 2019, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X