Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Knockbox

Hi,

Do any of you have the bumper knockbox? What do you think of it? Do any of the sponsors sell them?

I currently have the coffee bean one and find it abit messy with grinds flying out of it when knocking the puck out. I think it has to do with the small opening at the top. The rubber bar has worn out quite abit too.

I am also looking at the grindenstein but have read that it may have the same mess problem with 58mm PFs and can be abit loud.

Re: Bumper Knockbox

Originally posted by lattegirl link=1216784135/0#0 date=1216784135
    Hi,

Do any of you have the bumper knockbox? What do you think of it? Do any of the sponsors sell them?

I currently have the coffee bean one and find it abit messy with grinds flying out of it when knocking the puck out. I think it has to do with the small opening at the top. The rubber bar has worn out quite abit too.

I am also looking at the grindenstein but have read that it may have the same mess problem with 58mm PFs and can be abit loud.
    <<<<<<<<<<< DiBartoli sell bumper....

Comment

I got mine from Barazi in Brisbane

Compact Designs same as Di Bartoli
      And its Australian made

KK

Comment

mod edit commercial link removed ..they shoud have them I just receved a bunper stand from them to day...Great service

Cheeres Gra

Comment

I put a sheet of plastic in my been one that stopped the grinds going everywhere. It was the cover from an A4 coil bound book from a course I did. I cut a circle halfway down on each side to fit around the rod and it works a treat, no more wiping the splash back (never often enough for SWMBO).

Good Luck,

Thomas

Comment

I cant picture that Thomas.
            How about a photo?

Comment

Hey Suzanne,

Veneziano have them, so I got to play around with them. Unfortunately, the importer only started bringing them in shortly after I had already cut a hole in my bench for use as a knock box ... grrr!

The bumper knock box really puts all of the other domestic knock boxes to shame; the metal is really thick, as is the rubber, and it comes with a few spare parts. I didnt really notice that it was any cleaner or more messy than the other knock boxes, but the opening is on an angle that should serve as a backsplash. The rubber seems quite effective at muffling the knocking sound. It takes up a fair bit more counter space than the grindenstein and holds commensurately more pucks. I suppose that the larger size might make knocking out a cleaner affair. My one criticism is that the bar is fixed in place; it doesnt rotate, as the bars on commercial knock boxes do.

In any case, dont take my word for it - you can check them out in the flesh.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I put a sheet of plastic in my been one that stopped the grinds going everywhere. It was the cover from an A4 coil bound book from a course I did. I cut a circle halfway down on each side to fit around the rod and it works a treat, no more wiping the splash back (never often enough for SWMBO).

Wow, I didnt know people did mods on knockboxes too !! hehe... Thomas, I would love to see a photo too

Luca, Thanks ! Ill drop in to have a look at the bumper.

Comment

I can visualise this mod. It would be a rectangular shield curled inside the rim of the knockbox.

Get an A4 sheet of paper and curl it round the inside of the rim. I imagine the sheet will be in portrait rather than landscape orientation. Work out where you need to cut holes that will fit over the bar and hold the paper in place. Thomas has his holes halfway along each opposite long edge.

When you get it fitting right, use it as a template to create it in thin plastic (such as the clear plastic used as a document topsheet).

Comment

That description doesnt help my old brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1216784135/0#9 date=1216864536
                      That description doesnt help my old brain.
                      Im older than you TG (by a couple of years). Anyway, heres my interpretation if you excuse my limited photoedit skills

Comment

Dont sell yourself short on your photoedit skills.
                        Thats great.

Got it now.
                        Thanks.

I might be a better shot than lattegirl though   because I dont get too many grinds going everywhere with mine.

Comment

I had a Grindenstein and now have a Bumper Knock Box, which I love! It is much bigger than the Grindenstein and I have not had any instances of stray grinds, splash back, or whatever. And I have to empty it out much much less than the G.

Lovin it.

Speaking of which, I need to go change my sig...

Comment

Great picture Flynnaus, Much better than any photo would have shown. The photo doesnt show the CLEAR sheet.

I pulled out the cross bar and put in the sheet to mark where the cutouts would go. your drawing is very close to what I ended up with.

Thomas

Comment

Haha... I must admit. The CB knockbox has seen quite a few whacks in her days. Weve had it for over 3 years now and dont have the habit of cleaning out the knockbox till its full and the bottom is always ever so gracefully laced with furry green friends.

Stainless steel would be a better option, no more mucking around with vinegar solution to get rid of the traces of funky fungi.

Comment

Working...
                              X