X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorrentina
    replied
    Re:  The (Coffee Machine) Collectors Thread

Howdy Luca (side note: just spoke to your friend- I am out of syphon filters at the moment- expect a new delivery in 10 days or so- keep an eye on my sight)

I had a feeling the Peppina steamer might be a dud- it doesnt look very good. Shame.

The caravel large filter basket holds around 14 grams fully packed and tamped. The shots with a single pull are tiny and concentrated- a full double pull produces a regular sized shot.

Yes- they are suction cap feet (though with age they dont suction so well). Like a Pavoni the Caravel lever can generate a lot of downward pressure on the whole machine- the suction feet help keep it from escaping. Some user mod the machine with even more feet.

Leave a comment:

• luca
    replied

Hi guys,

Yes, the thermometer is an add-on.  The machine has an open boiler, so I took the lid off and put the thermometer in.

Yes, the machine dates back to the 1970s and is in fairly good condition.  It could benefit from a strip down and rebuild, I think.  I also wonder whether the spring hasnt lost a bit of oomph.

The machine is pretty easy to use, in that it is just a heating element in an open boiler, so its not hard to hit the brew temperature that you want on the head.  However, the machine does tend to produce shots that are pretty thin in body.

The steam wand/lid is pathetic - basically useless.  The lid looks nice, so I removed the steam wand and the digital thermometer probe can hang through the hole that that left.

That caravel looks sensational, but the portafilter must be absolutely tiny.  Like you said, looks like its single shots only! And are those suction cup feet?

Cheers,

Luca

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

finding vintage treasure really is all about the hard yards. I got my first Atomic at a Church sale. It was mint in the box- for the princely sum of $5. I just happened to be there as the old dear placed it on the shelf- it had just come in that morning- and I was up early- a second after I grabbed it a dealer walked past- and nearly feinted when they saw what I had. They offered me 50 for it right away in the carpark....

then 100...

here it is: The Robbiati Milan Badged Classic Atomic:

Leave a comment:

• yeeza
    replied

You need to do that hard yards at Vinnies I reckon. Thats where I got most of mine from. well a few syphons, my Atomic, even olf cafe stuff like ACF cups, Nuova points etc. Vinnies are the goods.

I dont really collect though, just hoard.

Leave a comment:

• Thundergod
    replied

Agreed re the real auction houses.
    My son has been working for a couple for a few years now and has yet to see anything other than commercial machines.

Originally posted by SorrentinaCoffee link=1220240609/20#21 date=1224769489
    There is an OK video of one of these on youtube (be warned-poor editing-bad soundtrack... a tad dull- I love the third comment below the film- be sure to check it ;-) )

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=d6jYwJRBLJg
    I love the fitted tamper.

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

hmmm,

feeBay

or

try real world auction houses. but be warned: you wont find machines very easily.

a syphon here- a moka pot there...

Leave a comment:

• Koffee_Kosmo
    replied

I like this discussion thread and visit it regularly
    Cool machines here
    Ok here is a question

If I want to become a collector
    What are the best sources to pick up unique machines?
    Yes I know evilBay is one source
    I am talking about around my city Brisbane

KK

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

The Ararrex Caravel produces tiny 15-25ml shots- when you get the hang of it they are superb- potent, syrupy, intense, creamy- and mounds of crema.

the entire boiler section can be removed in seconds with no tools- and breaks down completely for cleaning. You can remove the piston, clean everything and reassemble the machine in under a minute. It really is an amazing design. The Stainless steel boiler has an EXTERNAL element- very double lever design, basic gravity feed, non-pressurised boiler- very simple- almost like a toy- the group handle is tiny- but when you start making shots you soon realise it is no toy.

but no steam ability. the only negative.

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

and here are the beautiful lines of the top view:

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

Oops- here it is:

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

here is my favourite machine at the moment- the one I use every day.... I only use my Pavoni Europiccola for frothing milk since I got my Caravel:

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

I stupidly missed out on a Peppina just like that at an estate auction recently- there was so much good stuff there I only glanced at it at the viewing and left a bid way to low. It sold for $86- one dollar over my absentee bid.... thing was mint- unused looking... argh.
    Great looking machine Luca.

How well would you say the machine works? How does the steam wand/lid work?

That shot looks promising. I love the way you just let the lever go and it pulls the shot all by itself.

There is an OK video of one of these on youtube (be warned-poor editing-bad soundtrack... a tad dull- I love the third comment below the film- be sure to check it ;-) )

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=d6jYwJRBLJg

Leave a comment:

• Dennis
    replied

Gotta love that colour Luca - would go with any decor. Looks to be in very good condition for a 40 odd (?) year old!

Im guessing that the digital thermometer is an add on?

Leave a comment:

• luca
    replied

I have an old la peppina lever machine. I have had it for a few years and have a new gasket set for it, but havent gotten around to taking it apart and refurbishing it. When the machine arrived, it was totally white inside and required several acid soakings to dissolve all of the scale.

Cheers,

Luca

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

the side view shows an extra steam arm near the base. Is this for pre-warming the cup?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X