This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The (Coffee Equipment) Collectors Thread

I thought I would start a thread about collecting vintage coffee machines.

As a keen collector of (mostly) small Italian domestic coffee makers I am always on the lookout for the next wonderful little machine.  

I hope this thread will be a place where people can share images, ideas and opinions on the very best of vintage coffee making machinery. I will get started with a few images from of one of my favourite machines:

the first one to kick of this thread is the ultra-rare Baby Faemina- this little gem is the mother of the modern Presso machine. Mine is complete but unfortunately the main piston seal has shrunk a little and I can not test it out. If anyone has any idea about how to make my own seal- or source one- send me a message. The original is very specific to this machine- I can post images of the piston and seal- I was wondering if I could mould one in silicon from the original?

The machine lacks the clever valve system of the modern Presso- on the Baby you fill the Porta Filter with coffee: then boiling water on top (separated by a small filter/tamper plate)- tricky at best- but for sheer atomic age style- it is an absolute classic-:

Here it is:

"The Baby Faemina"

Re: ( The (Coffee Machine) Collectors Thread )

and another view:

Comment

Re:  The (Coffee Machine) Collectors Thread

Thats a gem.

Comment

Nice machine Jack

I just missed out on this one on fleabay, curse my limited budget It is an Australian made item my guess is it is late 50s early 60s looking at the electrical plug. I supose you would call it an electric atomic of sorts?

Comment

Hi all

Neat. I really do like the Faemina and I like the idea of this thread. I also am keen on vintage coffee machines. By the way some of the earliest coffee espresso machines (1903 Bezerra) would now be antiques (> 100 years old).

Mike

(Good discussion of antique vs vintage http://kb.rubylane.com/question.php?ID=142)

Comment

Hey- I like that machine flying bean! very eccentric looking...

I have never seen that one before- and made in Australia you say? It kind of looks like a coffee maker crossed with an iron... the plaited cord doesnt help...

to me it is not quite an electronic Atomic- It looks more like the popular "Vesuviana" line of machines. The Vesuviana line was manufactured using the same sand casting methods as the atomic type machines. I have an electric Vesuviana in my collection- with the steamer- and it looks just like this Australian machine- albeit somewhat more beautiful and perfectly refined as only the Italians know how:

Comment

and with the jug removed:

Comment

If I was looking for an electronic Atomic:

I really dont think that even in my wildest fantasies I could come up with the following machine. It is not from my collection- and all I know about it is the following images. If anyone has ever heard of a name- or any info at all about this fantastic, gloroius, must-have piece of pure whacky genius: Let me know! Please.

A Double Lever Atomic? And perfectly styled for the Rec room on the Starship Enterprise (the 60s version)?

here it is "The Electronic Atomic" (so called until I find the true name for this fine machine).

Comment

the side view:

Comment

and the other side (this one is worth an extra image):

Comment

Very cool too,

bottom and rear view of the Aussie one, back when we used to make appliences here

Comment

Hmm, well it seems that there are not as many coffee machine collecting fanatics as I though there may be...

I guess I thought it was normal to have over 65 coffee machines to choose from every morning... But then normal is just a setting on washing machines, right?

ah, well. I will continue the thread with the centerpiece of my own collection- a coffee maker that I believe is extremely rare. I cannot find ANY information about this machine- and in all the years I have been collecting have only ever heard of two units. If anyone has ever seen one of these before- please post here and let me know. I am researching the history of the atomic type coffee makers and this Martian is somewhat of a missing link in the convoluted story...

One look at it and you will easily be able to see where it originated from: the very same factory that produced the Italian made atomics. Many of the parts are modified atomic parts. Here it is-

the Ultra Rare- Electric atomic:

"The Martian"

Comment

and here is the rear view:

Comment

Im loving this thread...just sorry I dont have anything to contribute...maybe one day.

Please keep em coming!

Comment

This one surfaced on feralbay last week. Went for more $$ than I could afford. Nice German square lines and functionallity from the 40s notice the lack of whimsey and style of the Italian machines of the time

Description: Manufactured by the famous WMF ( Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik, Geislingen-Steige ). Features a water level sight on the right side indicating 7 large or 8 smaller cups serving. Can be attached to a permanent water line or just filled up on top of the black bakelite pressure release valve/filling spout. The twist-off filter has two different attachements. The espresso cups or thermos can be placed on an adjustable round holder below the spout. On the left side you can see a magic red eye indicating operating temparature has reached and a chrome lever releasing the pressure. Every single detail from this machine is beautifully accented with chromed metal geometrical ornaments and black bakelite making an awesome contrast. Even in the time manufactured this eyecharmer was rare, very expensive!! and very few have survived in this mint condition!!

Comment

Working...
                              X