X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re:  The (Coffee Machine) Collectors Thread

Interesting machine Beanflying...
    I cant help seeing a face on it- with half a mustache...

the portafilter looks enormous... I am guessing it is not a true espresso machine (no pump)- just boiler driven.

It is interesting to see the differences in the design aesthetics a various nations: here is another interesting non-Italian lever machine with a very Germanic squared functional form. The Gravity Fed NeoWatt:

Comment

Well there is always the La Marzocco GS refurbished by retroman ( http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1182951021 ). Not quite as fiddly looking as some of these but equally rare.

Comment

Retromans work on that gorgeous La Marzocco was truly impressive... I replace the odd seal... but dealing with rust like that?

brilliant.

I think I saw a couple of E61 machines on ebay a while back that looked the retro mans work.

Here is a machine I came across today on ebay- a true piece of Milan high coffee art- I only wish I had a spare 5K-8K:

the Faema Idrocompresso

Comment

the side view shows an extra steam arm near the base. Is this for pre-warming the cup?

Comment

I have an old la peppina lever machine. I have had it for a few years and have a new gasket set for it, but havent gotten around to taking it apart and refurbishing it. When the machine arrived, it was totally white inside and required several acid soakings to dissolve all of the scale.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Gotta love that colour Luca - would go with any decor. Looks to be in very good condition for a 40 odd (?) year old!

Im guessing that the digital thermometer is an add on?

Comment

I stupidly missed out on a Peppina just like that at an estate auction recently- there was so much good stuff there I only glanced at it at the viewing and left a bid way to low. It sold for $86- one dollar over my absentee bid.... thing was mint- unused looking... argh.
                Great looking machine Luca.

How well would you say the machine works? How does the steam wand/lid work?

That shot looks promising. I love the way you just let the lever go and it pulls the shot all by itself.

There is an OK video of one of these on youtube (be warned-poor editing-bad soundtrack... a tad dull- I love the third comment below the film- be sure to check it ;-) )

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=d6jYwJRBLJg

Comment

here is my favourite machine at the moment- the one I use every day.... I only use my Pavoni Europiccola for frothing milk since I got my Caravel:

Comment

Oops- here it is:

Comment

and here are the beautiful lines of the top view:

Comment

The Ararrex Caravel produces tiny 15-25ml shots- when you get the hang of it they are superb- potent, syrupy, intense, creamy- and mounds of crema.

the entire boiler section can be removed in seconds with no tools- and breaks down completely for cleaning. You can remove the piston, clean everything and reassemble the machine in under a minute. It really is an amazing design. The Stainless steel boiler has an EXTERNAL element- very double lever design, basic gravity feed, non-pressurised boiler- very simple- almost like a toy- the group handle is tiny- but when you start making shots you soon realise it is no toy.

but no steam ability. the only negative.

Comment

I like this discussion thread and visit it regularly
                          Cool machines here
                          Ok here is a question

If I want to become a collector
                          What are the best sources to pick up unique machines?
                          Yes I know evilBay is one source
                          I am talking about around my city Brisbane

KK

Comment

hmmm,

feeBay

or

try real world auction houses. but be warned: you wont find machines very easily.

a syphon here- a moka pot there...

Comment

Agreed re the real auction houses.
                              My son has been working for a couple for a few years now and has yet to see anything other than commercial machines.

Originally posted by SorrentinaCoffee link=1220240609/20#21 date=1224769489
                              There is an OK video of one of these on youtube (be warned-poor editing-bad soundtrack... a tad dull- I love the third comment below the film- be sure to check it ;-) )

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=d6jYwJRBLJg
                              I love the fitted tamper.

Comment

You need to do that hard yards at Vinnies I reckon. Thats where I got most of mine from. well a few syphons, my Atomic, even olf cafe stuff like ACF cups, Nuova points etc. Vinnies are the goods.

I dont really collect though, just hoard.

Comment

Working...
                                X