Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended period

Ive always wondered if it was ok to leave the PF locked in (not tight) the grouphead for any extended period of time ie. overnight to warm up together with the machine set on a timer? Given PFs are quite heavy with some brass in them, would leaving them in the group cause increased wear or stress on the group section itself?

Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

I have always left the PF in the brewhead when my machines were not in use. Mainly because, first thing in the morning, it is so hard to remember to lock it in place while fighting the morning, mental fog. Never caused any problems so far as I can tell. As you said, I just lightly tighten it until the pressure of the gasket stops its motion— not locked fully in place as if to brew— that saves the brewhead gasket for unnecessary compression. .

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G. link=1217597876/0#1 date=1217599497
      I have always left the PF in the brewhead when my machines were not in use. Mainly because, first thing in the morning, it is so hard to remember to lock it in place while fighting the morning, mental fog. Never caused any problems so far as I can tell.  As you said, I just lightly tighten it until the pressure of the gasket stops its motion— not locked fully in place as if to brew— that saves the brewhead gasket for unnecessary compression. .
      Ditto!

Comment

I sure hope not, because leaving the PF loosely in the group to keep it toasty is exactly what I do, as well :-/

Though I cant see how it could damage anything, just to have it sitting there.

Comment

Yes, loosely.......................sometimes I bump it and it falls down and scares the c....p out of me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1217597876/0#4 date=1217632214
            Yes, loosely.......................sometimes I bump it and it falls down and scares the c....p out of me!!!
            What he said...

Comment

I don’t leave it in
              Due partly to safety with a handle sticking out to bump into when walking past as my machine is positioned on the outer edge of the bench

For this reason I leave both my Porta Filters placed on top of the cup warmer
              I run a water shot through the PF to warm it to same temp before any coffee

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1217597876/0#6 date=1217643034
                I don’t leave it in
                Due partly to safety with a handle sticking out to bump into when walking past as my machine is positioned on the outer edge of the bench

For this reason I leave both my Porta Filters placed on top of the cup warmer
                I run a water shot through the PF to warm it to same temp before any coffee

KK
                I disagree. Keep it in, loosely locked, clean, warm and dry.

Comment

I hit my arm on it every time I walk to use the kitchen sink if the PF is left in the group head
                  And I can do without a corked arm Chris

I don’t disagree with others it’s a safety thing for my situation

KK

Comment

Ive actually started leaving mine out lately, rather than locked in.

Partly because my basket sticks to the gasket if I leave it in, so when I take the pf out, the basket stays stuck in and its a PITA to get out, especially when its hot.

And partly because I figure that if I have to run cooling flushes, I might as well kill two birds with one stone - run the cooling flush with the pf in place to get it hot.

Ive noticed no difference in the cup, and I figure thats the most important thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AngerManagement link=1217597876/0#5 date=1217635482
                      Originally posted by greenman link=1217597876/0#4 date=1217632214
                      What he said...  
                      Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj link=1217597876/0#9 date=1217678662
                        Ive actually started leaving mine out lately, rather than locked in.

Partly because my basket sticks to the gasket if I leave it in, so when I take the pf out, the basket stays stuck in and its a PITA to get out, especially when its hot.

And partly because I figure that if I have to run cooling flushes, I might as well kill two birds with one stone - run the cooling flush with the pf in place to get it hot.

Ive noticed no difference in the cup, and I figure thats the most important thing.
                        I had similar problems a while ago,...basket sticking to gasket, that is,...
                        was starting to lock the pf in too tight, it wont stick to the basket if the pf is only loosely in the head. Having said that. mostly it is out when machine is off, I put it in as I turn it on.
                        Bullitt

Comment

Working...
                        X