X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorrentina
    replied
    Re:  The (Coffee Machine) Collectors Thread

hello there Vesuviana, welcome to the world of coffee collecting, and congratulations on your user name choice...

There is a vast array of Vesuviana models- they seem to have been produced from the 1930s/40s right up to the mid 1980s. In Milan I think. The basicform remained the same although there are many different sizes and configurations. All of them are made of polished sand cast alluminum- with bakelite fixtures.

there are some very nice electric Vesuvianas- with frothing arms- from towards the end of production.

but perhaps the nicest are the small 1950s models- very cute design. The bakelite boiler cap is fantastic.

There is also a giant version- bigger than an Atomic. The portafilter on this one in massive: 70 grams?

here is my little vesuviana line up: 1950s Small, 1980s Electric with frother, 1950s/60s Giant:

Leave a comment:

• vesuviana
    replied

thanks very much Thundergod

Leave a comment:

• Thundergod
    replied

PM sent.

Leave a comment:

• vesuviana
    replied

Hi everyone.....I just purchased a VESUVIANA stove top for a friend as a christmas pressie and have not bean (cant resist the pun) able to find any information about them on the web. Can anyone help with a link for history, instructions etc
    Id be most grateful....also ....what a fantastic collection of machines you all have!!
    Yep another collector has bean (!) born

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

hmm, I just added another machine to my collection- it is in the mail on its way from Spain. Before it gets here and I can try it out- is anyone familiar with the "Pierre Cardin" type Mini Gaggia? It is a gravity feed, open boiler- lever type machine:

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied

that Audreys a real 80s flashback...

but- is that black thing protruding above the switches the water tank knob?

if so why placed right above the electric switches?

Leave a comment:

• swig
    replied

I use an Audrey everyday. Works great. Need to do the temp surf thing but makes a great shot. Steam is great to. I have the black one. Have not seen many around lately. My Mum had the Audrey in her cupboard for about 10 years or longer and never used it. It was not until I got into coffee that I realized what it was!

Martin.

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied

Originally posted by cuppacoffee link=1220240609/20#39 date=1226752436
    I had the pleasure of seeing this little beauty this afternoon, circa 1989...

Ahh- the much loved Rancilio Audrey and my first ever machine. Mine was a black one though.

These are internally a Silvia but with a ball-joint 2 hole steam wand which is a whole heap better than the one on the Silvia....Dunno why they changed it.

Wish Id kept mine  

Leave a comment:

• cuppacoffee
    replied

I had the pleasure of seeing this little beauty this afternoon, circa 1989...

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied

Welcome ijz917w.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just edited your posts above. When you type your message under a quoted section of text, you need to type your post after or underneath the code [/QUOTE]...
    Otherwise, your post becomes part of the quote and therefore difficult to differentiate.

All the best,
    Mal.

Leave a comment:

• ijz917w
    replied

Originally posted by beanflying link=1220240609/0#3 date=1220267187
    Nice machine Jack

I just missed out on this one on fleabay, curse my limited budget It is an Australian made item my guess is it is late 50s early 60s looking at the electrical plug. I supose you would call it an electric atomic of sorts?
    Am i mistaken but is this machine based on the mixmaster. ;D

Leave a comment:

• ijz917w
    replied

Originally posted by SorrentinaCoffee link=1220240609/0#17 date=1222933836
    Retromans work on that gorgeous La Marzocco was truly impressive... I replace the odd seal... but dealing with rust like that?

brilliant.

I think I saw a couple of E61 machines on ebay a while back that looked the retro mans work.

Here is a machine I came across today on ebay- a true piece of Milan high coffee art- I only wish I had a spare 5K-8K:

the Faema Idrocompresso

my wife wont let me keep a rancillo z8 but i am sure she would let me keep one of these.

Leave a comment:

• teejam
    replied

Originally posted by SorrentinaCoffee link=1220240609/0#18 date=1222933908
    the side view shows an extra steam arm near the base. Is this for pre-warming the cup?
    HI,IT SURE MAKES THE NEW STYLE MACHINES LOOK PRETTY ORDINARY,DONT YOU THINK? :-X

Leave a comment:

• flynnaus
    replied

Originally posted by SorrentinaCoffee link=1220240609/20#33 date=1224852379
    "keep an eye on my sight"

??
    Eye<->sight. Worked for me!

Leave a comment:

• sorrentina
    replied